www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Slash - Team Overkill - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

@ Angus: I'm making progress with the CAD package and I will try to work out the cost of those two pieces; the small piece should be really cheap at least.

I found the Southern Composites from your link collection ages ago - THANKS! They were a bit slow to respond but the CF is just as good as the US stuff.

Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:25 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Ok cool. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:15 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Slash is getting Sooo close to ready! I recieved the weapon shaft from Emachine shop and it was worth every cent - the work is really excellent and while it took a month, I can definitely recommend them. I machined down the larger timing pulley and fitted all the bearings on the new shaft:

The two bronze bearings will be seated in a big block of UMHW at the fon t of the bot, while the thrush bearing sits between the bottom of the chassis and the top of the pulley and takes the weight of the bot. This arrangement reduces friction losses and will allow a higher weapon speed and hopefully also lower current consumption. The titanium weapon disk bolts tothe far side of the disk on the shaft and is held on with 6 large screws.

I have all the electronics now:

The micro reciever arrived from Inertia Labs almost before I had finished typing the order; I don't think anything has ever arrived from the US faster Smile. Now I have all the electronics its time to wire everything up for a test.

The only things missing are the B16 Motors and wheels from the RMP Evil or Very Mad. While I wait ever so patiently (NOT!), I bought some stand-ins from Lynxmotion:

The motors look pretty good; slightly larger than a B16 and around the same weight. I tested them at 14.4v and measured 340 RMP, which is about right for a mid-speed beetle. The wheels have a very grippy foam tread but the plastic hubs mean that they will not take any big hits and the diameter is way too much for my design. I will use these untill the original parts turn up and then put them into another beetle.

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:42 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I have been too busy working on the larger bots and upgrading the mill to do much to Slash recently. The blade should be back from the Waterjet cutting place next week and that means the bot will be almost complete.

I am still waiting on the RMP motors and wheels, but I have made some good mounts for the stand-in motors and I will be able to test drive Slash in a week or two.

Post Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:12 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I got all the electronics powered up tonight - it was just a 10 minute job and worked first time, thanks to my special new technique (called reading the manuals first Smile ).

It will be harder fitting all the tiny modules into the chassis than to get them running. I plan to shorten all the wiring and pack everything in foam where possible since that has worked very well for Jolt.

I have now completely bypassed the ultra-late parts from the RMP and the wheels are coming from Tower Hobby (at $2.75 each). It looks like the bot might really be running in two weeks!

Post Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:49 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

After a slack weekend, its back into bot building! I finished the weapon bearing block today and learned a bit about boring heads along the way. The bronze bearings pictured 3 posts ago didn't work so well as I couldn't align them properly and the steel axle jammedin them. I replaced the two smaller bearings with a single full length bearing and now the axle spins smoothly. This is a shot of the partly assembled axle & bearing from underneath:

The top of the bearing is recessed into the block so a thrust bearing and a large retaining washer can fit internally:

I drilled the hole for the bearing with a cheapo spade drill bit that I ground to a slightly smaller diameter than the bearing. The pocket was bored out with the new boring head and a bit I re-ground to give a flat face to the bottom of the hole.

Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:51 pm 
andrew

oh man why couldnt u just stay with featherweights damn u Razz.

That things freaking awesome man, that thing would put most american beetles to shame.

Note to self. build a cordless screwdriver driven cobra clone of tread ripoff Smile

Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:05 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Along with the work on Slash, I found some great Beetleweight parts just begging to be used:

Inspired by Glen's crusher experiment, I dragged out the junk box and found this ancient screw drive from a mechanical accounting machine. Hmm, its engraved with "Property of C Babbage" Laughing

The small gear motor would have less power than Glen's drill motor crusher, but the combination is quite light and could probably still bend a small bot.

I also found this wierd aluminium tubing. Its 12mm diameter and has three internal ribs that make it much stiffer than you would expect.

Each piece is 300mm long and would be great for a stretched-out, invertable version of Slash. Since I have quite a few spare parts for Slash already, this will be the next project.

Last edited by Nick on Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:09 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

@ Andrew: Thanks for the compliment! Wait until Thursday when the Ti disk should turn up, I'm expecting it to look absolutely wicked, plus the spare material should give me a blade for the invertable version. Smile

Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:12 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

you dirty bas.... Mad hehe, that thing looks insane, thank god my beetleweights will be disposable Very Happy

how are those lynxmotions going for you? decent?

Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Looks Like I'll just have to build a Speedbump clone using 4 servo motors and half a piece of 3mm walled steel pipe Razz Looking nice there Nick!

Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:18 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Damn that thing's cool! I've gotta get my bot underway soon... Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:56 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
how are those lynxmotions going for you? decent?

They are OK but the diameter is 24mm VS 22mm for the B16 motors. It doesn't sound like much but the extra diameter really jacks up the overall hight of the bot. If the B16 motors ever turn up I will use the Lynxmotion motors in an invertable bot with bigger wheels.

Since they are larger and slower, They *should* have a bit more pushing power. I ordered some aircraft wheels that may arrive next week and they will be the last parts I need.

Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:13 pm 
andrew

sounds noice there nick.

Would anybody know the weight of cordless screwdrivers motores etc etc when pulled outa case and stuff

Got one design ill prob do which is a horizontal bar as i coulddo a FBS but losing enthusiams for it very quickly and i think horizontal bars r cooler.

Also wanna build a dodgy egge beater style bot with beater being made of strips of steel and threaded rod with spacers (one 1kg bots done it nicely) but thats where the cordless motors come in unless somebody can point me to another motor etup thats fast but controllabe with switch setup and cheapish and local.

ut one design i have just for u my spinner lovin friend is a cordless screedriver driven brick house with a nice 2mm steinless steel wedge on front (WOO)'

When can we plan first beetle event?

Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:06 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Go for the eggbeater design - 3PD is my all-time fave beetleweight! If that's not possible, I think a simple wedge will do pretty well against Slash, particularly now that the body is higher off the ground.

Slash is getting into the final stages and might even be ready for the build day (slim chance only) and will be well tested for the Annhilator event - perhaps we could have a few test matches then?

Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:40 pm