14%  [ 2 ]
let them unstick them once
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 14

Author    Thread
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

yes that us the answer for sure ,but there is always some aspect of the arena someone doesnt like ,trust me we have had many battles in ours and every meet someone forgets the aspect of our arena and designs or adds something that gets caught up somewhere ....its up to you guys ,but consider all the possiblethings that can cause similar dramas and dont base a rule on 1 scenario ...cause everytime someone winges about something wrong with the arena your gonna have this topic up every week Very Happy

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:52 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Heres a crazy idea for u to get by with.
If someone sticks themselves somehow then maybe just unstick them but for them to win the match they have to KO their opponent as they where technically KOd anyway.
At least u can still have a fight till u sort your arena. just a thought

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:02 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

good idea that sounds fair to me Very Happy

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:08 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Not a bad idea George, but I would modify it slightly and say they should be left stuck for whatever the count-out period is before they are free'd..

So if someone sticks, the opponent hangs back, waits for a count-out, then ( if they want to keep fighting) free's them.

That way there is no question that they *were* stuck and have already lost anyway had the opponent not free'd them.. If the free'd robot cannot then turn the match around with a definite KO in the remaining time, they still lose, regardless of judging points or anything else (since they technically already lost by being stuck for X seconds).

It also means the opponent can free them knowing that they have still very likely won the match unless they get their butt totally kicked in the remaining time.. and if they thought that would happen, then they arent compelled to use their option to free them..

Its a bit of a kludge solution, but while the arena's are fine tuned, it might work as interim solution.. anyone see a problem ?

(Interestingly, I dont recall anyone getting stuck on the arena at RoboWars 2 - the "no horizontal gaps" floor worked very well)

finally, I know getting stuck on the Arena is a sucky way to lose, but so is Battery wires falling off, Radio Interference and any number of other not-very-much-fun ways you can lose, and we dont allow second chances for them, so I dont see why getting stuck should be any different to them.

I agree with Chris (just for a change Wink).. The arena is a known quantity, if you dont design your bot to take the arena conditions into account, you deserve to lose no matter how un-fun the method of loss is..

Post Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:28 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

Good point/s.
I suppose the main problem up here is the current arena. There have been a lot of wedges stuck under the planks we used to reinforce the lower walling.... besides the lack of actual arena floorspace.

I'm just very interested in being able to have bot fights - that DON'T involve refs and judges.

Then again... the rule of thumb (i.e.-thumbs up to live, thumbs down to kill) came about from the Roman Empire's games... (which was just a fleshy version of our oil-sport) and at these events everyone present got to ref Laughing

Post Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:47 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

The solution when it comes time to impliment it will be to cut a slice in the concrete and drop some steel strips into it but at the moment until we decide if this is the exact size and layout we are stuck * with what we got.

It'll prolly just be one of those things we figure out on the day

* please pardon the bad pun

Post Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:40 pm