www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

RoboWars WIKI Online - The RoboWars Encyclopedia of Widsom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Yep, thats a real one.. the BR6000 is the receiver you need for Combat Robot Use with a Spektrum, and the offer to exchange them is genuine

Thanks for looking though.

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
WiperMotor

ahheemm sorry Embarassed

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:32 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

I noticed that Brett has been doing a lot of undoing on the wiki, is there an easy way to undo the latest changes, without re-writing the whole page again?

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:30 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Yes, theres some stupid bloody spammer screwing things up again. They must have written an auto-register bot that keeps creating users and deleting stuff.

To restore an earlier version of the page, you just go to "page history" at the bottom of the page, click on the date of the old version you want to restore, when it displays, you select "Re-Edit", then "store".

If this keeps up, I'll have to see about fiddling the Wiki Code to put a rego code or manually authorise new users or something on like I do on the forum. Mad

If anyone notices anything else stuffed up, please restore it, but be careful not wind back too far. The spammers are easy to spot at the moment, they using a random character string as their user ID.

I might have to disable the Wiki temporarily until I get time to tweak the code in a day or so if too much damage is being done. Anyone have any suggestions ? I have a server to fix so cant look into it right now.

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

If you can do a globle change to every page and set it up so only the author and Admin can do changes then the auther can add other users as requested later.

This would be a quick fix

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:14 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

is there a plugin captcha system? most wiki's have them.

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Fish_in_a_Barrel

It happened again Sad

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:05 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Yes, I saw. Evil or Very Mad
Buried in work at the moment. I'll try to clean up the mess later tonight.

Looks like I'll have to do some hacking around in the wiki code when I get a chance and try to block users etc. PITA, stupid $#@@#$ spammers - took me six months to find a way to keep them out of the forum

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:18 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Looks like Mike beat me to it. Thanks for the broom-work mike. Smile

I did some checking on the current Wikka page. http://wikkawiki.org/HomePage (if anyone is interested in the program)

Looks like the next version due out soon will have user-registration password codes (like the forum does now), but its not out yet. Hopefully not long.

All the hacks have been done by users with gmail registered accounts with random strings and theres hundreds of them. I was going to use phpadmin to clean them up, but they're obviously being bot-generated, so thers probably not much point until new ones can be stopped from auto registering.

I'll keep an eye on the Wikka site and see when 1.1.7 comes out. If anyone wants to poke around and see if they can find a plugin/patch that looks like it will be a stop-gap, let me know.

I found a couple that looked interesting, but apparently, just deleting users from the tables isnt reccoemended due to the cross-linked nature of the Wiki SQL database. I suppose none of the spammers have created pages, so it might not break things to delete them, but I'll have to do some more checking before I hack into it.

Until then, I either disable the wiki, or we keep cleaning up after the vandals until a user-verification system is written for it. Fortunately, by monitoring the RSS feed of the "recent changes" page, I notice any vandalsim pretty quickly.

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:57 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

Is there a way to clean out all of the page histories, since my celery starts chugging when I try to open too many at once?

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:01 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I'm not sure Mike,
If you want to, have a look at the WikkaWiki Doscumention over at
http://wikkawiki.org/HomePage

I've just done another clean up round after our spamming friends dropped their crud on us again.

This time I've updated the ACL (Access Control Lists) to the ages I cleaned so that write access is disabled except to the page owner, myself, and whoever I thought might be relevant at the time.

If you find a page you need to be able to edit, but now cant, let me know and I will add you the ACL. Likewise, if you find a page that has been vandalised, and restore it, let me know and I will adjust the ACL's

I also went through the SQL tables and deleted all the crap spambot users. I was considering putting in a captcha type of thing like the forum has where you have to get a code to register a Wiki account, but supposedly there is a new version of WikkaWiki due out soon that will have better anti-spam-bot features, so I might hold out for that.

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:15 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Another round of Spam has hit the Wiki - so I have temporarily disabled it for now to prevent further damage.

I dont have time for the next few days to clean up the mess, but should have it back online by the end of the week, and I'll see if I can find some way to mod the code to prevent changes without some little trick (like registering on the forum).

As someone once said "We apologize for the inconvenience: Sad

Do the net a favour, shoot a spammer

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:37 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The Wiki is now back online !

I have cleared the latest round of spam, deleted the spammers accounts (mostly from russia), and modified the Wiki php code to remove the auto-register facility.

All new Wiki Users will now have to email me if they want an account to update the Wiki. I'm pretty sure the ACL (Access Control Lists) are set correctly so that no pages are publicly editable by unregistered users, so that should stop them.

There is now a RoboWars5 page for registration (Step right up, get your Frequencies here !)
http://www.robowars.org/wikka/RoboWars5

I will update it with more information as it develops.

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:58 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Spoke to Steve about this the other day, but wanted to see what others think.

The wiki on this website gets zero love, it's outdated, it's complicated (requires another set of logins, scripting, format) and it's hidden away from the main hub (The Forums).

Back in the old days, we had an Ultimate Guides & Tutorials section in these forums, which in my opinion seemed to be more updated and easily found by everyone who visits these forums. Recently we have also had a couple of guides dropped on these forums (Miles and I did TX guides, Jaemus did a TX battery guide, Steve did ESC hacking guide), yet none of these are on the wiki (IIRC).

TL;DR - Do we ditch the wiki and have a Guides / Tutorial section add to the forum or do we stick with the wiki? Yay or Nay?

The Point Score as at: 19:43 10/2/2014

YES = 3 points
NO = 0 points.

Last edited by Knightrous on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:22 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I liked the ultimate guides WAY more than the wiki, for all the reasons you just mentioned.

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:41 pm