RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

RS80 Repairs

Author    Thread
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

RS80 Repairs

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:

What happened to Jeff's RS80 ? Another switchmode reg ? or something else ?

Nah Brett, I killed it good this time . . . The Atmel ATMega 16 microcontroller now has a hole in the middle of it, as does a Texas Instruments chip that I cant find a datasheet for (Part number is TLC2791). It happened while I was fault finding the spinner activation, I was working over the open, powered up rs80D and a tiny little wire thread fell onto the board, which promptly brought a puff of smoke, and by that time I knew my day was over.
( I found out today what the spinner problem was, my relays had both stuck open for some stupid reason, not a wire loose as I had first thought. Better for saftey they stuck open rather than closed I guess . . . *cough* Orbit *cough*)

Not sure what im going to do to fix this thing yet . . . I need to replace the Atmel and reprogram it with software I cant find, replace the TI chip that I cant find a datasheet for so I have no idea what it does. If I somehow manage to get those two on there, I then have to hope that nothing else has gone wrong that will kill the new parts Ive just added.

If only I had prepared a little better . . . and had some sleep that night, all of this might not have happened . . .

ffej.net

Post Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Hey Jeff, could you do me a huge favour and measure the hight of the RS 80 while its out of the box? Those central caps

@ everyone else: Please be patient, I am just starting to transfer the video and I should have a few clips posted by Tuesday morning.

Post Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:13 am 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

@Nick, including the components on the bottom of the board, its just under 45mm tall. The PCB dimensions are 130X80mm.

ffej.net

Post Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:10 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

@Jeff: Bummer, sounds like a bad blowup..

I've been silly enough to work on powered up electronics and do that sort of thing myself on occasion.. Confused The more you know, the more casual you get sometimes..

If you fried it good enough to blow holes in the micro, I hope none of those internal multi-layer circuit board tracks have blown.. that would be a bitch to find. Sad

I had a hunt around for that TI Chip data as well for you, strange.. not even Texas Instruments website lists it.. even in their obsolete or current part #'s data section.. but a couple of chinese web-sites have it listed (well, the bits you can read anyway). No Datasheets though.. weird, perhaps if you call your local TI Distributor and get one of their sales reps on the case ? I wonder what it does..? let me know if you find anything out, I'm interested..

You wont find the micro Software for the RS80 lying around anywhere on the net. It's based on the uRRC/uMOB v2.0 as far as I know, which isnt open-source. Only the version 1 uMOB is Open-source.

So you will need to contact Larry Barello who wrote the code at http://www.barello.net/uRRC20/index.htm or more likely David Moeller (the RS80 designer) @ http://www.robot-solutions.com/ and ask them nicely if you can have a copy of the code. If they dont want to do that, maybe they will sell you a pre-programmed micro as a spare part if you really want to fix it yourself..

Both of them are occasionally on the OSMC mailing list, and they might recognise you from there, (since I've seen you post in there) and decide to be nice and help you out. Failing that, its off to Mike Philips at RotorDesign, who is an authorised RS80 repairer..

Post Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:03 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger