www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

fan motors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Author    Thread
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Can someone get me a fan motor like plan b? how much r they?

Im pretty sure that Plan B use the Nippon Denso Magna TR fan motors too. They used to use an aftermarket Ford Telstar fan I think . . .

BTW, where are you getting these power ratings from? On all of the TR Magna fan motors ive broken, they have had no indication of power output, just the brand "Nippon Denso", "Made In Japan" and a number like "12300K" or "7200K", I was under the impression however that these motors chucked out a fair bit more power than your average RS-540 . . .

ffej.net

Post Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Hi Jeff, is there any chance of posting a pic of the TR motor? I already have several motors that Jake thought were the same as the model he uses, but there could be subtle differences. I will put up a pic of what I have later today, hopefully with an interior shot as I hear they are very easy to open.

Post Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:43 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

I did post some pics up a while back, but I think that may have been on the abbl forum, which is now dead.

If im still awake when I get home tommrow at about 7pm-ish (I wont be sleeping till then, thanks to tonights LAN party and work the next day . . . ) ill see if I can find the remains of one and take some pics for you.

They are pretty easy to identifiy after you remove the top though, they look like the thin gap motors with no iron core, have a big, very strong, magnet on the bottom, theres a nice big ali shaft coming from the armature that turns into a plate with 3 M5 screw holes at the top, and all of the brushes are under the armature. Also, when all of their mountings are removed so you just have the bare motor, they wont sit flat because of the brush mountings and the bearing housing on the bottom.

ffej.net

Post Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I will be hurrying home to take one apart Very Happy So you are saying that some of the outer casing is not strictly needed and could be replaced with lighter ali mounts? was the magnet ferrite or NIB? These motors arestarting to sound very promising...

Post Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:35 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

and they have little tracks on the flat copper plate that move out to the edge of the disk, then back in. and because of the close proximity of the plate and the magnets underneath, if the motor gets a big enough hit they will touch and smear these tracks which buggers the motor

hence why you shouldnt stick spinner bars on them Smile

i would think they have ferrite magnets, but the magnet itself is a huge donut shape the same diameter as the entire motor. (replacable with nib magnets i wonder mwuhaha Very Happy )

Post Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

the magnet is a disk of ferrite about a cm thick and quite powerfull.
(also fairly brittle yaknow ;->)

i've been thinking about it and the top casing is probbly not "needed" but would help with the magnetic circuit gut feeling would be 15-30% torque loss without it.
i believe ours is a 9 pole, 30 phase (or so) motor

Post Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

wondering if you can still replace that ferrite magnet with a custom NiB one.. that would make one hell of a motor.

Post Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Here are some pictures of the fan motors I have, they sure sound like the Magna TR motor:

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=540

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=538

If that's what people want, I think they will be about $20 including postage. Like Glen, I am having very evil ideas about this motor - if the ferrite magnet could be replaced with NIB, then the power would shoot up something like 2.5 times, if a comparison between some similar motors with different types of magnet holds true for this one. The down side will be the expense - a nib magnet that size is well over $100.

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:00 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

you wouldnt need a nib that completeley replaced the disk
just put in rectangular magnets about the same thickness over where the poles are.

it'd probbly benifit from having the more uniform pole.
they only need to be a bit wider than the activation angle of the poles.

hmmmm must consider this for plan-B.

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:54 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I think the rectangular magnets would be easily available but attacting them evenly might be a pain. If it didn't cost much more, getting a ring magnet made would at least make assembly easier and there would be more NIB material under the rotor too. Did you say there were 30 magnetic poles in the magnet?

Just cause its easy & cheap to try, do you think that cutting up a second motor and using it's magnet on the other side of the rotor might have some positive effect? As long as the poles were aligned correctly, the field should be higher, perhaps doubled.

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:02 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

9 magnetic poles
30 or so "windings" or phases

getting a ring magnet made would be a pain as its not simple
he would have to make all 9 poles at the same time, its not just an odd shape he could put in his standard magnetiser.

i *think* the magnet is magnetised through the thickness but without a good hall effect sensor i cant be sure, i do have a chunk of magnet that broke off and as i recall it had poles coming out the back side.
the other way it may be magnetised is with the poles coming out running along inside the magnet so the back side is only exhibiting a residual flux.

anybody know what the markings on the magnets are?

hmm i wonder if there is enough room in plan-B to go with a double layer nib setup

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:07 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I would guess the poles go straight through from face to face with the steel motor can completing the circuit on the back. I was thinking of getting the magnet made of segments like that wheel magnet you have, not made in one piece.

Are you sure about the 9 poles? Wouldn't there need to be an even number around the ring so that north/south poles alternate?

Here is a link to a similar range of motors: http://www.pmlflightlink.com/motors/GN.html comparing the GN and GM series, the same sized motors with NIB magnets have WAY more torque. BTW: check out their juicy direct drive wheel motors!

Its worth experimenting with the magnets as the closest PML motor listed above costs over $600 in Australia Shocked

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:35 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Yep, my motors have 8 poles. There are also eight wedge shaped indents in the top cover, adding weight to Jake's comment about the case being part of the magnetic circuit.

The ferrite ring magnet is about 108mm across with a 48mm ID and 8mm thick. The biggest rectangular magnet that would fit is 19 x 30mm - I can't find any on the regular web sites that fit.

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:23 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I tested my little 73watt Siata fan on 24v yesterday and with the fan spin up time was barely a second and it was pushing itself against the cardboard box it was leaned again Smile I think this little motor would be good for an RC Hover craft!

Post Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:50 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I found some NIB magnets that might work on these motors - except they are 12.5mm thick. how about gluing them to the underside of the top cover and then spacing the cover up with a ring around the edge of the can? there would still be room to mount a pulley on the shaft if the tube around the shaft was cut off flush with the top of the front cover. having magnets on both sides of the rotor would be even better (if heavier).

Post Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:28 am