RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

fan motors
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

fan motors

just continuing on from the old forum.

just what i reported on from my little adventure to pick and payless today and from seeing other robots in action.

holden gemini's - sorry used on of these. these motors always look pretty new and beefy, seem to have decent power

telstar - efficient as they had 8amps stamped on the case and from reports from jake, plan b also worked well using this motor i think. high speed.

audi, bmw, volvo and alfa romeo - for some reason these cars A/C condenser fans are humungous. the one i got from a volvo 240 is huge, about 125mm diameter and by the looks of things is series wound also made by bosch i got it for $10. the BMW fan motors are made by lynch i noticed too.

Holden commodores, you know the old ones - these motors are pretty big, about 100mm diameter with an 8mm D flat shaft.

old holden astras' - have a flat spinning plate and is a fairly decent sized motor. i wouldnt have minded using one if they werent so tall.

question, what car did scoopy doo's saw motor come from, what car did the flat plate motor the old sorry and catalyst used come from?

i think thats about it from me..

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Scoopy runs a standard non air con valiant heater fan motor this is a series motor so theres no ferite magnets to brake if it gets a big hit the series motor has good starting torque and very high no load speed a good choice for a saw.

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:33 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

nah, plan-B wep came from *near* a telstar lol
it was an after market addition by the look of things.
hopefully plan-C will make use of something like an EV ;->

i think we have too much weight in the fiberglass in this one, we'll probbly go to more foam next time

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Hey Valen, wanted to ask you how you did the rubber on your wheels. very clean looking. Looking for solution to a wheel rim problem, any help apreciated.

Post Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:00 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

we machined up the hubs out of solid AL (next time we will do it differently and much lighter, the wheels are one of our single largest mass items). then put them in a mould then cast polyurithane onto them.
just had a look over them then and there are a few small nicks and scratches in them, one moderatly sized chunk out of one tyre, dont know where that came from, i dont think we got attacked there.

Post Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

does any one have the dimensions of the flat plate motor from a magna i think, same as in catalyst (jeff?)

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Valen:
just had a look over them then and there are a few small nicks and scratches in them, one moderatly sized chunk out of one tyre, dont know where that came from, i dont think we got attacked there.

Sure it wasnt Inspector General ? Twisted Evil Although I dont remember fighting Plan-B. did I ?

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:01 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

you sure did fight plan b Smile

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:47 pm 
mytqik

I am confussed.

I am 100% positive that I read on an oversea's webpage that the Bosch EV Warrior was very very similar to eurpoean (especially BMW & Merc) fan motors.

Am I dreaming or did I actually read this? How similar have other fan motors been to EV's?

Has anyone tried to use these as drives or only as weapon motors? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:48 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

you would be correct. i believe the EV warrior is basically a bosch GPB of which you can find in cars like alfas, bmw's, volvos etc.

i have a bosch motor from a volvo thats a little bigger than an ev and probably has as much power.

andrew (totally_recylced) found an ev knockoff thats even bigger with a thicker shaft in a tractor radiator IIRC

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:05 pm 
mytqik

Have people used the EV or fan motor as a drive motor? I have seen guys overseas do it, but has anyone here tried?

If so how was it geared down? Chains, Belts or Gears?

Does anyone know what the stall current of the EV is? What about the no load rpm?

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:52 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lots of people have used the ev warrior as a drive.

usually the general rule of thumb for geardown is to have the reduction the same as the wheel diameter in inches (its an american rule of thumb...)

gears, chains, belts whatever, i think theyve all been done with the EV

stall current i think is 120amps and speed is 5000rpm, thats on 24v go to www.robotcombat.com and go to the market place for the real specs.

theyve been used in all weight classes nearly, feathers, lights, middle and heavies.

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:00 pm 
mytqik

Glen,

Thanks for the heads up. Go you load robotcombat.com at the moment? I cant & I am wondering if it is down or whether it is the chinese government filtering out websites I can access (again) Mad

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:04 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

http://www.robotcombat.com

working for me Smile

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:09 pm 
mytqik

Tyoical chinese government Twisted Evil

I beleive that I can not access about half of the webpages that are actually out there. Defiantely no media webpages, nothing that mentions government, military, guns, or any thing that a little chinese man could use to over throw the government. Oh well such is life living in a communist country Sad

I am thankful I am coming home at the end of this month.

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:13 pm