www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

Interchanging armour/weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Author    Thread
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Well, If Skelly swapped back and forth between overhead saw and drill during an event does anyone feel that that would be unacceptable?? Confused

Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:17 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

only if you won Razz

nah I wouldn't have a problem with that.

One of my original plans with Stealth was to make the weapon convertible into an overhead hammer, using the same pivot point and ram setup.

Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

we have been devising drum additions to Plan-F

Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I wouldn't have a problem with changing between any overhead saw and drill - they are quite similar types of weapons anyway.

To make interchangeability more of a level playing field , how about we try this procedure (NOT another rule Wink ):

At registration time, each bot with interchangeable parts announces what they will be using. Descriptions must be reasonably detailed. Unannounced parts will be banned. This doesn't apply to repair parts as long as they are functionally the same as the pert they replace.

When the bots are drawn for a match, all competitors must announce what parts will be fitted within a short period (1 to 5 minutes?). This gives all competitors an even chance to swap to more effective parts.

All bots are weighed going into the ring, after any modular changes have been made.

This procedure will take out the surprise element and allow our bots to evolve into more versatile designs without giving too much advantage to modular bots. As it is not a rule, it would be up to EO's to use to procedure at their events.

Its worth noting that the cheap ghetto bots like Speedbump could be the big winners with interchangeable parts. They are usually lighter and easy to modify to take more armour or weapons.

Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:32 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

My reason for the quick-change weapon on Skelly was to get round the problems involved with repairing a damaged weapon between rounds, weight constraints and the exposed vulnerable right angle gearbox etc made spare parts essential and if I am making spares I would get bored making them all the same, Brett found this the hard way with Acid Test in the early days, He pulled both the full floater drives apart at the same time and mixed up the parts, they were similar but not the same as I was trying to improve on the first one. Smile

One aspect of Modular bots that I really like is the ability to up grade and experiment with different parts of the bot without building a complete new bot.
With Bender we probably wont often if at all change his configuration during an event, it’s more of a decision of how to set him up for a given event, eg Vic series shiny armour NSW spinner fest rubber armour. Smile

With Skelly his weapons were chosen to fit the Vibe we were working towards so yes I think saws and drills are very similar, I just find Mod bots fun to build. Smile

Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:10 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

They sure make things more interesting to build! With Bender, what would you class it's weapon as? Just looking at the photos, I would say it could be an overhead spinner, an undercutter and a saw bot, all with just a simple weapon change and a flip over Smile.

Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:20 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Well I will let my plans for Poochy be known.
Its always been set up for modular weapons and the 2 at the top of the list will be a saw and a thwack tail.

It drives better backwards so a thwack tail would work nice and its shape on the front end would also fit a saw very noice. Its already completely invertable and looking forward to actually doing some damage Very Happy

Just have to weigh the jaws and that will be the weight limit for anything I build.
Should only take up to 5 minutes max to swap over once I build extra components, whenever that will be. Have been wanting to do this for ages but never got round to it but seems like a good time atm to start.

Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:46 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Bender has a couple of saw blades that go on the same as the chipper bars this is the low speed gear motor combo. The bars have a longer reach; we hoped enough to reach Jolts wheels. Smile

A KE disc ala plan B using belt drive, pancake motor and various discs exists as a partial POP, A narrow drum is a possibility.

Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:11 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
The bars have a longer reach; we hoped enough to reach Jolts wheels.

And it's no surprise that I have been working on keep-away devices - long live the evolution! Laughing

Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:15 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

We noted that Andrews’s devices worked well on Stealth. Smile

Bane is going to have quick change hammers that probably qualify’s him as a mod bot to. He is a horizontal thwack.

Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:24 pm 
shreddy

so what are the 'official' rules for this class?
I believe that modular bots should have:
one 'base' chassis per event
same batterys(meaning spares allowed, just no change in batt configuration)
same electronics including weapon motor, including drive/wheels
theses un-terchangeable parts sholud be around half the bots weight

once a mod bots opponent has been announced, a config should be announced within ariound 2-3mins, this gets rid of all secrecy
all configs should be announced at the start on the comp when inspected and all should be weighed/tested
any configs not announced shall be prohibited

im just pondering the idea as i have an awesome design that can swap between vert spinner, horizontal spinner, wedge/ram bot and a thwack bot.
something sure to keep me busy all next year Wink

quote:
and those who need to modify because they can't.

and those who will modify because they can, i believe it is Cool

The day I stop giving 100%, is the day I stop competing

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:52 pm