www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

Interchanging armour/weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

In 1997 sticky tape was a valid weapon. So was gas based weapons. The EO's thought the arena walls only needed to be 7 feet high with no roof. Walkers were anything without wheels or tracks.

These rules wern't changed until someone entered a robot that proved that they should be changed. Will Wright caused the sticky tape rule to be created with his radio controlled car cluster bot. Rhino made the gas weapon rule after its haligen gas ICE killer weapon. EO's decided arenas must have roofs after Blendo sprayed parts of a robot into the audiance. And we all know what Son of Whyachi did to the whole walker concept.

Before then we didn't know what the limit was because we couldn't imagine or decide if we even needed a rule. Then these crazy builders came along and opened our minds.

Right now we don't know where to put the limit on interchangable weapons/armour because we don't know what we are talking about because we have never experianced that bad side of the idea yet. We should hold off making rules and leave it the way it is with the practically unlimited opptions open to the builders. Once someone has built something that clearly should be banned we will then know where to put the rules.

If in 2000 a rule was introduced must have 2 degrees of freedom per leg people would have bitched and argued just like this thread. In 2002 when the rule was introduced everyone understood the reason behind the rule.

We just have to wait for a new evil genius to bend the current unlimited rule too far.

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:24 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

eh eh eh Laughing
How far does "interchangable" go though? I mean, bolt on spinner bars are one thing, but what if someone came along with his van full of pre prepared bot bits, ready to be built like a lego construction, staying in the weight limit by using small drives when a weapon bar is on, or changing to bigger drives and a big wedge? I agree it needs someone to actualy DO this before the rule really needs to be thought about however... no point crying about something which hasn't happened yet... let the innovative builder have his bot... the first to do it should be allowed the win in my opinion Razz

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:43 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

This is robot wars
Person with semi full of parts rocks up.
gets drawn against El-B
goes mega super jolt style
El-B does full arena charge out of the box and flips them out of the arena, round over in 2.3 seconds.

Re the weight thing
I was fairly sure all bots were meant to be weighed going into the arena.
if you are overweight your compeditor has the option of continuing or saying "nah that 4kg Ti bar you added is a bit much to your already 15kg bot"

Saying heaviest wep + armor is what you must be weighed with is just silly.
Because to compete with those wouldnt be fair. Its the arena that counts.

Personally I have no real issue with people having multiplle chassis or even multiplle bots. I don't want to see people win their round then have to forefit because they cant repair their bot in time.

I wanna see peter brock win the race, I don't care if its in a holden.

On the other side the argument against it could be made in terms of cost, there is something to stop somebody buying a win.
(Turning up with 10 Totally Offensives would probbly be less than cool if your bot building budget is $20)
Should there be a rule against having multiplle IBC's? I know most people out there couldnt/wouldnt afford 2. Does that give people who have 2, or can repair their own an unfair advantage?
IBC, Battery, Radio are all big ticket items and generally aer irreplacablle in a round.

Most of the rules coming into racing now are about making money less important, all the rules about engine lifes, number of tyres allowed etc, all there to make less of a difference between the teams with lotsa $$$ and say team cool green (private entry).
An argument based on that would be valid but i have NFI how one would do it.
What is Plan-F's Chassis worth? bout $60 or so.
Replacement IBC $300
Whats fairer to replace?

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:48 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Although on a low budget breaking one or more of those pricy parts would probably send you out for the rest of the comp, as far as i know people will do the best they can to help you replair your bot, and in more cases than not, you'll probably end up with a replacement weapon motor (orbit) or batterypack, or even ibc... Smile its all about teamwork out of the arena. As you said, no one wants to win by default. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:54 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

maybe we need a one make series Razz

How 'bout everyone runs the same bot, based on a cheap design that's easy to repair, and all have pushy matches for ever!

The best thing about this type of sport is the innovation that is a part of each person's design.
The more rules there are the less innovation there can be, and the less interesting it is.

It's obviously disappointing to find other peoples' bots getting better while your own stays the same, but to keep up everyone really needs to work on constant improvements, or new bots to replace the old one.

Jolt's changed a lot as time goes on, but it's still essentially the same bot.
Cobra has become King Cobra, and is certainly very different, but the basic design philosophy is the same.

I tend to build a different bot for each event I end up going to, because I like to try new things, but once I find a design that works well I'd like to stick with it but try different weapon ideas and configurations - and still be a part of the same competition.

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:57 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Jolt's changed a lot as time goes on, but it's still essentially the same bot.

LOL, I am always worried that someone will ask what happened to the pile of crap that competed at the first Annhilator Laughing. Since then, Jolt has changed from an EV to a Mag motor, had 3 types of wheels, 4 blades, 5 new chassis and run from 18 up to 24V. But it's still the same bot!

I have decided that if I build an undercutter version, I will call it something else, even though it would essentially be Jolt turned upside down and with virtually all the same parts.

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:08 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

This is my grandfathers axe.
My father replaced the handle and I replaced the head.
This is my grandfathers axe.

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Mel
Site Admin

Of course 'statements of denial' wont be held against you ADAM. Do give my regards to EVE wont you.

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:21 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

quote:

Of course 'statements of denial' wont be held against you ADAM. Do give my regards to EVE wont you.

I dont get it?

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:34 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Neither Confused

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:54 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Who ever said everything that women say had to make sense ? Laughing
(I dont get it either..)

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

I think I get it -

Am i correct Mel?

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:18 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

If you can't see the above animation - check your browser 'preferences' and tick 'enable GIF animations'

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:27 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

yep thats exactly how we feel after reading your posts! Laughing Razz

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:32 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

this thread smells of fruitcake!

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number