www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

ICE's at events (again)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

ICE's at events (again)

I picked up a great ICE today for cheap and was just wondering. . . I know its been said before, but I thought Id bring it up again.

Has anything changed in regard to the use of ICE's in Australian comps? Previously it was a no at both sidetracked and at Andrews place in QLD, dont remember anything about Jeff's at Marayong. Is there anywhere we can use ICE bots? Theres just nothing quite like the smell, the noise and the fear generated by an engine when it starts to over rev with weapon attached. . .

ffej.net

Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

as long as we open up the door and dont let anyone in for a while to let the fumes get out.... i dont know how it could get anyworse then that SLA slashing event.

failing that i might just have to confiscate that engine of yours Cool Very Happy

Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

lol
At jeffs, all you'd need to do is add some sort of opening at the top, then it'll be set! (and better for those smoky or sla melting moments!) Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

They are ok here at HoC.
I'd prefer methanol ICE over petrol ICE for fuel handling safety issues.

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:36 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

You scary man.

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:41 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

now is he being cynical ? or is he not aware that methanol burns with a near-ivisible flame IIRC ?
Shocked

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

mmm i/c motors my specialty ...methanol even better Very Happy one 500 cc ultralight feather weight spinner comeing up

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:39 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Nic has experiece with fuels from RC drag racing.

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:58 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

when I talked to Jeff about it a while ago he was happy enough for ICE powered bots if we modify the arena.

we need some sort of large extractor fans to constantly suck the fumes etc out of the arena (also good for keeping it vaguely cooler in summer)

I was thinking we could just use some car radiator fans, they are easy to power, cheap to get and have plenty of air flow.

also I think an ICE spinner could be a worry, maybe we should get that next layer of polycarb in first Razz

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:10 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

True, we dont want to repeat the Icewave acident do we! Very Happy
Extractor fan would be dead easy, just modify a standard fan and stick it in a closable hole in the roof. Done! Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:41 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

wouldnt those tin side-walls at the marayong arena need to be beefed up a bit ?

Personally I dont think ICE bots are that great an idea..

Sure, they're loud and scary, which is good Wink

but if you take into account..

The weight and cost of a clutch system required to keep it from stalling,

The likelyhood of the carburettor, fuel tank and oil (if not a two stroke) to all end up on the floor (and the engine stop), the moment you get inverted,

The safety issues of refueling in the pits and damage-fires in the arena

The remote-shutdown system/failsafe and throttle control requirements

and the likelyhood that people will just use them to build more powerful dodgily made bar-spinners (what else do you use an ICE for ?) that will do huge amounts of damage for a fight or two then destroy themselves without finishing the comp.

then they dont look like such good fun anymore, I know the idea of having that much power on tap is probably initially exciting, but do you really want to turn the game into lawn-mower wars ?

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:46 pm 
andrew

man your a killjoy Brett.

Isay build it and see what happens,

Use common sense round all spinners, and worst case we have fire extinguishers and safety shall be ensured inthe pit with al dat jazz.

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:23 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

yes i was being partialy cynical ? sarcastic with my reply as well ...i wont allow them to run here either as i dont think my arena is safe enough even with the sleepers around the edges ..I could easily convert a self drive mower my self but i dont want the sport going down that track either ...i think people should be given the chance to build inovative ideas and concepts and get to try them out against other equalaly inavative bots useing strategy ect ..after a while i think high powered spinners smashing into armoured boxes will start to get boreing as there wont be room for other new ideas as the ones who build them will probaly leave the sport if they just get them smashed to bits every time they enter ..we have built a few spinners our selves watching them smash things on a tv show is fun ..but when you go up against someone and smash them to bits it doesnt seem as much fun espesial when you know how much work went itnto them building it .. its easy to mount a big fat bar on a high powered motor and smash every thing in your path i much prefer to watch a fast flipper manovering aronud trying to get under a faster moveing push bot or lifter ect

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:41 pm 
andrew

yes i agree with u there andrew. i Love matches where goos tarategy and good riving etc is used, (watch sewer snake vids and u will know as he is amazing)

Even in Orbit itsgotten to the stage now where i use the weopon if i feel i have to and mainly try and go for wedge as Orit is a good wedge/ram bot.

Spinners r sill cool though but what people gotta do is have their bots either built to take them on or be able to modify them for them eg, steel bash bar or wedge or something.

as u could get all biter if uget whooped by a spinner sure but if u r able to modify your bot to take them out then its strategy and if executed makes for a awesome match.

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:15 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Yes sproing is geting built for that purpose its geting made so that there isnt any thing solid for a spinner to grab on to but pleanty of resistive parts to slow them down and waste their battery power and also to push them about with ..

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:29 pm