www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Winners pogs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

Just like when Annihilation broke Scrap's saw motor, Andrew was kind enough to give it to me as a kill prize Cool I just couldn't talk him into giving me that Dewalt Blade Razz

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:24 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Aaron still has the axe from Budget Bot that he cut off with annihalation. Might be a bit easier than organising pogs and stuff but a kill tally on the bot would be good.

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:53 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Andrew K gave me a burned out motor from Hellbringer. It was not a winner's trophy, but I like having it anyway.

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:55 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

@ Glen: Somewhere (lost in a box in my study) I have a genuine Iron Cross with oak leaves, I bought it when I was a kid & visited the UK. no way I am bolting it to Jolt though Laughing

The pogs idea is good; it would be cheaper if we used something like foil stamping and laminating. That way, the parts are fairly universal and cheap to make, with a top layer we print on clear adhesive film and apply as needed. I have a contact who might have some ideas on how to make it economical.

On the other hand, we could go with a very generic look and get a larger quantity made up. I know a place in QLD that can laser engrave and cut thin stainless steel sheet quite cheaply - the demo pieces I have look great and also quite rugged compared to plastic.

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:12 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

What about some sort of stamp to go straight on the bots. Just get a couple made and then when a bot wins all you need is a hammer. Don't think it would work on a plastic bot though but you could always just get a few ali circles cut and just stamp them.

Also if people wanted to keep a record the could always use a peice of ALi with the bots name on it as a sort of plaque.

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:41 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Hey ! I have an idea. they have these "Smiley" stamps for sale down the local milk-bar ! Laughing I'll just use one of those and we can cover the winning bot with a smiley for each win ! ??? No ? Dont you remember them from primary school ? They were cool ! ? (Ahem. ok, maybe not)

I like the metal-stamp idea (although I have visions of branding a cow at a cattle station in my mind Smile ), but its not very visible from a distance, and isnt easy to change for different events.

So far, I'm thinking a round color sticker on a fairly detailed lasert cut metal backing plate of some sort is a good combo.

That way the sticker can be easily altered to suit the event or state series, can have some nice detailed imagery and can be laser-printed in full-color on without difficulty. Maybe on transparent film ? It can even be replaced if it gets all scuffed up.

The custom backing plates are laser-cut out from a sheeet and adds the "seal of authenticity" factor. so the stickers (being easy to reproduce themselves) have no validity if they're not mounted on one of these custom -cut backing discs.

The discs could be made as a bulk-job and some distributed to each event-operator who would then apply their own sticker design relative to their event.

Assuming that idea flies. that are *2* design jobs open for submissions.. Smile the metal-disc outline, and the sticker to go with each event/series/whatever.

Anyone have any better suggestions ?

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The idea is evolving really well. Keep in mind that the laser cutting can be ANY shape and the cost is related to the length of the cut - complex designs will cost a bit more. Its also possible to have different designs on the same laser cut job, we could have different writing or shapes for each event and the cost won't change. Lastly, remember that the finished pog has to be all one piece and that nested shapes (like the middle of an 'O') have to be connected to the rest of the piece. If you want writing, you will need to find or make a stencil font.

How big should these things be? around 25 to 35mm across?

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:10 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I almost forgot; the stainless steel example I have has laser engraved writing on it that looks like sandblasting - its burnt in about half way thru the metal and we could wipe various colours of paint into the writing to make it stand out. Doing that would be even easier and more durable than a plastic overlay.

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:16 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

you could also get them anodized if there made from aluminium, jakes done some of his own anodizing and it turned out pretty nifty

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

How about anodised titanium? The total cost might not be that much different, since an aluminium part would need to be much thicker than S. steel or titanium for strength and the cutting costs would be higher.

For cost reduction, is there any problem with making the pogs a shape that packs onto a sheet with less waste material? making them a shape that packs edge to edge like a square or hexagon will dramatically reduce the cutting costs and reduce scrap to almost nothing. Some interlocking MC Escher type designs spring to mind here...

If we anodised the parts and also filled the engraving with paint, there wouldn't be much need for a plastic overlay - unless you wanted a very specific event name.

Apart from a graphic design, what words do we want?

- event / venue name
- WINNER or
- KO or
- MELEE
- other options like 'best built' or 'coolest design'

I'm not sure the date is worth having and we could add that with a clear sticker if people want it.

Lastly, cost (ugh!) If I could get these made for around $2 or $3 each, would we subsidise them from entry fees or should winners buys them? It sounds fairer to go with a 'user pays' scheme, so that the top teams are not getting their medals paid for by the losers and winners who don't like the idea don't have to buy them

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:56 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

"wooden spoon" XD
I think not a word like "winner" but some kind of robowars logo?

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:24 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Got some good ideas there nick.

Yeah i have a laser cut fighter jet with writing engraved into it i think that would be a good idea as nick sed you can wipe paint into them and you could have them in the shape of a nut that way as nick sed it would reduce the cutting cost heaps and still maintane some form of shape you would see on a robot.

As for the cost of them how bout if we add $5 to the entry fee which if theres 10 people and say 20 fights thats $50 then who ever wins a pog can buy them for $1? which would add up to $70 which should be enoughf to cover the pogs if there around $3 each.

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:28 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

How many pogs would we need for a year? I figure Marayong could go thru over 100 with 8 events of around 15 battles each.

The sample laser cut I have is .15mm S steel and where its not heavily perforated, its reasonably stiff. THe thinnest titanium I can get is .25mm and would be stiff even with plenty of cut outs. The materials cost for a 25mm square pog in Ti would be no more than 50 cents and more likely around 35c. I don't know what the cutting cost would be yet, but a finished price of under $2 in quantity seems easy.

Get working on those designs Wink !

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:25 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

lol, does anyone like my design of a yingyang sign turned mechanical? That could look quite good if it was done pro (embossed metal with bolts or rivit shapes for the dots) i think.... but then its my teams logo Smile .
What about a 3D looking etching of a bolt and a spark (lightning) going through it? That would look good. Also if it was lasercut you could have a few different winning pog designs. Smile
I'll do up some logo designs on paintshop pro... just for fun. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:39 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

their has been numerous handovers of damaged parts in our comps ,its a good idea, we have a pile getting bigger and bigger at jeffs ,just look in the back corner of our arena on the other side of the wall lots of bot bits ....as for the pogs that sounds like fun ,i have seen more and more team t shirts turning up at our events so pogs will add a bit more colour .
what about a belt or ribbon type thing that attaches to your radio set or a team flag or banners that are in your pit area to see your battle results .or maybe just a number representing how many wins you have had over the years

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:56 pm