www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

30 second hold rule
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

30 second hold rule

Is 30 seconds too long to hold another robot? If a robot gets held three times in a match, that is half the match spent with no movement. Would 15 seconds be long enough?

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:19 am 
Ali

I think it is difficult to count from when the hold starts ,The team of Razer were very careful not no hold for too long ( the had a timer and started it everytime they clawed ) . 15 seconds seems a bit short too , those extra seconds with a bit of manovering could get you out easily .

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:55 am 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

I think 30 seconds is good, it seems like a long time for the person being held but its over pretty quick for the holder....

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:14 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I like 30 seconds and I dont even have a "control" bot.. Shocked

I know its pretty annoying when a control bot like Scoopy, Skelly, Pinscher or Sproing has you in its grasp, but they're specifically built that way and have had to forgoe other areas (like solid armour) for their clamping ability, so why handicap them further ?

Originally in BattleBots there was no 30 second rule, until Stephen Felk spent the *whole* match holding BioHazard over the KillSaws, which was a bit much.

We had a few discussions over what constitutes a "release" as well that is probably worth mentioning in this thread as well.

In our opinion, if the control bot is able to release the other robot sufficiently so that it is not *touching* the other robot after 30 seconds, then it can immediately move in and grab it again for another 30 seconds..

If it cannot release the other bot completely, then they are "Stuck together" and a halt is called in the match and the two are seperated by about 1 bot-width.

Control Bots can be frustrating to fight, but no more so than a full-body or overhead spinner that cannot be attacked without getting hit, so they should be given an equal chance to use their capabilities.

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Democracy in action. The majority wins.

From the other side, is 30 seconds too short?

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:33 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Just a quick suggestion
in Vic there were a few "stuck" events where it took forever for somebody to go and seperate them, usually its pretty clear after 5-10s that they arent going to come apart.
perhaps some kind of "stuck" call by both drivers could get the seperation happening faster so theres more bashing during the match and less battery wasting driving in circles?

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:42 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Hmm, that would require that both drivers be able to communicate their wishes clearly to a referee quite quickly and clearly, which is somewhat difficult in the heat of battle.

We did think about an electronic hack solution, where each driver had some buttons in front of them that they could use to light up "ready" or "stop" lights to indicate tap-outs and so on.

But that would require that drivers release their controls to push the buttons and they would then have to stand in clearly defined spots, while it appears different drivers seem to like different spots to stand around the arena.

lack of communication between the drivers and referee seems to be an occasionally reoccuring issue. do other drivers have any suggestions on how they think could be improved ?

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:32 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

One of the best things about this comp was that one of the Judges was also the MC, hence the judge could clearly communicate with the drivers. and tell them to shut down etc. It would be good if we could continue that.

I know when I was fighting Scoopy Mel was sitting over the other side which is fine, however I do remember previous battles where it was difficult to communicate with both drivers. The judge could clearly inform everyone that the 30 seconds was up.

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:57 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Strange, I didn't have any problems with people getting in the way of my driving. But I think I'm taller then Mel.

Havn't the americans changed to 30 second rule to 15 seconds?
I don't see the style behind just pinning a robot. Its alright if you have a weapon like Scoopy, but a wedge that just holds you motionless against the wall for 30 seconds is just a cheap way of winning. You should almost point out the wedge or whatever type of robot it is was motionless under the victum for 30 seconds and should be classed as knocked out.

But the bigger problem was robots spinning up and moving before the fight had started. I know several of the builders I was sitting with also mentioned it, mainly with one robot in paticular. Can you hear the start beeps in the fights we recorded? Or do we have to wait for the DVD (Brett said there was a good mic in the arena).

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:40 pm 
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

I`m happy with the 30 second rule, also in regards to the immoblie bot
or unable to self right.
If a bot gets pinned three times for 30 seconds, they`d probably lose the match in my view. Domination over poor control.

Often bots will assist the inverted one before 30 seconds in a good sportsmanly manner, but how often have we seen that backfire!?
eg; Arachnaphobia put El B on it`s arse in RW2, helped out then lost
the match. I didn`t feel great about that one.

After a bot is pinned, the offender should retreat, at least a meter so the victim has a realistic chance of escape.

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:44 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

I think with the start times of the match it got a little confusing, the announcer would say go, but that was just to start the counter, so sometimes people would start with the go and sometimes wait for the counter.

Also a few times both robots didnt move at all, because they didnt know if the fight had started and did not want to move too soon.

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:48 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

I always assumed a spinner couldn't spin up before a match has started... but after reading the rules through (yet again) it doesn't say one way or another.....
....doesn't seem sporting to be able to spin up my 4.5kg "kill opponent now" weapon before the match has even started.

quote:

We did think about an electronic hack solution, where each driver had some buttons in front of them that they could use to light up "ready" or "stop" lights to indicate tap-outs and so on.

But that would require that drivers release their controls to push the buttons and they would then have to stand in clearly defined spots, while it appears different drivers seem to like different spots to stand around the arena.

It may not help with the differing places drivers wish to stand but we're planning on putting in foot-pedal operated tap-out switches here at HoC.... that way no one takes their hands off the controls...

sorry for going a little off topic there...

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:10 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i always was under the impression it was 10 seconds but bretts point about the control bots is a fair one so i think that the 30 seconds is fine.

neweyns point is a good one too, i reckon that it should be setup so that the two drivers and the announcer are standing in front of 1 panel on the arena with the announcer in the middle so you can communicate well.

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:58 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

it's often good to be further apart for radio quality and better viewing angle though

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

I dont think that the 30 second hold rule is just regarding control bots. Am surprised that some consider Scoopy a control bot. If it just pushes you against a wall and then both robots stop moving whilst it cuts you then how is that a control bot as a wedge can do the same thing.

Oddly enough the 30 second rule has been used with more reference to scoopy than any other bot so one of the issues is really pinning your opponent down and that can apply to everybot out there.

In regard to control bots would hope that one day they get more rewards for driving and strategy. We always say this sport is paper, rock and scissors and that’s why its odd that the judging criteria seems to reward scissors or saws for example and does not reward paper bots at all which means they have to do a lot more for a win than any other type of robot.

What makes it even harder is that minor damage has become major damage and charging at your opponent whilst they are spinning on the spot rewards them as you get cuts and scratches from being aggressive and you can likely lose because of it even if you havent really sustained damage and your strategy worked.

Just have to try harder I guess Very Happy

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:20 pm