www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Fun class for N00b's Experienced Roboteer’s or anyone really

Author    Thread
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Fun class for N00b's Experienced Roboteer’s or anyone really

Fun class

One of the projects I am hoping to get afloat is the appliance/ Novelty bot / Exhibition class.
Hopefully one of the side effects of Moths Bot Bash series will be that Brett will give the PRC a higher priority and Overdrive which has been sitting up at Brett’s place built, wired and ready to go might eventually get one. Smile

Congratulations to Vincent for being the first bot to be controlled by one.
The Mackintosh Bot is under construction and if the controller is available I am sure it won’t take long to finish Hint Hint Brett. Wink
In the spirit of” Enlightened Self Interest” EE Dock Smith My motives are fun variety crowd pleaser filler for public events so we don’t end up compromising our fighting bots chances.
At Robowars 1 & 2 and the recent Rye event the Rotwang bots ended up doing lots of fillers, at Rye Fragmentor missed the main comp because Mat killed the weapon relays entertaining the crowd. Sad

Geoff, Andrew and I talked over various Ideas for an entry level class at the annihilator last year and there were posts somewhere, Just to kick it off as far as I am concerned Moth is having a go at floating a version of the Rex class, Brett made provision for that in the early days when the magazine was first coming out but it didn’t take off , Times have changed and with 2 venues in Vic and a healthy comp maybe the time is right for it to catch on big I hope it does.

The appliance bot class is a non combat class with contests like soccer, tug of war, sumo etc the bot has to be made to look like something eg Vacuum cleaner, Computer, Giant dog robots probably qualify too.

The build components are probably not that important, I am waiting for the PRC but any method of control as long as it has effective fail safes is fine with me .

Last edited by Rotwang on Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:11 am 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

we in nsw did discussed this late last year after we had a soccer match at one of our rounds which turned out to be a lot of fun and havent expanded on it since ,but it is a good idea and its an aspect of building bots for other than carnage events Very Happy
the only thing that did concern us was that with 7 odd rounds per year with battling events when would we all find time for other type contests .....but i guess as we all get more folks building ,some may choose to build non battling robots and opt for the power and manouverability type events ,

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:15 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

Question You guys are aware of sumo, soccer, robot car racing , etc are already running in Aust.?
It's often organised by Universities, robotics clubs, etc., etc.

I found most of those groups when trying to find robotic combat in Aust. mid-last year....

Post Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:02 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Yes I do know rc car racing, soccer etc exist I was not claming to have invented them. Smile

After talking things over with Brett, Daniel, Ben and Moth I am in a position to build and encourage others to build whatever odd Robot project they feel like within reasonable limits.
The Junkyard and Sidetracked events require a nice tight show to keep the paying spectators entertained.
This means plenty of time slots for grudge matches and testing and plenty of time for the novelty bots to strut their stuff.

The bottom line is that you don’t always have to build to a set of rules, build something cool and they will be thrilled to have it doing its party trick in there arena. Very Happy

Post Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:39 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Rather than clutter other threads up I thought it best to revive this one.

To fill in gaps in the event there will of course be grudge matches and there will be things to smash.

There is also Exhibition class that is really whatever you wont to do within limits like whether or not we can have flamethrowers.

It can be the 2 PC bots trying to play soccer, David’ s True Walker doing its thing or NMO’s Ghetto blaster and laundry basket doing a sumo.

If George is willing a tug of war with Pod, see how many wheeled bots he can drag off at once.

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:49 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

I was going through the old threads and found this.
I still like the idea of it,robot events that dont involve smashing.

Post Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:18 am 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

how about robot racing, out on the street? hehe

Post Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:07 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I can still remember the guys getting pulled over while racing EVs out on the street - funniest thing ever! Laughing

Post Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:17 pm