www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

drill specs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well try tieing the leads of the motor together and wrenching the thing. other than that grind the thing off...

btw LMAO nice effort welchy Very Happy

Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I read a tip on the US battlebots forum on how to get drill chucks off easily..

make sure you've removed the screw (duh Rolling Eyes) get a decent size allen key (the sort with the right angle bend on them). put it in the drill chuck, tighten the chucks jaws up on the allen key , and then whack the sideways facing part of the allen key sharply with a hammer (in the right direction).. After a few whacks, the shock should undo the chucks without trouble..

Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

ok you want a easy way?
Leave the drill togeather
Remove the screw
Turn on the drill holding onto the cluch (make sure it spins the right way)
Works for me even when I don't want it to(the screw came out)

Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:42 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

I have undone the screw on the ux1 drill motor and i cant get the chuck off what do i do? Evil or Very Mad
I tryed the alen key thing and just stuffed my alen key Sad

And dose anyone know what the 18v ozito drill motors are like? Cool

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:09 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

yay i hit it with a hammer and then unscrewed it hoooorayyy!!!! Laughing

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:55 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The Ozito drills are over priced XU-1 drills with better plastic cases (who cares) better batteries (who cares) and the exact same motor & gearbox.

Have a look at the two screws behind the chuck and you will see that its right...

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:31 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

i know the 12v ux1 and the 12v ozito drills are the same ass i have one of each i got for xmas Laughing

With the 18v ozito if its the same motor as the 12v version or the ux1 drill but running at 18v if the rpm of the drill is still the same as the ux1 or the 12v ozito drill that means the gearbox is diff and has more power cos it has more gear reduction Cool

Is that right? Confused

And can i run ux1 drills on 24v?

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:41 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Marauder has 18v Ozitos. They are Johnson motors. Don't XU1s have RS motors? My Ozitos have lasted one year so far.

Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:15 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

It seems that running the XU1 motors at 24V melts them pretty quickly - ask Glen Smile I run them at 18V and have had a few problems, but mostly after gearbox failures.

I also used 18V Dick Smith drills @ 24V which worked fine but I decided the expense wasn't worth it. The good news is that the gearboxes are exactly the same (between the DSE and XU1 at least) and I recycled some parts into XU1 gearboxes.

Probably your best option is to get the cheapest possible 18V drills and replace the gearboxes with XU1 parts when they break - you will go thuough many more gearboxes than motors so this is the cheapest option if you want to over-volt.

I don't know about the difference in RPM between the various drills, but it seems the 18V drills use a similar motor which may be wound a little differently to give similar speed but more torque. The gears are the same, so any difference in performance is due to the motors.

Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:08 am 
andrew

Well it depends really. If u use red wheels and have 12 volt drills at 24 volts with speed controller u should be alright. Ask team robowars as a fair few of theirs use drills at 24 volts and red wheels without too many probs.

Tim and KO uses 4 drills at 24 volts with good success and singularity with 6.

Nick, i am sure the problem with yoru motors getting too hot is because of the amount of grip on those colsons. That would put extra load on the motor me thinks.

Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:52 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I'd agree with that.. The Red Wheels do seem to be a happy combination with drill motors.. they provide a crude form of "torque limiting" that seems to help ease the load on the gearboxes somewhat. Grippier wheels would definitely increase the stress the gearboxes have to deal with.

Interestingly enough though, none of my own bots are actually running XU1's at 24v !

Inspector General (at 24v) is running those Jaycar "Gate opener" drill thingies that were on sale for a while. They look exactly like an XU1 drill motor, but they run Johnson Motors rather than Huang Chang or whatever chinese company XU1's use. Scoopy Doo's drive motors only run at 12v, and "The Acid Test" runs ancient Dick Smith Drills (some of the first ones we bought years ago) and hasnt broken a gearbox yet.. even with its 200mm grippy pneumatic tires and 25Kg of weight. This is probably due to the floating-hub sysem on the wheels which bears all the load of the wheels (you can stand on The Acid Test) and just leaves the drills to do the driving.

Some of Gary's bots might be running XU1's at 24v, I'm not sure.. Minimower runs scooter motors, and Ballistic has 9.6v KK2's at 12v I think. I'm not sure whats driving Rat.

Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:13 am 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

ok i have just brought two ux1 drils and modded them.

My red wheels are off center and they wobble a bit what do i do?
Is there a better way of fixing them to the drills then the plastic insert?

My plans are to run them at 24v or maybe have two 12v packs and the drills run off one and the ev runs off the two would that work?

Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:38 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I used seperate packs on the first version of Basilisk with one 14.4 NiMh pack for traction and two parallel 14.4V packs for the EV. That worked well, as stalling the EV didn't affect the IBC and traction power.

Can't help you with the red wheels - I recommend buying some Colson wheels and custom hubs from CNCbotparts.

Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:53 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Might have to nick Confused

I am now thinking of makeing my own ali hubs that slot over the star shaped spokes on the inside of the wheel al i kneed is some ali bar with a criss cross shape cut in it with a hacksaw and a hole in the center then just slot it over and screw the end bolt in.

Any more ideas? Confused

Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:59 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That could work, but that still does not lock the wheel to the drill shaft too well. Check out the photos here: http://www.cncbotparts.com/handiworks_hubs.htm . You can see that the press fit hubs work like the original drill chucks - they screw on and lock with the LH thread screw. You could do the same with your idea if the slotted plate was thicker than the length of the thread (around 15mm?) but it would probably weigh more and still have less traction than the Colson wheels.

Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:10 pm