www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Why is NSW so successful
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Why is NSW so successful

Most of us want to see robot combat grow. NSW seems to have done better than QLD and VIC. Why?

Do they do so well because they have so many events and get so much practice? This is my theory. Do people agree with that or disagree?

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:18 am 
andrew

Probably because we have a structure much like any other sport season like the soccer season or something as in theres a event once every 8 weeks or something.

Victorias now doing a similar thing in having structure with when the events r on and hwo its run instead of just the ransom event every now and then.

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:24 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The arena out a Jeff's place helped enormously - having that in place several years ago made everything else possible. It also helps that our most active members all live fairly close to each other.

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:27 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

dont forget the people who are decent at building helping the useless such as myself Smile

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

That depends on your definition of "success" I suppose..

Having a permanently set-up arena with a host kind enough to give-away a large portion of his personally-paid-for real-estate free of charge and have his house taken over for event-day helps a lot.

However, what seems to really motivate builders is the opportunity to build something cool and show it perform to a sizeable crowd of people.

For that you need a public audience, and suddenly events get about 50x harder to pull-off than a "back yard battle" is.

If I was to borrow an arena wall or two from sidetracked and wall off my carport, we could easily hold an event at my house every two or three weeks. (which would be good for the rankings tables no doubt.).

But catering for any sizeable crowd would be impossible, illegal and leaves the house owner very exposed to legal liability for any mishaps. A small party at home for friends is one thing, running an entertainment venue for every casual joe who wanders past is a whole nother ball game..

Can any non-SideTracked based event in Australia handle an audience of 300 people safely ?

Personally I think 1 big event per year per state, with a semi-casual state-series to keep interest up in between and give people somewhere to develop new bots in preparation for the highly publicised yearly showdown type events is a pretty good plan. Kind of like the touring car championship and bathurst.

"Success" to me is competitive fun for the builders, good entertainment for a crowd of spectators and hopefully not going too broke running the "party" in the process. Wink

Helping the sport grow beyond its present stage requires increased motivation for builders to go to a lot of effort (time and $) to build something that is going to get smashed.

The best way I can think of to do that is to try and get more people watching when that happens..

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I was looking at the reliability of the NSW bots. The robots seem to be largely ready to go at the start of the event and large numbers appear to survive long enough to enter the final melee.

I do not think that this is the only or best definition of success. This is just why I class the NSW comp as successful.

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:01 pm 
andrew

Well since theres so many nasty bots up here u cannot afford u break down because of something silly like a connection etc or else it may cost u more than just a match, maybe a twisted frame, broken weopon, broken motor etc

One example is last event Orbit would turn rightwhen i went left and reverse because of a change i did to have forward as reverse and not enough testing, this costed me to have the back end rearranged by a barely spun up plan b and if he didnt break down Orit would have suffered alot more damage.

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:37 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

no to mention the savage verbal abuse suffered if your robot does break down Laughing (jokin)

its all a matter of experience.

powerpoles slide apart, so solder wires....
SLAs die so use nicads....
bots are powerful so make impervious armour or replacable armour...

most videos ive seen recently the robots seem pretty reliable anyway, is there more than meets the eye up at those queensland events Smile

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:00 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
most videos ive seen recently the robots seem pretty reliable anyway, is there more than meets the eye up at those queensland events Smile

The Keros almost always makes the final melee. Team Vertex usually puts in, at the very least, one bot into the final (Andrew A is always working on one or more bots and finds time to help others and give advice.). Steve Martin can fix almost anything. Maybe it is just that crappy flipper that lets QLD down.

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:14 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Very Happy its all about match fitness and we have it down here ...we started battling well over 2 years ago ,and i believe we were the first group to get together well over 3 years ago and that happened in my factory at emu plains .
we have a group bank account so i guess you could say we are financial ,which pays for food, drinks, arena upgrades and any out of pocket expenses jeff may experience.
all the blokes have very regular build meets ,not just at jeffs they do it amongst themselves as well ,and i think the big factor is we all help where we can and have no ego dramas .
the arena has been a group effort from the beginning ,be it suppling materials for no cost or labour at no cost .and when it comes to paying for stuff we now all do it .
put it this way ,if for some reason we lost the arena at jeffs ,we would pitch in and have one up and running somewhere before the next event .its called POOLING RESOURCES ...no one individual is expected to organise anything on their own .
i think i could speak for all NSW builders and that is we like it how it is.
if in 2 years we have the same bunch of builders and no more ,then so what .robot wars has already had the big crowd bullshit in the UK and USA.and look what it did to the uk buildiers ...run it like a local RC CAR CLUB then its survival is assured ,
you start doing big public events ,it costs time, money and at the end of the day does it really get more builders at the next one probably not .

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:53 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
its all about match fitness and we have it down here ...we started battling well over 2 years ago ,and i believe we were the first group to get together well over 3 years ago and that happened in my factory at emu plains .

I believe you will find the first gathering, was held by the Kerisons at Toombul Wink Annihilation being the only drivable robot at the time.

I have to say, QLD is behind because we all live so far apart. NSW and VIC have 90% of there teams within a few suburbs of each other, and could probably throw rocks at each other if they tried. Up here, we have to drive a few hours to throw rocks.

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:48 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Thats fairly true, spare me! Very Happy But if we're going to get more people involved in this sport, you actualy have to approch them i think... something that would be very difficult to do. I don't even remember how i got involved... searching robot combat in aus google i think...
Confused
Don't forget that also (in my opinion) blacktown is a superb location for a robot arena, as its very likely people living there would actualy be the kind of people who like building fighting robots... Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:54 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I wasnt going to say any thing but will have to Agree with Aaron and we also had the first Australian robot combat event in Aus at my Place the first official Public battle was held at Side tracked by Bret and Mell.

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:11 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Very Happy aaron you could be right , i had a 12kg robot 'white tip' driving with a cable at the time there was video once i think ,but the point i was talking about is the faCT that most of the folks who turned up that day still fight today ,and at everybattle as well .......
i know that qld have a long way to drive , thats always been the case ,but will it always be the case ? probably it will , so what you have to do is think of ways to fix it ,if not it will be the same in 5 years time ..i dont have the all the answers but if you POOL RESOURCES you may change things .....but in saying that you folks battle as regular us anyway dont you ????...

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:14 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

mmm Big bus with built in fold out arena Very Happy

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:24 pm