www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Best weight to defence armour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I hope thats an example of Philip humour. Shocked

You do realise he's talking about an LPGas bottle I believe ?

Flush it with water. I dont know from personal experience, but I would imagine the ones who *have* found out that you should have from personal experience probably arent around anymore to say you should flush.

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Don’t think giving this sort of advice on public forum is a good idea but I have heard that after venting for a few days [remember propane is heavier than air]. Wave a long lighter near hole where you have removed valve. Best to wear gloves, earmuffs and safety goggles. You will either get nothing, a gentle woofey flame or a bang so point the opening away from you. Once it goes out it is safe to cut. Now remember this is not my advice I am only repeating something I heard.
Personally I would prefer not to mess around with water, that’s more for petrol tanks. And then it is best to use an air powered angle grinder and wait for a warm sunny day. Petrol seems to really work its way into the metal.

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:15 pm 
wilko

but if u filled it with water all the gas would float to the top?

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:48 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

maybe he means if you just keep on filling it with water eventually all the gas will be displaced out of the tank..

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

That would be the idea.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:57 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Petrol tanks normaly have folded seams thats where the fuel gets traped ive welded and soldered on petrol tankls after takeing out all the bungs -tubes and any other places i can open to allow air in and fumes out then put them out in the hot sun for at least 3 days in a row and then either run warm air from a beaver spray paint blower or a reverse vacume cleaner into to it for another 10 minutes or so to make sure there's no fumes ..water makes petrol condense so any traped in the seams will usualy stay there if you flush it with cold water. Gas should be similar to petrol to difuse but with only one opening i would sugest leavinig it open upside downfor a couple of days to let the gas fall out and also subject it to a good flush of warm air before cutting .

Be carefull if it is an old gas bottle as they can get a build up of an oily scum inside them from the adidtive that is put into make the gas smell.

LPG naturely doesnt have an odour so the gas compaines add an oily substance to make it smell which can absorb some gas and then release it when heated with a grinder or oxy etc .

I have drilled and welded on gas botles before but what i did was let them air up side down for at least a week with out the valve then added a water based degreaser (koala brand or similar) (not fuel based )and flushed them out with water afterwards to get rid of the oils .Aother way which is hard to do but which some old timers did on fuel and gas tanks was to let them dry out then put the exaust from a diesle engine into them while welding so as to keep them flushing with a suply of basicly inert gas .

What ever way you try just be carefull and if you think there is any gas left dont cut it until you are sure there isnt .

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:14 pm 
Damien (not Damian)

This might be a bit late but...

What IS air armour? I've never heard of it.

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:48 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

It’s when you deliberately leave a space between the outer shell and the inner works so an enemy weapon can dent or penetrate your bot without hitting any thing vital. EG Jolt tore a hole in Bane adjacent the batteries but needed to penetrate another 50 mm of air Armour to hit the batteries. Smile

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:52 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Basicaly if a spinner can't hit you, it can't do any damage, regardless of it's destructiveness... Razz

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:11 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

It is slightly more complex than that Angus Razz

Its the idea of having an air gap inside your robot between an outer shell and your inner breakable bits.

So say if a robot with a saw has 5cm of reach with the blade, if you have 10cm of air armour the saw slices through the outer armour but the rest of the intact armour stops the robot from getting closer than the outer shell, so the blade only reaches halfway to your vitals.

Same thing against a spinner, the spinner rips chunks from yoru outer shell, but even with bits missing it stops the spinner getting close enough to damage your vitals.

It also applies to axes, spikes etc, they can penetrate your outer armour but not reach the vitals.

Usually using air armour you end up with a big bot and thin armour, but lots of it can get dented, torn off or filled with holes without damaging the internals.

My first robot, Robort, was like this, it has all sorts of lightweight armour, chicken wire, plastic, stell tube etc wired onto the outside and fighting Jolt it got most of it torn off, but Jolt could never reach anything critcal to kill me outright.

Air armour is great Smile, cheap too!

Last edited by prong on Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:41 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Sproing has its own type of air armour as well

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:56 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

For my new bot 6x7 I didn't have much weight left for some top armour, with robots around like scoopy doo and sceletor it was important to stop things comming throught the top into the vitals. I have there for setup a peice of air armour that will stop me being invertable but will stop the saw's from reaching anything vital. the armour is made from polystirene with a thin layer of plastic over the top. It would be usless against spinners, but it will stop any saw blades from getting at the internals, and we have yet to have a spinner with an overhead saw as well.

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:13 am 
maddox

Hannibalito uses a belt of 10mm UHMW PE, and that is scratched at best after a year of use. The bottom and bottom partially armored with 5mm UHMW PE

It's not expensive, easy to work with, and it floats in water.

Post Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:19 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Very Happy I use UHMW.
Did you know it CAN crack? Jolt showed roadkill that on a couple of ocassions. Apart from that it's a very nice material, easy to work with. Smile

EDIT: well crack isn't the right word, it sort of tears like cardboard would I guess is the most similar thing to it.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:51 pm 
maddox

Never seen UHMW PE crack or tear in any other way than like a chewing gum drawn out.

Maybe if it was in the sun for too long, all plastics degrade in sunlight.
Another way to do it, is to freeze it with liquid nitrogen, and even then it stays rather resilient.

But it is soft.

Post Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:00 pm