www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

is it time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, why does it seem that directly attaching the motor shaft to the weapon shaft is the ideal choice. Photos i have seen on Hazard shows twin motors turning a single gear on the weapon bearing. Either way whats wrong with offsetting your motor from your bearing? Balance issues can be overcome and you can then put 2 evs in there if you want. The efficiency lost in the transfer method is at the cost of saving your motors.

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:01 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

yeah that's what I'm thinking.
Keep the motor tucked safely away, and have a really tough shaft to run the bearings on.

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That was my exact first option - I even have all but one of the parts. I got a real shock when the distributor told me the belt I needed was not available in Australia Shocked

It left such a bad impression that I am less keen on the belt drive option, even when I know it would work well. The other thing is that the belt drive weighed heaps! Basilisk dropped almost 2 Kg when I took out all the belt drive bits and I used the smallest pulleys I could get. I guesstimate the direct drive approach weighs under 500g, which keeps Basilisk under 12Kg.

If the direct drive runs into problems I can't solve, I will just bolt the bearing blocks back into Basilisk and get a few belts from the US.

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:14 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Just in case anyone hasn't seen those Trantorque bushes I was talking about, here is a link: http://www.fennerindustrial.com/products/trantorque/gt_ind.html

They are quite hard to find in Australia and a medium sized one with a 16mm ID is around $65 from RS components. They work like magic and are well worth the cash.

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:07 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

If you need belts and pulleys I recommend finding someone's chucked out photocopier or laser printer. The older the better - and they have some amazing gear in them.

Somewhere I have a box full of gearsets, toothed belt drives, clutches, electric brakes, big roller bearing, and all sorts of stuff that I pulled out of old photocopiers.

Now I just need to find it!

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by 3Faze:
Containment is the major issue. Over here a feather was orderred by the safety crew to turn it down. (EV warrior geared up 2:1 Shocked).

Doing the sums and working out the kinetic energy of some modern spinners can give some very worrying figures, bots such as Pimp2, Storm Vortex and my omicron are now producing figures in the region of Series 3/4 heavyweights such as Hypnodisc and Mazakari Confused

interesting how subject matter changes all of a sudden Confused

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:00 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

All for development but safety factors should be more discussed. Theres different opinions on a killswitch but saftey has to be always considered. Hate to imagine someones robot being a 4 foot blade on a latge spinner motor on a skateboard. Pushing things to their limits is what this sport seems to be about so danger is a factor, which makes it also appealling.

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:19 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well nick as i see it you can do 3 things.

1) just do it - put the mini mag and whyachi gearbox in it.

2) do what aaron and annihilation do. have a little shaft adapter welded onto the bar and have a bearing a little bigger over the motor shaft. the shaft adapter on the bar slips over the motor and into the bearing and presto one indestructible direct drive system

3) get an aluminium pair of pulleys. those ones you have are insanely heavy. i reckon there cast iron.

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

You've gone spinner mad, Glen Smile

I like all the options and will do them in this order 2, 3, 1. Looking at the problems with Totally Offensive on the Mad Overloard site, I'm doubtfull that I could get the weight down with a Mag motor - would be an interesting challenge though. Just substituting the Mag for the EV in the spreadsheet puts the weight at 12.5 KG. Option 2 is in the CAD stage as the lightest solution or I will get ali pulleys as U suggest - probably have to be custom made.

@ 3Faze: Basilisk's KE is probably down around 700 to 750 Joules. I am trying to get the EV to spin up to 3000 RPM which will give 2,900 Joules

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:25 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Damn U Glen!

Now I HAVE to put the Mag into Basilisk - I did some more designing and with 18V for the Mag, more plastic parts and a slightly longer chassis, everything fits and gets down to weight. Its going to be the least pushy bot ever, but who cares?

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:18 pm 
andrew

Whats this i hear.
Is nick changin basilisk so it is a mag spinner then is he. If so i am scared stupid of it and if u r substituting the shorty mag for the featherweight then for your lightweight u can get a bigger mag motor which is better. Look at 2EZ and other wonders.

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:34 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

It looks that way Shocked Before you all shake your heads and say its too much power, let me reassure you that the KE is not increased much as the Mag doesnt spin so fast on 18V and there is a 2:1 gearbox reduction - I don't expect more than 2000 RPM, tops. Basilisk still has the same vulnerabilities - El Bravo can still flip it and a decent wedge will still give trouble. The main difference will be tons of extra torque so the blade won't stall so much and I can push out of situations like being propped against a wall.

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:23 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

shake our heads at the insanse power? nonsense there is still a potential 6v to be used on that mag! Razz

seeing as the thread is already decided on and derailed ill continue here.

just playing around in the CAD for my spinner and all the plans are drawn up. just encompases a 15x15mm box section A-frame on the front with a pair of bearings top and bottom clamped on with these clamping pillow blocks and the disc ill have to get lathed out of steel (expensive *cringe*) and have a little extra shaft welded on the bottom that will get pinned through the main running shaft.

going to get the motor tommorow and should get the pulleys on saturday so its coming together rather fast.

still trying to figure out what to do with the batteries though. the stick pack option is out so at the moment im thinking of buying the NIMHs off jeff cutting them up into 4x 12v packs and running the bot of a single 12v pack. or buying them and using 18v motors and run the thing off 24v.. worse come to worst ill just use a 12v SLA again.

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Limiting weapons! I agree with Georges comment of "Get Real People".

If your going to limit weapons, why not limit flippers to 50kg of lift, hammer bots to 50kg of force and limit rammers to 5km/h?? All redicule if you as me.

Also looking along this convo about spinners and power, Annihilation runs 1:1 directly from the motor shaft and the biggest problem we had all weekend beside radio problems and the blades jamming was the link coming loose! We are about to do an post mortum on the Annihilation weapon motor and find out if our suspisions are true about it running on half power.

Nick! Go the Mini Mag! You know you want to! The Spin Doctors to pair up again for the next Tag Team Event hey Wink

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:56 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Sarge's original topic has gone 180 degrees Smile

The Spin Doctors will most definitely back and performing major surgery, the sooner the better! I figured that I have nearly enough parts to keep the original basilisk (the 'Lite' version) intact and build a new version as well. I wonder how a lightweight cluster bot would work?

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:16 pm