www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

tank treads
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

Well I don't think a weight bonus is really needed. Robots like 101, Mortis, El Diablo all competed with varying sucess and didn't need bonus weight to do so. Also Trax from the UK did fairly good in Series 7 until knocked out by Storm 2.

Post Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:24 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

If you were skilled enough to do a good job of building tracks you probably wouldn’t be asking these questions do you have anyone helping you who has a welder and preferably a lath?
If not best you stick to just wheels for your first bot, just surviving up your way is getting tough enough without burning up precious weight points on cosmetic additions.

As far as the UltiBot comp being good for tracks they seem very determined to stick with their weight limit and I would be really surprised if they allowed any extra weight to someone because they had rubber band tracks.

I doubt that the terrain will be worse than driving around on the average suburban front lawn, bit of grass bit of dirt in don’t water the lawn Sydney. Smile

My reasons for thinking that is Netbot runs 100w scooter drives x 4 and that’s about as much off roading as it will cope with and the arena is so far away from the control bunker that any bumps in the topography will interfere with line of sight to the fighting units for those using laser com links etc and us with our optical binoculars trying to mare out what hell is going on.
Or maybe I am thinking of a disaster area rock concert. Have to call one of the Rotwang bots the Black ship. Very Happy

Post Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:34 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
btw george is POD a fighting robot or just a nice show piece?

It is being prepared to fight Glen, even though its my second feather and can only be used for exhibition matches. I was thinking the most appropriate robot for it to take on would be a saw bot, guessing some of u would like the chance to saw off the tracks. Just have this feeling.

I wouldnt call any of my robots show pieces as they all have function and form before looks.
The body is a piece of C channel that Daniel gave me from The Junkyard and the top half is a piece of stainless that Gary gave me, I just drilled some holes in it.

Another tracked robot with some success is Atomic Wedgie, It got in a final with Diesector, had to beat Minion to get there, and Minion is a champion bot. Do all was anbother tracked robot that was in the final of the first season of battlebots.

My favourite is probably Mortis as it was fast and u coudnt even see it had tracks until it was inverted, but it could self right.

Keep something in minds peeps, u dont fight with the tracks, they are for movement only. Its whats on the front of the robot that u will deal with, whatever that will be.

You should just be thinking of the type of skirts you will put on your own robot boys, girls and especially noobs.
Either pleats or floral patterns will probably suit. Cool

Post Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:28 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

The new version of Mortis, called Mortis Infranor is suppose to be able to do 30MPH with tracks. It has two gearing options, a two speed hammer and lifter.

More info over here: http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/forum.htm "Search for Maelstrom"

Post Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:50 pm 
wilko

how would rubber belt tracks do with a whipper snipper powering them

Post Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:05 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

That would depend more on what was in the middle than either end (so to speak).. Smile

Petrol powered Drives are *very* difficult to do. You require starter motors, clutches, reversing, differentials, fuel feed systems that wont stop when tipped on their side or upside down and so on. There have been very few ICE Drive bots that have actually worked.

Rubber-band track belts sound like they would be easy to do, but I havent done them, so I might be talking through my hat.. Smile

Last edited by Spockie-Tech on Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

that link george posted with the servo powered chainsaw gearbox would be perfect... would be interesting to see a chainsaw powered robot driven through a really solid version.. if only i knew how the worked Crying or Very sad

but why would you want to use gas power anyway... dont they generate high power at high rpm which is totally the opposite to whats needed..

Post Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I think you mean *low* rpm there Glen.

Petrol Motors are quite good at generating power at high rpm, but at 0 rpm they stop/stall and need to be started again, which is opposite to what we want.. for a drive system anyway

You want maximum power at 0 to low rpm to start and stop the bot all the time.. not many bots have to move in a straight line for more than a few seconds at a time. Not what a petrol motor is good for at all.

Thats one of the reasons trains are electric and you dont see Petrol Powered Elevators and the like..

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:24 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

That's why it is beneficial to use a hydrastatic drive with an IC motor so you can use the full torque and HP of the motor at all ranges of the required speeds. Black Knight has used this form quite sucessfully...

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:30 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Wilko lets see if I have got this right.

You won’t to build a robot as a school project, capable of fighting in the featherweight class at the HOC, Using rubber band tracks and a wiper sniper ICE powering the drive? And a wiper motor powered saw?

You have $500 and a POP consisting of a fire extinguisher, circular saw blade, Pegout parts and a wiper sniper?
Your school is giving you the use of tools lathe welder etc?
You have a team of? School friends helping.

You wont to know if an IC drive powered tracked bot with an electric wiper motor powered saw are the way to go.

Ronin one of the old Battelbot competitors was similar to that.
He used the IC to drive the saw and the electricity for the track drive.

If I had to try and build something out of your parts and tracked, saw, IC preferences something along the lines of Ronin is the way I would go. Smile
Try finding team Sinister.

I would keep the fire extinguisher handy to put it out whenever it catches fire. Very Happy

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:29 am 
wilko

no i'm not using a wiper motor i'm either using a 12v buff for the blade or the whipper snipper for drive and blade. Rolling Eyes

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:08 am 
wilko

i've got it!!! one of those cogs that drive one way but just spin the other hooked up to a flywheel+blade that way when i'm going it spins up the flywheel conected to the bade then when i stop the blade keeps going Wink Very Happy Laughing Shocked

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:14 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Basically a freewheel sprocket off a pushbike. For that effect, I'd just use the clutch on the IC motor...

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:46 am 
wilko

yeah but i'm using the ICE for powering the bot as well as the wepon other wise the flywheel would keep the bot moving and stop the blade quicker

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:56 am 
wilko

and for the feul tank i'll hav it pivoting so the tank stays level all the time

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:03 am