RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

RoboWars WIKI Online - The RoboWars Encyclopedia of Widsom
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

RoboWars WIKI Online - The RoboWars Encyclopedia of Widsom

Greetings Builders.

An idea I have been toying with for a while as my web-skills develop, has now made it into the light of day.. [fanfare]

The RoboWars Wiki ! Very Happy

WTF is a Wiki ? Oh.. For those of you havent heard of WikiPedia yet.. well, its basically a User Editable Web Page - Yes, a web-page that you can edit directly from your browser with not too much more trouble than using the forum's BBCodes. - The idea is simple, how well it works depends on *you*. Smile

Want to share your latest modification guide ? Post information on an upcoming event ? An Event Report ? Have a bot-stats page without having to go through all the hassle of a web-server and Dreamweaver-ing ? Wiki's are the easiest way to do it

Why not just use the Forum ? Well, as we all know, general chatter in the forum can quickly drown out the useful information, to the point where Newbies ask the same questions over and over again instead of using the search function..

A WikiPage can be a FAQ that you can keep tidy, ask for others to add to, update and improve and many other things. If you want to have a look at the most successful Wiki in the world, cruise on over to http://en.wikipedia.org/ and you will get the idea.

The Wiki will probably start slowly, but once more content is added, I'll link it into the Main RoboWars page and it will take a more prominent position in the WebSite. It may even supplant the great (and dusty) Ultimate Guides section as the standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom. Wink

Anyway, be gentle with it, I'm new to administering a Wiki and there may be a few minor issues to sort out to begin with, although I've given it a fairly good test so far. - Editing is restricted to registered users only to start with, So Register an Account Username/Password, then PM to grant you edit access.. and please read the fairly-simple guides linked to at the bottom and have a play in the "Sandbox" First.

If you write some massive treatise or Bot-Page that takes up 20 pages, please keep a copy of the WikiCode on your PC until its proven stable, just incase it heads for the Bit-Bucket (unlikely) and If you have any questions, post them here please.

The RoboWars Wiki is at http://Wiki.RoboWars.org

Enjoy !

Last edited by Spockie-Tech on Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:28 pm; edited 3 times in total

Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

If you don't mind i'm making up a microswitch guide for newbies i might post thar... with a template and all so they can get their bot under rc easily and cheaply. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:19 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Some Updates for the Wiki Users..

> Does the wiki allow photos and are there any size restrictions?

Yes, it does allow file uploads for authorised users, you can get to the upload page here http://www.robowars.org/wikka/FileUpload
That page is also available from the PageIndex section at the top.

There might be a size limitation of 512Kb on Uploads.. I'm not sure yet. The RoboWars site has about 300meg of storage space at the moment (I just upgraded it), so hopefully that should keep us going for a while as long as people dont put videos on there.. Wink Thats what the video.robowars.org server is for..

Once you have uploaded the file using the upload page and they appear in the files list, right click on them to get the link-address and use the "Images" class tag from the docs page here http://wikkawiki.org/FormattingRules to place it on the page.

Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

cool, so its basically like a forum without the wise ass comments and stuff Very Happy Very Happy

tried to register but it came up with "User name must be WikiName formatted!"

look fowards to whacking up some stuff soon Smile

Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:30 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
tried to register but it came up with "User name must be WikiName formatted!"

this should help you out. http://wikkawiki.org/WikiName

EDIT yeah worked for me just follow the instructions *rubs hand together Twisted Evil *
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:07 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

you need to PM your Wiki Username so I can enable write access for you guys

Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:35 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Should we ask you first brett before we do anything? Seeing as it's a proper accumulation of robowars info, i think only people who are pretty experienced should post stuff... Smile Working on a microswitching guide now...

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:26 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

No, post away, just be considerate and thoughtful.

The idea of a Wiki is that the intelligent people will hopefully outweigh the vandals, and the wiki makes it very easy for any of the intelligent people to look at the changes made by a twit and go "thats wrong / rude / whatever" and simply push the rewind buttont to return it to the way it was before it was edited, or else correct the other users mistake, add-to-, expand or whatever is appropriate.

Nothing is lost, the Wiki stores the original and the changes and shows who did them, and allows pages to have "owners" who can be notified as soon as a change is made to that page (using RSS which I'll discuss soon), so they generally stay in pretty good shape.

If you want to put up a page on microswitching techniques, go ahead, just make sure you link it from the right area, and keep it looking readable and your contriutions would be welcome. but dont be surprised if others add-to- or update it.

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:30 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Good stuff Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:44 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I just noticed that when I go to the FileUpload page, I get this message:

You aren't allowed to read this page

Sounds like some extra permissions are required before I can insert pictures in my pages.

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:52 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Should be fixed now. "Nick" had access, but "TeamOverKill" didnt..

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:09 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Thankx, my next stupid question Embarassed : I can use the image tag OK to link an external photo, but on the upload page, right-clicking on the uploaded inage shows a url like this:

http://www.robowars.org/wikka/FileUpload/files.xml?action=download&file=IMG_0151.JPG

I tried shortening it to: http://www.robowars.org/wikka/FileUpload/files/IMG_0151.JPG without success - what's the proper location?

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:37 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Thats a good question.. I dont know Embarassed I thought it was working, but the images I have linked to so far have been external as well..

I know where they are going on the server, but when I try and link to them directly, the Wiki jumps in and tries to make it a pge. I'll fidget with this some more and get back to you soon.

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:57 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

There's always something, isn't there? Smile . I also noticed I can't delete pages, which is probably a good thing. Can you detete the JoltBotInfo page?

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:28 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

OK, Sorted. Unix Folder Owner Permissions Issue. Rolling Eyes

The Wiki created the upload folder with the owner "nobody", and wasnt allowing browse access to it. once you have uploaded things you can now browse and copy the link address from here
http://www.robowars.org/wikka/uploads/FileUpload/

This seems a little kludgy to me, I'll see if theres a better way to do it, but it seems to be working for now.

Oh, and your old Jolt page has been deleted.

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:06 pm