www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Xu1 Trigger Controllers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4189
I already PM's Jake... but would servo's like this with 180deg travel already make this drive method actualy quite easy and possible? Shocked Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:12 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Andrew already built 4 sets of working ones. The controllers use just normal servos. He recycles so much of the XU1, he even mounts the controller inside the XU1 battery case Laughing

I believe Andrew showed Jeff J how to build them back in 2004 at the Annihilator and also provided a set for Chris Goode's robot SharpShooter.

Andrew justs makes his with a XU1 Drill Trigger, a small bit of MDF (could use polycarb) 2 microswitches, a normal servo, a bit of polycarb for the servo arm (Special shape he design to actuate the trigger in both directions and switch the micros at the same time.... Genius hey Very Happy), a 15mm piece of welding rod, a few screws and the XU1 battery case.

The finished produce, a variable speed, fwd/rev 12-24v controller with current limited at around 15-16amps (XU1 Triggers) for the cost of the left over parts and a few hours building Cool

With Spektrum goodness, it would definately be a cheap solution for those who don't want to have to fork out for failsafes as well Smile Mmmm..... Bringing this topic back to the surface makes me want to build a set to put in a few of those half finished bots I have lying around Laughing

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:37 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I'm really interested in persuing them for the interest of my MDP project. It sure beats microswitching, giving proportional speed control!
I'm definatley interested in any info have on this topic, pics too! Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:54 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I don't know if it would be worth doing, but the drill trigger just pushes the slider of a very crude slider pot inside the controller case. I had a look inside and it would take very little work to wire up a replacement rotary pot, which would be easy to connect with a servo. Getting rid of all the mechanical linkages would increase reliability.

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:03 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

The XU1's are a bit more complicated then they look Nick Wink Andrew noticed that the slider also does something funny which is why it provides a rough house current limiter. I'm sure he can come on here and fill in the gaps that I've left Smile

These were pretty hardcore controllers to kill. I think the only way he killed them was reverse polarity. We were stalling a Mini EV on them and it still didn't go bang Shocked

When I was down in Melbourne, I also found that Ozito drill triggers have the fets built into the trigger, no external fet wiring.

I always wanted to try adding a few more fets to the XU1 triggers, but after we found the current limiting, it wasn't really going to gain us anything Confused

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:32 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I don't have one to look at right now, but as I recall, there was a resistive track and a parallel metal track that the wiper attached to the trigger moved along - can't get much simpler than that! there was some extra stuff involved with switching direction but that's all I saw. If all the cams, push-rods and alignment problems could be taken out of the controller, it's worth some experimenting!

Sounds like a good HSC project for Angus Wink

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:58 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Laughing It's more than that. I'm doing an ENTIRE database of tutorials... From building a simple wired robot (not wireless) to soldering, and up. Shocked

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:43 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Its Ages since i built one my final versions were a lot diferant to the ones i took to Sydney they had a cam like servo horn to push the trigger and the micro switches were stacked on top of each other for reversing .ive forgoten exactly how the trigers worked but they have a miniture micro controler or mabee a timmer circute that provides the pwm to the fet they also had a ceramic resistor thing that did some wierd sort of current limiting the good thing about them is that if a fett did blow they still worked as on off controlers at full on as the pwm only works from about 0 to 85 percent speed then they go direct to full on through the trigger bypasing the fett some how.

they could posibly be worked from a rotary pot direct on the servo but then you still need to switch the reverse some how

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:24 pm