www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Suggestions for Go Kart Motor ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Suggestions for Go Kart Motor ?

Thought id open up a new thread here insted of clogging up the just wondering thread in the robot section lol.

Dose anyone know were to find a good go kart motor?

Im not looking to spend too much here prob around $200 maby $250

Was thinking of using two car batterys and a old wheel chair motor but did some calculations on a sim program and decided all the effort for 30mins of runtime and 2days of charging and getn a larg power bill wasent woth it lol.

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:04 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

do you want electric or petrol?

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Remember the primary rule of manufacturing..

Good, Cheap, Fast.
Pick any *TWO*.

I'm assuming that by "Good" you mean powerful (fast), lightweight (required for fast) and reliable (good) ? AFAIK, No-can-do in the same sentence as "cheap".

If you have lots of time on your hands, you could cast and wind your own motor, but since time=money, that breaks the "cheap" rule too.

If you want high power and dont need it to run for a long time, about the highest power-to-weight motor is probably an air-motor from a power tool (Google for "power tool drag races" for more info), but you need to play with high pressure pneumatics (danger) and will only run for a few seconds between air charges.

If cheap and easy-to-build are more important than weight and speed, and you dont mind using petrol, then finding a second hand ride-on-lawnmower is probably your best, it already comes with all the bits you need for a drive system. not very fast, and noisy though.

If electric-power is essential, but speed isnt, then finding some cheap chinese battery powered kiddy-cars and building it with 8 wheels might be fun. Those things arent designed to carry adult sized people, but share the load across multiple wheels and they might take it.

Of course, then you will need some pretty grunty batteries to power it too.. or it will be a "slow-kart" Wink

BTW, If you are going to start new threads, please give them meaningful titles.

"just wondering, an odd question" and non-helpful titles like that just make it hard for people browsing the forum and reading bits here and there they are interested in.

I've edited the title of this thread, please put a little thought into them in future.

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Your other problem with "cheap" will be controlling the motor(s). Unless you put up with a simple switch (making it pretty undrivable IMHO), you will need an expensive high power ESC like a Roboteq or MC1.

If you want electric, I would suggest small car starter motors as a cheap otpion, although they will need mods and will suck a car battery dry very quickly.

The best bet would be a motorbike engine from a wrecker - I have no idea about the cost, but a working motor & gearbox has everything you need

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:59 am 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

@ Brett.

I thought the jw thread under techical chat was an ok insted of making heaps of threads for single questions same as in the off topic section.

Should i change the just wondering thread to general robot questions?

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:31 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

car batteries arent meant for deep dischrage, youd probably kill it straight off on the first run.

those chainsaw powered things at sidetracked where pretty decent... they where chainsaws wherent they? if you want hardcore my friends rotax go kart is a complete rocket, looks those up.

starter motors would get pretty grizzly. id reckon you would burn one of those up no mercy at all. wayde and i had an idea a while back to buy one of those petrol generators from bunnings and use 4x 750w impact drills as a go kart type thing. damnit those drills have too much power for such a small package!

there is always the path of pulsejets v-1 style, two pieces of stainless steel, a compustion chamber and a bottle of propane and your off! oh yeah just read up on it and dont kill yourself lol. i was talking with jake and apparently the thickness of stainless is really essential to its performance... interesting.

on a similar topic im building up a design for a little water robot. ive seen one around nepean before and they are really kewl. basically a snow mobile engine built into a tiny boat thats probably no bigger than a chainsaw powered rc boat , and they just pull you along at ripping speed. like 35mph. it should prove alot more forgiving than trying to ski behind the 700hp frostbite boat, man that thing is a beast.

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

I was thinkig of using two of those 12 massive slas from forlifts about 150amps and a wheel chair motor at 24v but not sure how long a runtime id get going 30ks with 12inch wheels. i think going bye the mid sized npc motor id get like 30mins with 100kg of weight.

those petrol generators do they have a clutch? maby the motor itself would do or two of them?

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:59 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

wouldnt think theyd have a clutch, you just start them and they start generating.

some of those electric wheelchair narkarts seem to be pretty fast, and the etek sled is really fast. maybe just hover around the flea markets and find an old golf kart motor.

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:02 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

anyone know what batterys and voltage golf buggys use?

i allready have a wheel chair motor a big one but going bye edt sim i wouldent get very longer runtime but wheel chairs go all day?

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:06 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well i reckon 18ah worth of batteries would be good for 10 minutes max in a twin wheelchair powered kart if the heavyweights are anything to go by.

ive seen different options in golf karts... little ones like in razer that are 24v and conversly absolutely massive ones that go at 36v-48v. remember in mythbusters when they rigged one up to the washing machine? also seen one in junkyard wars where they make a train powered by one and it pulls about a ton at 15mph or so.

on a side note about karts, i was really tempted to buy a cool differential setup for wheelchairs or something at the flea markets, it fit into both your hands and weighed about 2kg, would have been damn perfect!

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:13 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

im thinking maby two 450watt scooter motors at 24v of two 12v 150amp forlift slas if i can get em cheap enoughf second hand.

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:22 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

at 36v......

there sold out arent they?

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:24 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

And all the US guys were saying that EV Warriors just didn't cut it in their Nar Karts.

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:43 pm 
andrew

Glen- was it that differential that u showed me one time)

Also makes me wish i got that electrioc wheelchair, Came with batts, controlllls and everything and was even torn apart which made it looked cool and the guy said it ran to 20km/h or so and prob was gonna get 36 volts into it

One ideaihad for a simple narkart is simple using two 300 watt or 450 watt motors and chain and sprocket setups from oatley and having one motor per back wheel, less fiddly bits as all axels etc r fixed and such (hell ive done 4 of them in year 12 project) and simply runningthe system at 24 volts (with proportional speed and large wheels for that extra speed eg. 30 plus probs with 40cm wheelbarrow wheel) or having smaller wheels (inflatable wheels off hand trolleys which r easy as hell to mount the sprockets too)and have a switch setup and have 36 volts but no proportional speed

I plan a electric bike using one of them or maybe getting one more and trying narkartage but prob electric bike.

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:06 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Do those $100 bunnings genorators have 12v mode? or 24v mode?

Glen sed they give out about 100amps so another idea is one or two genorators running 4 300watt scooter motors.

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:25 pm