www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Proposed pre-RoboWars Builders meet- 7th Jan @ SideTracked ?

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Proposed pre-RoboWars Builders meet- 7th Jan @ SideTracked ?

As usual, RoboWars is zooming up on us..

I had planned for one more builders meeting prior to the event.. The idea was to try and save everyone the stress of that last day or three when you're working hard to pull it all together.

By holding this meeting, the idea was at least you would get most of those last "it will only take a few minutes" jobs (that somehow turn into hours) done the week before, and hopefully get some sleep prior to the big weekend with long days..

However, I've just looked over the entrant list, and I see that 95% of the entrants are experienced roboteers who have always managed to get it all together before, so I'm not going to hassle too hard. I'm confident that you will all make it. if you "prefer" the 2am panic build, your choice. Razz

@Newcomers. If you have never competed before, trust me.. you *dont* know how hard it is to get it all together, and I *highly* reccomend finishing your bot at least a week before.

You have about a 1% chance of doing anything worthwhile otherwise.. you dont know how your batteries will perform, how the bot (or you) will drive, whether some little easy-to-fix-at-home part is going to fail after moving 5 feet or about a million other things that can go wrong. Ask any experienced roboteer and listen to the answers ! Wink

Rememeber the #1 tip for winning from Carlo (bioHazard) though.. "Finish your Robot before you come to the event !" (Preferably well before)

You Interstate guys who are driving down, please try extra hard to do this too, I dont want to hear about any "pack it in the car and lets go, we'll finish it when we get there !" stories at 4am. Be alert and awake driving please.

Anyway, I didnt mean to "mummy" you all.. just to explain that if the experienced builders would rather the time at home to work, than another meet @ sidetracked, I'll understand.

So, back to the point. who *would* like a builders meeting on the 7th ?

Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:39 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Just wondering if there was something that could be posted on the structure of the RW3 weekend. eg Are the lightweights going to be on just on the sunday, is it the same for exhibition matches etc. Will be juggling parts around so some idea of the order will help with preperations.
Might be good to time limit the lightweight matches rather than let them go for 6 minutes or till the batteries melt out. lol

Also should ask about the first round. I think Gary mentioned it might be seeded or will it be drawn from a hat at random.

Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:19 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

As far as the lightweights go it’s a legit class and I think it should conform to the 3 minutes with proper judging, a cluster bot might make it interesting, imagine KO and Rat teaming up etc. Smile

Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:07 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Cluster bots would be fun but it probably needs some discussion on the rules.
Even though they are the same weight in total u could argue theres an advantage strategy wise with 2 drivers against one.
I think the rule in battlebots is that if u KO one of the clusters u win the match.
Controversial I suppose but just food for thought, personally sounds like fun either way.

Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:16 am 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

Well anynews if we are doing it?
Just wonder if I should tell work I can or can't work then
I would not mind a get togeather and I "should" have my bot more or less done by then lol

Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:48 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

My recollection of discussions about clusters for the lightweight comp went along the lines of no spinners even though they might be perfectly legit feather spinners [Brett’s mandate] and if 2 feathers are combined to make a lightweight cluster they are both considered knocked out if the heaviest segment is counted out eg more than 50% of the combined weight, If the lightest segment is counted out the heavy segment continues and fights alone, sort of makes sense to me. Smile

Post Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:54 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

No, after consulting with a few builders, I think the weekend would be better spent at home working on the bots

I know mine would - They're close.. I hope to have them driving this weekend.. - like you all should Wink Driving Practice Rocks..

Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger