www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

NSW Season 4
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Odd numbers are inevitable. Should we use 3 ways or Byes to solve them?
Yep. I like 3 ways.
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
Byes are fair.
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Other. I have to be different.
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

Author    Thread
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

NSW Season 4

Well another successful season is over for the NSW camp and it is now time to start thinking about next season.

Hopefully we can start to flesh a few events dates out, and discuss other things.

To kick it off, I'll put a poll up about three ways vs byes. I know three ways are more exciting than byes, but try to think of the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:33 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

3 way with 3 minute rounds and some sort of non tie inducing preferential system to pick a winner.

Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

I love a three way, (never mind the jokes!), something Iv`e missed and seems most of us would prefer to have a rumble rather than just advance by sitting on the side lines.?

Soon I should get next years callendar from work with all the holidays on it and can jot out a new season. Unless someone else wants to jump onto it?

Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:26 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Three ways seem also to speed up the competition, and i must admit it does vary alot (eg, your bots roaring to go and you get a bye compared to your bot's just been trashed, you need to charge batteries and the three way is about to start! Sad )
Also i think it's about time we considered sticking in some kind of ventilation into the arena, not only did the smoked electronics stay in there, but it simply collected heat like an oven thw whole day!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:31 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Philip cools us all down when he vents CO2 in the pits Cool

Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:34 am 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Byes suck, but 3 ways can also be bad.

say the 3 way last event with Jolt, Bob and Speedbump, of course the two pushy bots ended up ganging up on Jolt more, resulting in him getting shoved into the corner and jammed.

I think two robots will always go for the robot they think is the biggest threat. So one robot might lose when if the fights were one on ones it would have won.

Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:17 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Well one person has voted for other. So what's their suggestion?

I agree with Lindsay to some respect. I also agree with angus.

3 ways are fast, but also not as fair in the actual fight as it brings in to play other factors ie politics etc.

Byes are favorable to one robot, and can also slow down the day.

I dont't think there is a perfect solution to this problem but hopefully we can come to a consensus though.

Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:33 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I'm not sure how byes slow the day down Confused seems if a bot just misses a round, that's a match that never happened so there is no time taken.

The three way matches are more fun to watch for sure. They can also disadvantage the parcipitants as they can potentially recieve more damage than in a two way match. How would you feel if you were a pushy bot against Jolt & plan F? Jake & I would want to stay away from each other as long as possible, so the 3rd bot would be a ping pong ball between us Laughing.

The other thing with 3 way matches is that they are more likely to go to a vote as it's harder to KO two opponents. For me, it's a hard choice between giving a competitor an advantage with a bye or a disadvantege with extra damage. I know the US avents all seem to use byes, I don't know their reasoning on it...

About the heat: could we get some radiator fans with their cowls still attached and make up a panel that fitted into the door? We should fit 8 fans into a door panel. an alternative would be to get a large secondhand industrial extractor fan - I can probably locate one and they run on 240v, so easier to supply the power.

Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:45 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

with the heat extraction i was thinking we could remove a side wall panel up near the top, if i remeber correctly the panels in the top back wall run sideways not vertically?

so we remove one and amke an mdf / whatever replacement with the fans in that. That way the fans are nice and high to get the hot air.

I think fans in the door could get messy and possibly more unsafe.

also Angus had a good idea, use 240v pedastal style fans, easyier to set up and run than radiator fans and I often see them on the side of the road, and can start collecting them. Easy to power and plenty of air flow.

Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:03 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Taking a backpanel out makes sense - neater and safer. although we should check how Jeff's nieghbors will take it - hot smelly air being blown into your house doesn't sound popular.

I was thinking that if we used one or more fans from a commercial air con system (as seen in large office cielings), we could use some ducting to direct the air vertically and avoid angering the locals. With the amount of heat absorbed by that tin roof, we will need a huge air flow to keep the arena cool - I don't know if pedestal fans will do it. A few fans in the viewing area would be most welcome though Smile !

Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:44 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Why not buy some insulation and do the shet roof. Would probably only take a couple of you around 2-3 hours. Smile

Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:57 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

That wouldn't work very will over the coarse of the whole day id imagine... and doesn't take care of the air movement so we can allow ICE bots. Sad

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:09 am 
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

I had thought about the nieghbours out the back. Thats why I had been thinking about blowing the smoke and stink vertically.
There is a gap along the middle of the roof. fans directed with a cowling out through the highest point would probably be the most sensible way to go.

We`ve got $410 in the account if we need to spend any money. Very Happy

Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:46 am 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

hi all ,been a while just letting you all know i wont have time to compete this season ,my buisness is booming and im also building a brand new home so between the two, this year is booked up.
but n the future i hope to get back into it if you are all still competing
i will keep checking out the site and i hope to checkout a couple of events "time permitting" cheers and have fun Very Happy

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:53 am 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

thats very sad news Sad

hope to see you back soon!!

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:09 am