Experienced Roboteer

Ouch, that sites $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Sad

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:35 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Sounds like a commerically sponsored version of an "Electrathon" (google it for more info) - a good way of generating sales I suppose.

I went to a local Electrathon at VFL Park years ago that was being run by RMIT - It was technically interesting to someone who was aware of the clever regenerative braking and power systems, but not very exciting to watch.

Since it was designed to encourage efficient EV design, the goal was to see who managed to complete the race (certain number of laps), or got the furthest (if noone completed it), thus the "racing" was quite boring the majority of the time, as the drivers were mainly interested in maximising their battery life and so were driving very conservatively and smoothly, rather than the usual cut'n'thrust overtaking of competitive racing..

Perhaps instead of "who got the furthest", the winner sould be judged on "who spent the most time out front" (even if they didnt finish the whole race) ? That might encourage a bit more racing and a bit less just "circulating" as they say when a race driver isnt really trying hard..

The other problem that occurred was the race was largely pre-determined by "Whoever had the best batteries" (in terms of kw/hr's per kilogram)..

Exide had just semi-released a new type of SLA battery technology (I forget the name of the tech, it was the same as they used to use in their "switch" batteries), which had a lot higher power-to-weight than "normal" batteries and was only available at the time to people with the right contacts in the industry, which caused a lot of grumbling at the event, as the teams lucky enough to have these new batteries clearly were clearly ahead of those less fortunate..

Anyway, back to point, EV Racing sounds like fun, and I like the idea of basig it on a go-kart chassis as those guys seem to, since it makes it very accessible since Go-Kart chassis can be had everywhere for not too many $, but I wouldnt make it a duration-based race..

Perhaps pick a number of laps that can be easily achieved even by a team running a low $ setup, which would leave more room for the "power wasting" competitive driving style ?

Post Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

jeff and i ages back had the thought we could just build one of the EV racers with the two 1.2KW king right motors and just hammer it along full power until it ran out of power heh. we figured it would have broken the maximum distance record even if we did that.

i guess it would be a boring race (worthy of the name race? lol) but i guess that defies the point of it.

or you could just specify a certain amount of charge goes into each vehicle and just run them and see who got the furthest Smile

it would be good to see someone use a CVT in those machines. i reckon that would really help them out some.

Post Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Meh, we all still need to make narcarts lol. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:53 pm 
andrew

well ill be making a small electric bike after HSc at end of year if that counts.

Post Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:06 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

brett
just make it an electric go cart race
first across the line wins.

depending on what your pushing is how much weight you allocate to batteries.
efficency low weight
motor power density, high battery weight
add electrolyte and stir for your own brand of racing.
if you had short races it could get pretty funky with all wheel drive, independant traction controll and all that jazz.

if you wanted to push the electric funkyness angle allow petrol electric setups.
i hear your average race type car has a drive train efficency of ~70% (ie 70% of the power that comes out of the engine makes it to the wheels) an 80% efficent generator and an 80% efficent motor is 64% total efficency if my envelope is correct (it was a bank statement so there may have been fees and charges) if you make it to 90% for both (achievablle with the ammount of effort some of the solar race people put in) you wind up with 81% power transmission and a 312% increase in coolness not to mention an electronically traction controlled gocart with a big block V8 in it would be pretty cool of its own accord.

Post Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

While your going big block V8, I'm going Mr Fusion Cool

Narkarts are what I'm looking forward too. It's not the racing that's fun, it's the building and learning process and the hilarious antics that goes with them Razz

Post Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:28 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

you make me a working Mr Fusion and i'll sell it for you

Post Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=892

There you go Jake, let me know how marketing goes Wink

Post Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:30 pm