www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Lightweights anyone
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Well, I like Saw Robots as well, but I cant think of any easy way to write a rule that says saw bots are allowed to compete, but other types of spinners arent..

what makes a saw ? how heavy can it be ? do you have to be able to prove it ? should there be a maximum RPM ? what about an inch-thick saw blade ?

Its getting back to that limiting the Kinetic Energy of spinners idea.. nice idea, but how do you enforce it ? If you cant make a clear ruling about it, then its probably better left as a simple "no spinners" rule.

although I'm even having trouble with that in some areas.. what about Full Body Spinners like Cobra and Arachnophobia ? OK, They're not likely to puncture the wall right now, but what about bots like Tesla's Tornado ? Rules are hard things to make clear and simple. Suggestions anyone ?

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:33 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Saws might be one area where a rule COULD be written, something like "Must be a commercial product less than X cm diameter or weighing less than Y grams." People might spin them up with high torque motors at different speeds, but the KE is mostly limited by the fixed upper diameter and limited weight of a commercial product. Still not perfect, but as long as its a rule for a specific sub-section of weapons it would be hard to argue against.

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:04 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

If you say no spinners then that'll mean no saws as well. You can't just limit it to comercial products and then limit the size. Whats stopping people from putting 10 on an axial and using them as a drum? Plus KE isn't just limited to diameter and mass, beacuse in the energy equation angular velocity is sqaured and it makes it have 4 times more effect then the mass. Then you'll need to limit speed and then with all that effort you might as well just let the other spinners in.
Just make it no active spinner weapons for now. That'll let the thwaker's in. I doubt anyone here can build a Tesla's Tornado at the moment anyway.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

well i see it this way ,sorrys saw blade is missing 6 teeth and they catapulted somewhere .....but if you think they would go through 6mm polycarb your kidding yourself ......dont over rate sawbots ,anddont even think about putting them in the typhoon ,hypnodisk, hazard catagory .saw bots cut they dont demolish ......if anyone wants a demo ill be happy to video the difference

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:31 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Rotwang team is planing to turn Fragmentor into a light weight robot, with the extra weigh we will be able to have a much more powerful hammer that will make it possible to self-right, also some heavier armour and more batteries, we will put small claws on the front to keep the other robots from getting away from Fragmentors pick Wink

So that will leave Team Rotwang with 2 light weight robots other one being Energize the heavier version of Ballistic.

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:54 pm 
colin

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
Well, I like Saw Robots as well, but I cant think of any easy way to write a rule that says saw bots are allowed to compete, but other types of spinners arent..

what makes a saw ? how heavy can it be ? do you have to be able to prove it ? should there be a maximum RPM ? what about an inch-thick saw blade ?

Just make it the organisers discretion as to what's in or out. right now the competition is small, there is no need for ridged rules and i don't know why anybody whould be an a-hole about it.

The reason I say stuff the rules is: how do you differentiate a wheel (for driving the bot) from a spinner weapon. Somebody could mount a big 'wheel' to the top of there bot that could be used for 'driving' when its upside down, and the 'spikes' on the wheel are just for extra grip. eh?

I think with something like this, which is only temporary, its best left to simpler 'organisers discretion ' type things, just say they need to have there weapon approved. less of this hard nosed we-must-have-rules thing

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:17 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I really have got to stop posting my thoughts on these forums, it creates an endless debate each time Sad

Post Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:39 pm 
colin

quote:
Originally posted by teamvertex:
I really have got to stop posting my thoughts on these forums, it creates an endless debate each time Sad

i wouldn't say that's a bad thing

Post Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:46 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Started production of my lightweight yesterday, After enuff simulation in Flash it was time to stimulate. Special thanks to Gary for his welding, did the complete double Jaw weapon system yesterday and it is really coming togeather nicely. Had to stop and rethink my drive components as Gary helped point out that the rear axles could be tuffer so back to the think tank to see what parts can be used as a drive axle, chain, bearing, sprocket assembly. weapon is looking cool but and seems very tuff. JUst have to come up wit a stronger drive system, considering 300 watt scooter motors on chain going to 2 wheels. Cant get comfortable with establishing a gear reduction for this yet.
Also making up some tuff little mofo wheels . looks promising.

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:12 pm 
andrew

Well maybe 2 or even 4 100 watt scooer systems. they can haul 60 kg persons up to 12 km/h. ALso with a better wheel bolted to the original wheel with some bearing support (say using one of the wheels with bearings in them already) It would increase speed, traction and shouldn't put too much stress on teh motor/wheel if done properly.

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:29 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

At the moment the 100 watt motors are an option, 300 watts are too big for me. Design doesnt really suit the belts so want to use a chain between the front and rear wheels. Will be using angle grinders as the rear powering the back with a chain going to the front axles so will always have power to the rear even if I lose a chain. Toying around with some drill gearboxes. Have taken some 3 stage planetary gearboxes and removed the first plastic stage of it, Have ended up with a two stage of 3:1 each giving it a total of 9:1.
The two options I have are Using the scooter motors with a 3:1 planetary stage and 2:7 on the angle grinder for an 8.1:1 reduction, suitable for the scooter motor I believe. Option 2 is use the 2 stages of the planetary 9:1 with the angle grinder givng a ratio of 24.3:1 which could work well with a mini ev size or the big jaycar motors with a 5m shaft. The efficiency of the scooter motor is appealling but so is the power of the others. One motor chained to 2 wheels Mini ev or scooter motor, what are your thoughts anyone, Has anyone counted the teeth on the scooter belts, guessing they are between 6 and 8 to 1.

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:13 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

16 to 88 therfore 5.5 to 1 for 100 watt scooter drive

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:16 pm 
Windhammer

Oh man what happened to feathers? what About drill drives Confused now what the hell are you going to get for $18 a motor? and wont you have to change to arena for larger robots!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Windhammer on Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:34 pm 
andrew

oh boy. rant rant rant if u please. Come on.
Its 2 seperate weight classes where talking about here boy. U can build featherweights (12 kg robots ) or lightweights (of whatever the hell u want but dont expect much competition).

Lightweights r for ideas that cant be done in the featherweight weight limit and if a featherweight ends up at about 16 ish kg then they can either chosse to lose 3 kg or gain extra in armour and extra weopon, more bateries etc.

ALso arenas now are mostly normal featherweight arena's but unless a whole new arena is build or the thickness of polycarb tripled or something then spinner lightweights are a no no from what i have heard.

Also next time u need questions answered, curb your tone mister and simply ask hem as i and probably some others weren's impressed with that little ranting session there.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:56 pm 
Windhammer

WHOW KEEP BACK ROVER i was just confused didnt you see the little yellow face?

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:24 pm