www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

A switch from a servo board?

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

A switch from a servo board?

Can the control board of a servo be used as a solid state switch? I am thinking that the motor could be pulled from the servo and the power, that normally would turn the motor, could trip a relay. Would this work? I am looking your way, Brett.

Post Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:45 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Sure can . . . . this was how the weapon on the original catalyst was operated, made a schematic on how to do it a while back . . . considering your still using a relay, its not exactly solid state, but still works reasonably well.

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=148

ffej.net

Post Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I am looking at activating a solenoid valve that requires 6v an 0.67 W. Will the servo control board supply this without a relay?

Post Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:22 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well 6v would require you run the servo off 6v, most are good for that.

0.67w and 6v is some 0.1A which sounds about what a servo motor would draw under load. give it a crack and see, id like to know the results too

Post Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I might just have a go and see what happens. I don't have the valve that I would like to use. I could set up a dummy load and test that. I only want to power it for less than one second.

It is for Alex's Yamato battleship. I would like to use an electronic valve to fire the CO2 canons. The more common way is to have a servo push a button to fire the canons resulting in a time delay.

You don't want any delay when you are passing an enemy ship and he is returning fire. Alex will be able to deliver a 27 ball bearing broadside.

Post Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:22 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

philip i use a servo board in Sproing to turn on a drill fett to trigger a relay if you are only going to trigger a single coil you could use this and do away with the relay altogether..you could posibly just use the servo if you only want to switch at 6 volts i use 7.2 packs on the servos in T2M and drive 4 fetts directly off it you will probaly just ned a 1 amp diode and a small capacitor to hold the voltage as the servos actualy pwm .

Post Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:31 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Just use my circuit, run 6V instead of 12, and put the valve in place of the relay.

ffej.net

Post Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Totaly_Recycled:
i use 7.2 packs on the servos in T2M and drive 4 fetts directly off it.

Another thing that Yamato will need is speedos. It will be pulling less than 10 A. The guys tell me they use about 2 A constant. How hard would it be to make a pair or speedos for this using the servo boards?

Waterproof speedos are about $80 each. They give 50A forward and 10A in reverse. It would be good if I could have a cheaper board and just put some FETs onto it.

Post Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:30 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I bought the solenoid yesterday. It is a Clippard EV-3-6. Today I pulled out a servo board and removed the motor, as discussed above. The board powers the solenoid quite easily. The solenoid was switching on at about 0.3v without any air pressure.

Thanks to all who gave advice.

http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=900

Post Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:18 pm