www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

Tracks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Should tracked robots get a weight advantage?
Yes, they should get 13kg
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Yes, they should get 15kg
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Yes, they should get a weight advantage other than the above listed (please specify)
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
No, They should get no weight bonus
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 17

Author    Thread
TeamFroggy

I just thought I'd point out that this was Andrew(team Vertex) idea, I forgot to mention it in my earlier post. Tracks was one of many topics discussed last weekend while we were working on a future Metal Mayhem Venue. Andrew, I'm sorry for stealing your thunder as it were.
After reading a few of the posts, maybe this rule could be applied to Light and featherweights only. This way, anyone wanting to build to the "international standard" so they can compete OS, would probably want to do so in a heavier weight class anyway, can get plenty of battle time with equal robots.

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:42 pm 
chris

I like that idea andrew (previous forum page) and I think that we should be thinking about writing them into the ABBL rules

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:07 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I really support the idea of making the robot within 12kg and then only getting the extra weight for the tracks, runners and guides. This makes it very fair in my eyes. I would definately be very happy if this was to be carried out with the walkers, as it will eliminate basically any chance of cheating, but still makes it fair for those building a walker.

Cheers!

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:34 pm 
TeamFroggy

This post is marked for deletion - move it to the walker thread please

I think the problem is not with the agreed weight bonus but with the definition of "walker" correct me if I'm wrong.

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:36 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

arrgh ! Run away Shocked someone mentioned the definition of "walker"..

Grenade alert ! http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame65.html

I thought this was a thread about Tracks ?

Razz

Last edited by Spockie-Tech on Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

<rant>

Well I think people are mainly worried about having another case of Son of Whyachi on there hands, a big assed spinner that whoops ass because it used most of the weight from the walker bonus to the weapon.

Now I know Brett wants people building walkers with 8940 thousand points of movement from 230 leg joints and a full sensor array with a Cray Super computer on board to be qualified as a walker, but the average person with a bit of mechanical design and creativity in their mind can't really do this on there budget/knowledge.

</rant>

Cool

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:04 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Andrew Aidulos (I hope I spelled that correctly) continuously comes up with creative ways to simplify complex issues. "this was Andrew(team Vertex) idea"

A Totally recycled post is always worth reading.

I hope to compete one day, in many years,in the feather weights in the UK. Karen will agree as it is the only way that she will get me on a plane for that length of time.

I might end up building a tracked 12kg+ for the Australian comp though. I have been thinking about how I would do it and it has led to some interesting ideas.

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:09 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Seems like we are making progress on this issue. The latet discussions which are promising arent really reflected in the polls. The idea of weighing in the tracks seems to be a formula that would work for shufflers and walkers. What it does is not let people redirect their weight and encourages you to build something as technical as you like.
Hope this doesnt fade away and some sort of ruling happens.
There is a grey area in this method and that is the incorporation of armour into the mix. Some bots like ronin are podded and their structural components are also its armour. Armour is something that can sneak in to the equation with tracks as well as walkers. Not a big concern but something to consider.
Why do we struggle with the concept of 2 degrees of freedom for walkers.
Theres lots of info describing this. Build reptiles not horses. Maybe we should have an event where the builders are in the ring fighting about walkers and the last guy walking wins.

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:13 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Maybe we should have an event where the builders are in the ring fighting about walkers and the last guy walking wins.

Ok, I'm just going to pack 25mm of lexan body armour, a few taser guns, a large array of gun and knifes, plus Annihilation for that ankle busting action Cool

Armour is an interesting point, and I've just started thinking about it myself. It is possible people could make there component for there walker/track robot behind layers of 10mm T7075 Aluminium and get the weight as part as the walking/tracked bonus. But I beleive armour is required on the robot anyway and it should be included as part of the weight of the 12kg bot itself, not apart of the walker/tracked bonus if you get what I mean.

quote:
Build reptiles not horses

So we should build no legged walkers like Snake? Smile Also, Dinosaurs are classed as a reptilian and some of them (T-Rex) walk just like chickens or the same as the hind legs on a horse.

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:26 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Actually the difference between a dinosaur and a reptile is its hip joints which by definition a dinosaur would not be a reference but a crocodile would.

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:40 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Why reptiles though? There are hundreds of other walking animals around which are "true" walkers.

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:42 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

"True Walkers" Thats the sort of comment that creates confusion. I mentioned reptiles because it is easy to see the 2 degrees of freedom. Birds, most mammals and fish generally have one degree of motion. Not sure what animal you think is a real walker in robot definition but it seams like its a reptile to me. It has to be obviuos when the animal is walking in a straight line.

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:51 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Ah, I didn't under stand that you were using the animal to explain the degrees of freedom.

Well people snuff at robots like Anarchy when the term walker is put up in the air. It has 8 legs, they move in two degrees, up/down and forwards/backwards.

Maybe that idea of a Walkers only class is sounding like the only way walkers will ever get anywhere.

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:57 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Dont know what Anarchy looks like but as you have descibed it it sounds like a shuffler. Up down forward and Back is all on the same plane. It needs to go up, down left and right to be on 2 planes. Like X and Y in 3D terms. A croc lifts its leg but pushes sideways to move forward where trex lifts his leg and leans forward on the same plane to move forward.
The motion you descibed on Anarchy could be chartered on a flat piece of paper. meaning one dimension not two

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:09 pm 
colin

can you guys make a new thread? this is way off topic and isn't helping at all Twisted Evil

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:20 pm