www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Lightweights anyone
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Author    Thread
andrew

Lightweights anyone

Hey all,
The interest in lightweights is slowly getting bigger so i have seen out here and such.

Just wondering who's interested, Nick is, George seems to be, I certainly am.

I know there will be issues soming up with spinners and arena's. The robowars arena could hold them i think and if u cant have a arena for spinners well let all the clamp bots, axes and lifters etc in instead.

If your going to build a lightweight please say so and such so we can chat and try and get something happening.

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:48 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Well as of today i am deffinately building one. My own reasons but could be good if theres a few of them to maybe have an exhibition match or something. Not in a hurry to tackle a spinner. Have seen some matches where 2 12 kgs bots fight against 1 25. Same weight per team. Anyway whatever. going to build it anyway and glad dont have to drill heaps of holes and will have heaps of batteries. Still think 12 is the way to go a the moment, i just want lots of motors, weapons and wheels. Will also be allterrain so looking forward to starting construction in about a week, still planning.

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:33 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

IIRC the robowars arena is rated for featherweights only. in reality it could probably take lightweights but for legal and insurance reasons i guess thats fow it is. (is that right brett?)

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

One of the piles of parts I am trying to make into a functioning robot is Energize. I had the mad idea that I could get it going for the Annihilator weekend, fortunately I gave up on that idea relatively early as I was struggling to get the other 4 there as it was.
One of the reasons that I was experimenting with a lightweight was to show Barry and see if he liked the idea, after all I don’t think it’s fair to expect someone to build an arena for a class if there are only vague rumblings that someone might build one.
I was trying to go the thin edge of the wedge though, you know no big spinners just somewhere for the fat feathers to go no need to build a lot of purpose built lightweights just bring the feather limit back to 12.2 or so and we have a field of lightweights.
Year right and Nick goes and builds a hazard clone to slaughter them and scare the insurance people, not quite what I had in mind but inevitable Smile and bots like singularity will be there to hammer him into the wall.
At the end of the day I suggest those of you who are real builders have a bit of faith, either turn that compromised feather into a lightweight and build a new feather or build that dream design that you haven’t been able to fit into a feather ,
All of a sudden that crusher design doesn’t seem that difficult Very Happy

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:39 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I'm definitely working on the lightweight, here is where I am up to:

http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=133

Since that photo was taken, some thinner wheels turned up, allowing a slight size reduction. If I can just get my welding act together for a weekend, Artemis could be running quite soon...

You might notice that I fixed several weaknesses in the Hazard style design: in-board wheels, plenty of cross bracing, lots less parts. I still have to add some skirts or wedges - pending the weigh-in

Post Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:18 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I've got some interest in building a lightweight, and it won't be a spinner. I havea few parts here, but I mainly want to use the design as a test bed for a few other projects.

Don't expect anything by the end of the year, but I'm a possibility.

Post Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:57 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

mmm ive got a few idea's floating about if they dont fit into feather's we might end up with a couple light weights in our stable as well

Post Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:31 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

lol, in other words, Andrew has already got half of it built in the shed and he's just perfecting the design as we speak Very Happy

Post Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:43 pm 
andrew

Well i would love to see some lightweights but dont expect much from me in that area for a while. Have to get scrap fixed up, next featherweight designed and made and also throwing up a third idea which if i can pull it off will be pretty cool.

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:58 am 
robo robbo

well i've been thinking...

I'm going to build a feather but leave enough room to modify it to be a lightweight.

Still only in the planning stages but.

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:05 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Just wanted to say that I have come up with a name for my first lightweight. It reminds me of a werewolf and because I will be stiching up its wheels out of a piece of rubber from a bigger tyre with wire it seems obvious and well matched to call it Wolfenstein.
Its going to be F*****g Awesome

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:26 pm 
Eyce

quote:
Originally posted by MachineHead:
to call it Wolfenstein.

There's a game called that....

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:37 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Yes, he knows that.. Wink

There were glass see-through bits in the wall of your house before Microsoft as well, despite their pretense that they now own that word you ARE allowed to use an existing word to apply to something non-connected (like a robot).

Apple Records (the beatles) tried to sue Apple Computers for years, but was ultimately unsuccessful because the computer industry and the music industry are worlds apart, so dont feel afraid to name your robot after something you like. well, at least as long as you dont make millions out of it, if you do, I'm sure the lawyers will try something.. Rolling Eyes

On the lightweights note, I'm talking with Sidetracked at the moment about our next events, and it seems likely that we will be allowed to run non-spinner lightweights in the 6mm polycarb arena. Not confirmed yet, but looking promising.

This opens up a few possibilities I'd like to hear opinions on.

1. If we have a 25Kg class for the "Fat Feathers" (as Gary likes to call them) to go into, then I think thats a good reason to tighten up on the 12Kg limit, and bring it down to 12.5, or possibly even 12.2 (in line with the international standard). The guys who are struggling to make the weight can put their extra batteries back in, add some armour and move up into the 25Kg class.

2. Because its unlikely we will be able to run 25Kg spinners just yet, this could be a good "beginners" class for the guys who dont have the ability to weld aluminium, buy Nicad batteries and do all the other stuff necessary to get an effective robot in under 12Kg. You could go for your SLA's, Steel frames and heavy reliable drives without a problem, and know that there weren't any nasty low flying helicopters waiting to decapitate you..

3. Because there would initially only be a few lightweights, I thought about allowing two feathers to fight as a "multibot" in the 25Kg class, provided *both* of them are *legal* feathers. (ie, no having 18Kg in one bot, and 7 in the other). The only drawback of this that it would allow 12Kg spinners into the 25Kg class, which makes it a little less friendly for beginners, but I think they would be fighting at a significant handicap against a bigger bot.

So for all you guys who want to build something a little beefier, feel free to start designing, but dont go building any killer spinner just yet please.

(and if anyone thinks I'm being biased, remember I have a lightweight spinner (The Acid Test) that has been waiting for a fight here for nearly 2 years now..)

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

Well i love the idea. If theres no lightweight (and hopefully featherweight spinners) ill happily enter with someone against a lightweight. Sounds like fun.

Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:49 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I like the idea of lightweights with out spinnersfor the time being, will allow those who want the extra weight to have some fun and play with bigger parts with out needing inch thick lexan to save our souls from spinner strapnel. Just one question, can saw blades be used on lightweights as weapons, i know it is a spinner, but they are less likely to send panels from the opponent into the arena barrier are 200+km/h. Just a thought.

Do you have any possible idea on when a lightweight comp would be held at Side Tracked Brett? I might be able to tie the construction of my lightweight in with my Year 12 Engineering class Smile

Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:41 am