www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

QLD builders meet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Welcome. The FRA ruleset is based on the RFL ruleset that we also use. You should find no surprises.

You might need to get used to taking a little 200 km drive to get to a fight in Oz as our population is spread out.

Our feathers are 13.6 kg and are the ones that most of us build.

Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:31 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Welcome to the forums Marlon. It's exciting to have a roboteer with large amounts experince coming to our local area (anything within 250km is local here Very Happy) I'm anxious to get to have a look X-terminator in person, instead of on the TV.

Being the only team in QLD with a heavyweight that is "nearly" finished, this might be a spark of inspiration for us to finish it. You don't happen to have a featherweight do you ?

Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:01 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Hi Marlon ..Welcome to Aus As explained by a couple of other people robots are only just Starting off seriously in Aus .

In the local Brisbane area thats basicly a 300 klm radius of Brisbane we have about aproximatly 8-10 teams -builders active . We only battle from reinforced Garages at the moment .

The Victorians have a lot more menbers than us now and have two sponsered properly built public arena's these are still only Cabable of handeling feather weights and some non spinner light weights are allowed at the organisers disgresion.
The Nsw blokes are a bit closer together and have quite a few teams now but they also only Battle in a reinforced garage. It has taken quite a few years to even get this far as distances between copetitions is great .

We have Been to Two Melbourne events with our Robots so far .But a 3500 + klm drive with a trailer and robots and Kids is best only done once a year lol .

At present there is one robot Arena near Brisbane at Goombungie and I have one here at my Place in Kilkivan but mine hasnt been used for a while and realy needs up grading as the power and destrictivnes of robots is now higher than when I first held the first ever non Public event in Aus here .
I think both are over an hours Drive from Brisbane .Marshal (Team Froggy )is organising another small arena right in Brisbane in his industrial work shed but i dont think that will be Ready for battle for a while yet .
Once Again welcome to aus but i think you might have to down grade to the feather weight class if you still wish to Battle over here.

Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:22 pm 
MadMarlon

Looks like I better buy a vehicle comfortable to drive in when I arrive,I complain about travelling 150Km here to fight.Looks like I will have to start building a featherweight X-Terminator to keep fighting for the moment.Hopefully bringing over a heavyweight (100Kgs) will perhaps get some heavy weights on the build.

Thanks for the advice so far and any other help or tips are always welcome,big move and lots of changes to get used to.

I have a semi finished heavy weight arena,capable of containing spinners and perhaps should look at shipping it with me considering that there doesn't seem to be many heavy weight arenas about.

Gonna take some getting used to 250km being local !

By the way once I'm settled in anyone is welcome to come and see the robot and look forward to joining some of your meetings.
Marlon

Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:00 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Wow, another arena would be awesome! capabile of handling heavyweights whould means we could practically do anything in there with featherweights and maybe even hold a large interstate event, of course with your permission Smile

Will be great to catch up and meet you in person. A RW legend moving to the sunny state!

Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:08 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Sounds good Marlin .It would be Awsome if you could can Bring the Arena over it Would be the first Heavy weight Arena in Aus lol . And at the moment i only know of 3 Part built heavies here in Aus
One Team Rotwang has built (Bulldoze al ifter pusher )ours (Vertex a vertical fly wheel ) and one Chris John was starting to Build but i think its still just a frame and i cant rember what its wheapon was going to be..

Although there was rumour that another heavy Migrated here a couple of years ago form over your way but i cant rember what it was called I havent heard any more about it Mabbee some one else knows more .

And yes a reasonable veichle is a must iff you want to travel any amout of distance ..the only difference is that most of the driveing beteeen cities here is a lot faster than what you are used to once you leave most city limits 150 klms is basicly an hour and a half drive give or take a bit for road works or 110 kph speed zones

Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:08 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

The other heavyweight to migrate from the UK was Floozy, an electric/spring powered axe bot. Completed in the series 3/4 qualifiers, never made it to the TV screen though. Floozy is lost some where in NSW Razz

Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:03 pm