www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Lightweights anyone
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Author    Thread
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

well its been 8 mths since the last post and was wondering if anyone is building a lightweight robot .....im getting the itch to design a new robot and am gettinga little tied of the featherweights
at the end of this year it will be 2 seasons complete and in my opinionits time to move on a bit ....
we all got a demo of the new drive motors available at the last round thanks to jeff j and im sensing a mass exodus to those motors and drives real soon and im under the impression 25kg is easy for those motors and boxes to handle and at that price well within the range of any builder Very Happy
im not sure about the specs of them in regard to the IBC that everyone uses ??

Post Wed May 04, 2005 6:26 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

hmmm those 100watt drill motors draw less current than most drill motors, an IBC will handle then without any issues.

Post Wed May 04, 2005 6:56 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Maestro is waiting its turn on the work bench at the moment, we are planing on using an IBC to control the 250w scooter motors.
If we feel like pushing the envelope we will be running them at 36volt with fan cooled IBC.Smile

After talking to Daniel a few weeks ago I think there might have been a slight misunderstanding between Dan and Ben about the middleweights. Dan seemed keen on lightweights but was not even aware that any middelweights existed. Confused

Post Wed May 04, 2005 7:40 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

As long as spinning weapons is kept out of Lightweights until we get some proper arena built and some form of insurance, I'm all for the lightweights!

With out everyone being able to build uber spinners, people might spend time in getting creative like George did with King Pin, versus the Artemis approach of things Cool

Post Wed May 04, 2005 7:45 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

thats right girlies run away from the big spinners Razz jk

i think marayong arena is ready for lightweights as long as no one builds a 1000psi flipper and starts bouncing lightweights off the walls

Post Wed May 04, 2005 7:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

that's right girlies, run away from the big flippers Razz

With 25kg, I think crushers may become a half decent reality in combat Very Happy

Post Wed May 04, 2005 7:55 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hehe

Post Wed May 04, 2005 7:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Yes well so far Maestro is by far our most expensive bot by far so keeping away from really destructive KE weapons is a good thing as far as we are concerned even at the Junkyard which Dan told me was rated ok by his Insurance co for Lightweight spinners. I could be wrong there but I think that’s what he said.
The Junkyard is 10mm polycarb.

In vic we don’t even have any really destructive spinners in the feather class but Jason might be the One to change that. Smile

Post Wed May 04, 2005 8:02 pm 
the moth
Experienced Roboteer

Unfortunately , with 6mm lexan – Sidetracked's arena defiantly cannot hold lightweight spinners of any type – saws included . The junkyard with 10mm lexan still cannot as the walls themselves are not strong enough . The Junkyards insurance company hasn’t actually sited the arena or a robot combat event . I wonder what they would think if they saw one ?. The danger is not only debris , but the actual weapons striking the lexan . As most states are struggling to field full competitions with featherweights and it has taken years to get most arenas going , the sudden push for lightweights is questionable at best ? . Unless someone can cover the cost of upgrading the present public arenas or wants to risk their own liability with a lightweight spinner event in a garage – there will only be “pushy” lightweights as anything else is too much a risk for our fledgling competitions . Imagine an accident at this point ?. The bad pr would ensure no insurance company would ever cover a robot combat event . Our tombstone would read …. Full Robot combat in Australia – died at birth …

Post Wed May 04, 2005 11:08 pm 
andrew

well agreed lightweight spiners r a no no but i wouldnt just say the rest r "pushy bots" as i may have a go at it if possible as i have some lovely ideas and wouldnt mind playing with em a little if possible.

u can have any other weopons but spinners u know.

At end of yeah i may gut year 12 metalwork project when everythigs set and done and build a lightweight crusher with two 1/2 tonne actuators behind jaw and some 300 watt drives but nothing for a long time as school and stuff. So lightweights will still be exciting even without spinners.

Only thought against it is when for events as where already hard done by with featherweights getting them thrugh a days cmpetition, when will lightweight comp be etc.

Post Wed May 04, 2005 11:45 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Since we have NO lightweights in NSW yet and only a few guys with plans, then a three or four bots in a round-robin comp would not take very long.

BTW: I have enough parts for a lightweight four wheel drive rolling base. four scooter motor drives, Roboteq controller, heaps of Ali tubing & 5m plate, 24V Battlepacks etc. Trouble is, I don't have enough time. If anyone in NSW wants to get together for a joint project, I'm all ears...

Post Thu May 05, 2005 12:13 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

IMO lightweights would cost more to build but deliver no more fun than a feather.

Post Thu May 05, 2005 5:29 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Philip Taylor:
IMO lightweights would cost more to build but deliver no more fun than a feather.

That’s our experience so far, Energize our first attempt, a heavy duty version of Ballistic was abandoned when it became obvious it was already out classed by the scooter powered bots.Sad

I think that the limited lightweight comp is a good thing in that it allows builders the freedom to explore other designs as Andrew said like crushers.

Maestro is an overhead thwack, a design I had a pop of for a feather but I abandoned it because it was expensive and would have been smashed very quickly by a spinner.
The Netbot guys were a lot happier when I told them the Lightweight class did not allow ke spinners saws drums etc. Smile

Post Thu May 05, 2005 7:26 am 
andrew

Nick,

Im keen for lightweights if u want any help with anything.

May build one myself one day but prob not for a while

Post Thu May 05, 2005 7:44 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

so am i Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu May 05, 2005 8:43 am