www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

oatley motor specs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
muzzoid

well i does sound easier to do the 100w and it will take a bit more to do the 300w setup, i will know when i get to go to the district bearing suppliers and see what they have got but its a bit hard seeing that they only open in school hours. apparantly they have sprockets chains and all that sort of stuff as well. i have access to a lathe and i know how to use it, i was going to make the hubs any way, thats neccesary for my design.

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:08 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

For 4 bearings and housings your looking at about $80 for the cheapest ones with grub screws and pressed tin housings.

Sprockets from what iv brought in the past if you get ones from a propper dealer for a 4.1-1 reduction about $90 for two small sprockets and two big ones then chain only comes in 10 foot lengs and thats about $50.

Try telling them its for a school project and its a robot and tell them about it if there interested.

I told the guys down the street from me at the sprocket and bearing dealers i build robots and told them about robowars and all that and they give me about 50% off as they love hearing about it.

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:26 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

indeed, your best bet would be to go to the flea markets. i get my V section pulleys for $15 for two with about a 2.5:1 reduction on them. problem is they have pretty big bores, like 15mm. but im sure you could lathe up a hub at school.

the lame way would be to use those wheels from hand trolleys. they have bearings built in. andrew did it that way in his school project, but from what i saw the wheels where badly out of balance, and i heard that the ones used on vertex where pretty out of whack (is that true andrew?). thats chinese manufacturing for you.

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bigjimmy

Hey people

Just a quick question, what are the 300W oatley motors like running at 12V i imagine itd be te same as running a 150W motor but would it be able to spin say a 1.5 kg metal bar? lol i dont have enough space for 24V of atteries

Post Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Half the voltage, 1/4th the power which is 75W and (half the torque and half the RPM). In short, an RS550 could output more for about 1/5th the weight, so use a lighter bar, or find lighter batteries to get that voltage up to somewhere it outputs a reasonable amount of power

ffej.net

Post Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

A Nipon Denso fan motor on 12v is going to be your best choice for your weight and voltage situation.

Post Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:44 pm 
bigjimmy

Where can i get one of those motors? Ill go have a look at a car wrekers this afternoon. Has anyone got a resonably powerful 12v motor up for sale?

Post Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

check out the TR magnas for the denso fan motors.

a valiants heater motor is series wound and that might be alright for you, or use two of them at 12v... there very light

Post Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Iff you want to use series wound motors i can post up an internal mod that makes them ini directional

Post Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:36 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Has anyone locked up the cog on the Oatley wheels? They free wheel in one direction.

Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:47 pm 
andrew

i have not done it yet but plan to for narkart project.

also for lightweight design ill need to, what i was going to do was drilll three holes each one above the middle of the pattern part in the wheel so bolt goes through the patter part through sprocket and with right spacer in there when dont up tight eveyrthing will be solid and rotate both direcions, will be trying it in a week or two when eveyrthing else is finished on electric bike

Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:00 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

That is a good idea. I am powering the wheels of a trolley at work. The 280 W motors turn on with a kick.

Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:08 pm 
andrew

whats your plans and stuff, sounds funky, if its them electric trolley jacks or whatever then thatd be impressive as them motors r descent power and stuff. Not sure if the dea i stated will be a def work as it is untested but in theory it should work

Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:39 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I intend to fix the two Oatley wheels and two Oatley motors to the standard trolley. I will test the idea with a battery from one of the tractors. I will use 12 v drill triggers for variable speed. Thanks to Andrew A for this idea.

I think that your idea will work. Placing three bolts through the spokes should make everything go around together. The trolley is to carry palms that are 50 - 100 kg accross uneven ground. I hope the 1/2" axles will be able to take the weight.

I have further ideas if the initiall plans work. I will get some stuff on Wednesday and see how it goes.

Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:05 pm 
andrew

wow thatd be pretty cool, get pictures please as thatd be funky.

From getting drivetrain in electric bike done using oatley wheels etc is very good compared to trying to do sprocket mounting yourself, with drill trigger if you only need to go forwards then cool but id go one per motor if your doing two motor just so u go easier on the tigger, also with shaft setup if u support it from both sides and have shaft as short as possible then itll improve strength great deal

Hope all goes well with it man, even better is youll be able to ride the thing if your boed or just need a thrill Very Happy, a workmans minikart Razz

Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:17 pm