www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Li Pol batteries
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Li Pol batteries

What are people opinions on these. I was reading about some packs that can deliver high amps, 120 A pulsed 90 A cont. They were 6000 mAH, 18.5 v and only weighed about 600 g. The downside is that they were US$400.

Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:06 am 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

I've been sussing out Li-Poly batteries lately too....
What I've found is....
DON'T try to high volt/high amp charge them - they don't seem to mind blowing up if you try (so slow charge with a Li- Poly charger only)
if they get pierced, they may spark and burn Sad ... but no battery likes getting pierced anyway.

Those are some huge Li-Poly packs you are looking at though.... the ones I'm looking at are 13.6V 1800 mAH that weigh much less than 600g and only cost about $70 AUS. Cheap enough to have several packs that can be interchanged between bouts...
The 11.1V packs (1800 mAH) at the local shop are only around $45 AUS, with charger to suit only $65 AUS approx.
Confused I'll have to check the amps on the packs though.

Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:31 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

90A continuous would be fantastic! From all the warnings I have read, LiPoly batteries are rather delicate & demanding; they would be better in a bot with a current-limiting ESC and fan cooling. Manufacturers also recommend shock-mounting and foam padding - how do you combine fan cooling with foam padding? Rolling Eyes

The US guys mostly use LiPoly in antweight bots where its more affordable. I looked at them and decided they were still too expensive, even if they solve some weight problems.

Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:33 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

from what I've seen they don't last too long (short cycle life) and they are very finicky about charging.

The charge voltage needs to be within 0.1v of specs, and the current must be controlled depending on the capacity of the cell.

Over current or over voltage will kill them very quickly, which also means that you can't fast charge them (actually you can't really even slow charge them - they have to be charged at a specific rate)

Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I held a li pol today. It was surprising how light it was even though I had already read it's weight. The 11.1 v 2450 mAH 12C battery was half the size of the palm of my hand and about the weight of a receiver battery. All for only $150. It would only take four of these to make Marauder happy. Two in series two in parallel. Then another four while the first are on charge. I wont be buying them any time soon.

Post Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:13 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Does anyone know if the voltage increase with these batteries.
example is a 14.8 volt battery actually 14.8 volts.
Was wondering if you had a ten cell esc which in theory can handle 15 volts, would that be safe to use with a 14.8 lipol or would the lipol battery increase its voltage when fully charged. Otherwise you have to go to 11.1 volts.

Post Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:02 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I am just guessing here, but I notice that the PCMguard charger accessory sold on RMP limits the cell charge to 4.2V per cell. That adds up to 16.8v per 4S pack, which might toast your ESC Sad Best to ask Steve at Hilltop Batteries or Jim at RMP.

Who's going to be first to run a featherweight bot entirely from LiPoly in Australia?

Post Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:59 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I think Carnage Nick will Cool but you might beat him Magmotor Nick Razz

Post Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:50 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

yeah, I'm getting some packs sussed out at the moment... master-instruments can build Li-Poly packs to meet individual needs - but the cells are 3.6V each (I think) and from what I read yesterday, they really don't like high amp draws...

but while I was checking out a hard copy catalogue (from M.I.), I found some thin SLA packs in 12V - at only 800 grams per battery..... tempting....

Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:07 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

The LiPol cells I was looking at on the MI site were fairly good. All were 3.7v cells and they have from 250mah right through to 1000amp cells. 80% of the cells I looked at all had a 2C continous rating and a 10C peak rating.

Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:49 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

I don't think marauder would need 4 batteries. Your driving off the drill packs atm and the main problem i think your having with them is charging. I think one pack at 22.2v or would work fine. If it was one of the 1800mah ones nick can get it would prolly cost bout $100 and i think that would drive you round for a fair while. Or you could buy a triton and charge the drill packs properly and this would also let you charge the LiPols if you bought them.

Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:02 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Check out the largest 6AH packs from Polyquest ont the RMP site - 90A continuous. Another problem with LiPoly that you only find in the fine print is that you can only charge them at 1C or risk damage or a fire, so a 6AH pack would take up to 6 hours to recharge and you would likely need one pack for every battle at an event.

I typically use about 2.8 to 3AH of my NiCad packs so I would need 3 hours charging time plus cool-down time between matches - at least 8 packs (two x 11.1V packsor $1600 US Shocked

Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:26 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Another problem with LiPoly that you only find in the fine print is that you can only charge them at 1C or risk damage or a fire, so a 6AH pack would take up to 6 hours to recharge and you would likely need one pack for every battle at an event.

I typically use about 2.8 to 3AH of my NiCad packs so I would need 3 hours charging time plus cool-down time between matches - at least 8 packs (two x 11.1V packsor $1600 US

Wouldnt 1C mean that you could charge a 6000mAh pack at 6A? That would only take about an hour and a half, not 6 hours . . . much less costly looking at it that way

ffej.net

Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Waddy the phoenix

dahhhh wtf does the "c" meen??

Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:49 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

The C stands for Capacity well sorta. If you charge at 1C then that means you charge at the same Rating of the Battery eg 6000mah as above. 2C would be twice as much.

Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:01 pm