RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Beetleweight resource page
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Definately not polycarbonate screwed together with bunnings screws Smile

stainless >2mm probably a good call

I used 2.5 mild steel for a while and it got a bit munched by the previous generation of nasty horizontal spinners (cyberpolice, etc), but not terminally so

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:18 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I used 1.6mm titamium on my first beetle - it was seriously bent by Glen's horizontal spinner but didn't break. With better design, I think 1.5 to 2.5 Ti is the thickness range to look at

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:57 am 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

yeah we have already evolved to Ti for both beetles and ants, bort and i were discussing this on the trip back

that was one hell of a short honeymoon period of getting away with 'low technology' for the insect classes! esp. the beetles!

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:19 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hmmm hard to say actually. Carbine had a good crack at the 1.2mm carbon fibre i had on cyber police and frayed it up a little but nothing too bad. id build a robot from 2-3mm carbon Smile aaron had some plate from hobbyking and it looked great. cheap too.

the 1.2mm grade 5 titanium crazyvaclav was made from cost me about $20 shipped from ebay UK for a 50cm x 30cm sheet. i got demons lid out of that piece too. Its really strong but is rather flexible. and would also use it again.

As for hardcore armour i really dig old style saw blades. the ones that were just made from a really hard steel without carbide tips. they're about 2mm thick and the stuff is just so crazy strong. all of cyber police was made from it. Id use that for a brick style robot thats for sure Smile

Thick plastic i think would work well as well. A few of angus' robots were done from that and stood up well.

Still hard to say though.. every metal has its place and purpose just like featherweights..early days yet. Thats why i enjoy the new class so much, trying to work out the best combos for everything.. armour thickness, robot size weapon weights etc

And antweight and beetle sizes though expensive materials like carbon fibre and titanium are plenty viable though. You could probably belt out 5+ robots from $50 worth of the stuff.

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

yep i also had some hobbyking 1.5mm carbon fibre on the back of Polycarbine, very good quality, tho i think at that price point Ti is better value (tho harder to work with)

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:44 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I think we all know the best armor is bunnings ali L bracket Laughing
But yeah seriously, HDPE chopping board is perfect and costs nothing.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:32 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Air is the best armor Cool

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:40 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

fiberglass sounds like it'd be well suited to beetles, very free form, damage is loacalised, and you could knock out a frame every 40 minutes if your keen ;->

If we can get sufficient interest dads happy to give a demo/instructional/how to at his place.

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Thinner Ti sheet is dead easy to cut up with an angle grinder - I did all mine that way and curved edges are reasonably quick to shape on an bench grinder after you have a cut a straight-edged part.

Drilling Ti is fairly easy as long as you don't need huge holes - start with a small diameter and step up 1 or 2mm at a time

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:21 pm 
seanet1310

quote:
Originally posted by Valen:
fiberglass sounds like it'd be well suited to beetles, very free form, damage is loacalised, and you could knock out a frame every 40 minutes if your keen ;->

If we can get sufficient interest dads happy to give a demo/instructional/how to at his place.

If you do any chance you could film it or something for us poor non nsw's guys ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

if it happens I'll give it a go.

HAH I wonder if it'd provide material for the video

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

What is an average size weapon motor that you guys use in beetles? Just thinking of friction drive onto a circular saw.

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:18 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

28-32 size seems to be about right. i use a 2820 i think mystery motor from ebay and its been awesome. others use the turnigy 3530 IIRC.

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:25 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Any thoughts about an equivalent inrunner motor size? I was looking at motors around the 20mm diameter size with ~ 100W output and KV around 4000

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:05 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

might be a bit small, the 3530 outrunners are 300 watts. Problem with all the inrunners ive seen is the tiny shafts they all seem to come with.

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:07 pm