www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

House of Carnage- Season 1 - Round 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
wilko

my dad said fan motors would have a fair bit of speed but not enough torque to cut through steel and to use somthing like windscreen wiper motors but he dosn't realy know Rolling Eyes

Post Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:30 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

It depends on the type of fan motor most use the ones from Magna's 's i think but some one who uses them can tel you more. they are quite torquy and very fast so even if you geared them 2to1 they would still have good speed and much more torque ..windscreen motors are real weak on their own with out the worm gear and with the worm gear conected you are looking at around 64 rpm at 12 volts thats even too slow for driveing wheels unles they are big dia .
Also read the first page of every ones build threads that will give you an idea what wheapons most of us are running and what motors and speed controlers and armour ect

Post Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:54 pm 
andrew

yes withsaw blades and motors, the tr magna fan motors myself and glen have used successfully r monsters at 24 volts with a saw blade directly mounted even, On my first robot scrap i had that setup and cut through lexan and polycarb like it wasnt there, cut into aluminium pretty easily and cut through the corner pices on nicks second robot. the blade was only stalled twice ever i think in combat and onl broke when aarons bot ahnialation luckily clipped it while i was getting to his front panel.

From pick ad payless the motor was bout 10-15 ish and at these markets near glens u can get PHAt sawblades for like 1$ each and stuff.

SO its cheap and damn nasty when used effectively.

Post Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:34 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Have you had a look at the videos? Good place to start will help you not to make the same mistakes again. Cordless drills are ideal for a beginners set of drives. Or if you want something with a bit more speed have a look at oatleyelectronics.com and maybe some scooter drives would suit you with the brackets.

Coming to an event before you start building would probably be a good idea. Our next event is the 16th if your willing to go for a bit of a drive it would probably be a good place to start. As for our next event date in 2006 that probably won't be decide till were almost there but whenever you have a bot ready there will probably be an event soon as we meet every 6 - 8 weeks.

Also if you want some help jump on msn and add some of us and we'll answer any question you want. If going to continue discussing your bot you might create a thread in tech chat for it and for info on our next event see HOC round 5.

Post Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:36 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

echoing what andrew said, a WW motor is far too slow and low in torque. the slowness of it means it wont cut anything irregardless of torque.

the TR magna motors are high power easy to use and light but youll kill them all the time due to their construction. have a look for one of these motors -

http://photobucket.com/albums/v357/Cobrarobotics/Kang/?action=view&current=DSC01876.jpg

24v and a 230mm saw blade is probably as good a setup as you can get. verging on a standard table saw in power. robust too and $10 cant be beat

if you want some videos of that setup look up my MSN and i can send you some videos and pictures

Post Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

To find the House of Carnage...

PM or email me for exact directions.

Roughly, it is in my backyard in Goombungee.
Goombungee is approx. 50km NNW of Toowoomba.
Toowoomba is easy to find on a map, look a little west of Bris.

Guessing 2 to 3 hrs drive from Ballina...

Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:19 pm 
wilko

wats ur email

Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:47 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

You can find his email at the bottom of his post. There is also a useful search up in the top right corner of the page if you wish to search for past discussions on this forum.

Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:58 pm 
wilko

in house of carnage does the middleweight class battle on flat surfaces or all-terrain?? also are middleweights alowed to have circuler saw blades???

Post Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:42 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

no middleweighs as of yet. nic wants to run some outdoors on all terrain but this would mean no spinners and that would include your circular saw.

Post Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:43 pm 
wilko

what about lightweight???

Post Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:06 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Currently featherweights are the only full combat robots in Australia. There has been one lightweight demo in Melbourne.

Post Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:28 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

@ everyone interested in the QLD Season...

Season for 2006 and beyond....
The arena is going to be enlarged and more re-inforcing is to go in.

Once completed, the main arena will have 3.5mX6m for fighting area, 2 full-sized screens are going in (in talks with a local supplier of polycarb - it may end up thicker than 6mm). Bot activation will occur over a 6mm thick steel inner wall (30cm approx. tall) that will be sunk into slits cut in the concrete floor... i.e.- no more bots stuck under the buffer planks. The inner wall will also function as a TKO area (if you can get your opponent over the wall, they are considered KO).
The main arena is for Featherweights (trying to upgrade the arena for ANY rule-legal tech/weapon systems). This may mean the arena ends up being strong enough for non-spinner Lightweights.... time will tell...

There is also plans for an outdoor "all-terrain" arena. The intention is for off-road Lightweights (think of it as building a featherweight - with a spare 10kg for bigger drives/suspension/large wheels/bigger batteries/etc), or Middleweights if there is enough interest. The outdoor arena will have a TKO 'pit' - with raised sides. There will be a low HD fence - partially sunk into the ground, the fence is merely to show the fighting area and catch wayward bots. NO spinning weapons permitted - due to safety requirements.

If there is enough interest, there will also be an ANT or SOZ arena... TBA.

Flat floors will be in the ANT and Featherweight arenas.... just don't count on the floor being perfectly flat.

Does that answer the QLD arena inquiry???

Don't forget that I just have the Goombungee arena. There has been talks of a Bris arena, and the guys up at Kilkevan also have an arena.

Post Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:26 am 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

QLD events

Here is something else for consideration.

I'll happily host a season of 12 events.
BUT
Take out 1 event for the time people go south for the Aussie Nats (Robowars in Melb.)
Take out 1 (or 2) events for the "stand alone" QLD championship - Metal Mayhem event/s.
Take out 1 event for the NSW Annihlator event.

Which leaves 9 (or 8 depending on Metal Mayhem having 2 events).
So.... for the events held here at the HoC, any ideas on how we have Feathers and Lightweights and Ants/Soz fights over the course of 1 day??
It takes us approx. 4.5hrs to get through the regular numbers of bots that turn up for Featherweight fights.

Any ideas???
Any suggestions???

Post Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:41 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

You might need to have 40 events a year to fit that in.

Post Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:45 am