www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Winners pogs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Well, at the risk of getting boo'ed by those who insist in thinking of RoboWars as "them victorians" rather than a country-wide group of friends/competitors, I personally like the logo I made

It looks like a saw blade with a tri-planetary gear-set inside it. its on the start of the 2003 highlights video.. I think that would like quite funky laser-cut out, but it might not be generic enough to keep everyone happy..

Saws are good, they have nice detail and are fairly representative icon of our sport.

Perhaps a stylised lightning bolt ?

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I didn't see tha logo on that highlights tape but it sounds like its a strong contender. Given that the pog shape is mostly circular and there has to be at least one mounting hole, we need a graphic design that either fits around the edge and leaves some room in the middle for wr iting or fills up the middle and the writing goes around the edge of the disc.

Hmm, that's not terribly clear, so I will knock out some examples of what I mean. The saw blade graphic would fit either design.

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:14 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
Well, at the risk of getting boo'ed by those who insist in thinking of RoboWars as "them victorians" rather than a country-wide group of friends/competitors

Who said that?

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:27 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah the logo with the 3 cogs, thats good. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:41 am 
Ali

I like the logo Very Happy

Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:41 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

you could just buy mini saw blades bulk and have em laser etched

Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Hmm, thats not a bad idea, but how small do saw blades get?
However that would make the actual etching more difficult, with one by one etching needed insead of a bulk all at once you'd have with lasercutting a sheet of metal.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:08 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Thats it.

I liked the way the RWA (RoboWars Australia) can also be read as ARW (Australian RoboWarriors), or WAR, or RAW (not that that makes any sense, but it sounds good)

When it comes time to making the next video/tv production, I might spend some time trying to finish the 3D/animated version I was working on.. The 3D program I was working with had no idea what gear-mesh was though, which was making the animation part hard.. perhaps SolidWorks could do it..

For actual laser cutting, it would need mods, since as pointed out, you cant have unsupported bits inside cut-outs.. maybe etching rather than complete cutting would be better.

Last edited by Spockie-Tech on Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:15 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

An etching would be better, look better and would be stronger... How do they give the etch that anodised look? Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:28 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

by anodising it lol

no purpose served but hey heres a 3d version http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=950

Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:35 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

lol, you all marvel at my cryptic intelligence! Surprised

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:39 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
When it comes time to making the next video/tv production, I might spend some time trying to finish the 3D/animated version I was working on.. The 3D program I was working with had no idea what gear-mesh was though, which was making the animation part hard.. perhaps SolidWorks could do it..

You dont need software that recognises gear mesh to animate a planetary gear box. Most important thing would be getting the model accurate. If you make a desicion like give it a ratio of 6:1 then you just make one set of gears rotate 6 times more than the other and they will mesh spot on. It just requires some upfront planning. atm the 3 gears dont work as a planetary at all so the graphic would need to be redone to make it believable. A good model makes animation so much easier.

Have always liked the idea of the pogs, I see them as how fighter pilots in WW11 kept records of their kills.
They generally used flags or colours or graphic shapes to identify where they where from.

So far have liked the idea of filling in the pogs with colour and then wiping it off leaving the colour in the etching or whatever.
That way you could have the same pog but use different colours to identify the state the robot was from.
I personally hope their is some difference in the pogs between states somehow, it adds another level to the information and up to now each state has been doing their own thing anyway so it would make it more accurate and a at a glance u could see who the robots been fighting.

Just a thought if peeps like the planetary idea then maybe add a small gear between the 3 large ones so it meshs everything together and have this central gear as where the mounting hole would be so using just a bolt with a hex head you can secure it to your robot.

Personally I think each state should have its own pog as each state is independant of the other, thats just my 2 cents on the matter anyways.

Post Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:13 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I was just thinking the same thing about the different markings & colours for the different states; there is no reason the pogs can't be cut with different writing inside the cogs. Its just a matter of working how many of each to lay out on a sheet of metal so we are not over supplied in one state and short in another.

With Brett's logo, there is no room left for other writing - is that OK with everyone?

Post Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:39 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

How about changing the letters inside the gears to suit the state or event ?

Also, Gary and I were talking about just where you *put* a pog earlier, and we came up with what seemed like a good idea..

Instead of sticking the pogs to the robot, how about if we design up a standard A4 "Info Sheet" that could be printed out and stuck to a piece of polycarb or aluminium that has printed in nice large letters, Robot Name, Team Name, Driver, and then maybe a few smaller bits of info about the bot lower down and a presentation (pre-battle-damage) photo of the bot at the bottom.

Then around the edges, a border space is left where the pogs can be mounted in a gradually increasing ring as the bot wins more and more fights.

The idea is that each driver brings the board into the arena with them at the start of a fight, and stands there for a moment facing the video camera and/or crowd with the board sitting on the bot.

That way the spectators (be them video or live) immediately know the name of the bot/driver/team that is about to fight and can see by the number of pogs mounted around the edge of the board what that 'bots fight record is like.

A little bit cheesy I suppose, but no worse than a WWF wrestler carrying in the championship belt and parading around, then taking it off to actually fight.

It gives you something you can sit on your mantlepiece or trophy cabinet or whatever.

We had a chuckle about the idea of mounting titanium pogs on the bot, and how the more fights you won, the better armoured your bot would gradually get, as it accumulated a coating of titanium "scales" all over it..

The info boards are also good for putting the bot on display at exhibitions and things.. Cars at car shows often do it.

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:26 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Nexus:
You dont need software that recognises gear mesh to animate a planetary gear box. Most important thing would be getting the model accurate.

I was probably using the wrong software tool to try and animate it.

Not being much of a flash-animation guru, I was using Cool3D which is primarily designed to create 3D animated text, so I turned the gears into Font-Characters and was moving them around with key-frame points and vectors and things, but it just wasnt happening. Moving things around in a 3D space and applying cool effects its good at. moving things around in tight relationship to each other, it isnt.. Confused

Maybe lightwave or one of those 3D shape animation programs would be better to tinker with for that sort of thing ?

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:35 am