www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

2005 Victorian Season - Round 2 - 7th May Event
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I got the player working great vids and exelant cordination with the sound and music ..well done Brett

Post Wed May 11, 2005 1:29 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I çan't see why IG won over Ballistic. Can someone enlighten me?

Post Fri May 13, 2005 12:33 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I havent got the judging sheets, Rick has them at the moment, but I believe it was the damage points that swung the decision (it was close).

Ballistic did no damage to I.G. apart from flipping him (which obviously didnt bother the new Mk II Wink), but IG put a number of cuts and gouges into Ballistic and at one point a piece flew off it.

Rick should be able to enlighten us, but thats what I heard at the event..

Post Fri May 13, 2005 3:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
and at one point a piece flew off it.

At first thats what I thought too but after having looked at it a few times it looks like it was just a cable tie but from IG that went flying.

Post Fri May 13, 2005 4:22 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

thats possible, there were a few occasions where IG went out with two cable ties holding the lid down and came back in with only 1 Smile

Until we hear the official word from the judging sheets..

IMO the driving and agression looked about equal, Ballistic got 1 complete flip and a couple of small lifts in (although IG wasnt bothered by them), I.G. did more damage with some really good spin hits and a couple of good saw cuts in on Ballistics armour and flipping arm, but also got wedged a few times into the wall..

It would have been a tough one to call for the judges thats for sure.. the quality of nearly all of the matches has certainly risen a long way with most of them being a real tussle.. I'm glad we had the full complement of 3 well briefed full-time judges, 2 with significant experience this time around..

Of course judging by video where you have the option of watching the replay over and over again is much easier than calling it live.. Wink

Post Fri May 13, 2005 4:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

Hay if you offered me a play back sure it would make it more easy Very Happy

Post Fri May 13, 2005 5:51 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Yes I felt sorry for the judges coping that IG Ballistic fight first off.
Just a couple of my thoughts on that match.
First off only flipping IG the once was part of Matts strategy.
Ballistic only has 2 red wheels and they are in easy reach of IG’s cheese shredder. Tipping IG over and leaving him that way for the duration of the match eliminates the danger of loosing one or both wheels.
The second part of the plan was to wedge him into the wall and bang him into the wall to impress the judges. Brett was driving far too well to fall for this a second time. It worked at the Junkyard.

One thing that worked against Ballistic was the piece of wire that picks up the radio signal got bent down under the flipper for a few seconds and mat almost totally lost control.
Fortunately for ballistic it popped out when he fired the flipper.
One factor that might be a bit debatable are a number of occasions where IG was spinning thwack bot style as it is carefully balanced to do and Ballistic drove in wedging it.
Wether the judges recognised Ballistic was making the aggressive move in those situations?

Damage wise Ballistic only coped a few cosmetic scratches; it’s probably getting hard to tell old damage from new.
I was very pleased at how much torque IG’s weapon had not stalling the saw. The only thing I really regret is that Matt didn’t keep his finger on the button when he had IG up in the air and hold him up a bit longer.
As I had some input into both the bots I was pleased to see they put on a good entertaining fight and I have no problem with the judge’s decision. Smile

Post Fri May 13, 2005 7:30 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

yes i also enjoyed it i love the hard fought ones the best ,and they are good entertainment for 3 mins ....instead of a robot in a hundred bits in 3 sec Wink Very Happy

Post Sat May 14, 2005 8:44 am 
the moth
Experienced Roboteer

The judges did a excellent job calling many tight matches at Sidetracked. Prior to the comp start, I held a judges meeting where the criteria was discussed and the judges made decisions based on that meeting . Many matches were won or lost on tight decisions and this is a indication of the aggression this round was fought with . A lot of bots (and their drivers) had improved dramatcally since round 1 .

Yes - it was the damage points that put I.G. over the line in a few matches at Round two . Unfourtunatly the active but non-damaging bots eg: Ballistic , Pinscher , Vincent etc are slighty disavantaged in the judging because they cannot score points in one of the four areas - the damage area . This obviously means that the drivers may have to work harder to win on points . It also means that when they win its also sweeter .

In Vincents fight against I.G. - we lost in a tight judges decision because of damage done to our wheels .Of course it is always easy to try to second guess the judges after you watch the video , But the video often only shows one veiw of the fight and the judges watch from three . Anyone wishing to voulenteer for next round will be greatfully appreciated.

It is great to see that the fights are becoming tight and causing the drivers to consider tactics against the other bots .

Post Sun May 15, 2005 1:11 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

How are the rest of the fights coming along?

Any chance of any other fights being posted?

Post Mon May 16, 2005 1:07 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Video #3 was just uploaded about 10 minutes ago.. Smile

Formido vs Battle Damage

http://video.robowars.org

I probably wont post them *all*, we'll leave them for a DVD, but I'll try get at least one video containging each entrants bot online.. at the moment I'm just going through the tapes in order of the battles. So depending on what order everyone fought in will determine when a video of your particular bot will appear..

I'm working on the Vincent vs Stainless Steel Rat video next.. Pinscher vs Vincent is next after that I think.. Wink

Post Mon May 16, 2005 1:59 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Cool, As I got the first round forfeit prob means that a pinscher fight will be last and u will have to fast forward the tape to get to it. If u are only putting up one fight any chance u could keep fast forwarding till the match against Ballistic.
grovel grovel, beg beg

Post Mon May 16, 2005 2:44 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

OK.. I'll see what I can do George..Wink

Shouldnt be long, since I'll try to avoid posting fights of Bots that have already had a clip posted, so I'll skip a lot of the fights.. they can all go on a DVD instead..

I might make a highlights net-clip after I've done with all the fights although they take incredible amounts of time for me to make given that I like to fidget about and get all the video and music time-synced. Rolling Eyes

Stay Tuned..

Post Mon May 16, 2005 2:59 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Video #4 - Vincent vs The Stainless Steel Rat is now online.

http://video.robowars.org

Pinscher is coming next George. Smile

Post Mon May 16, 2005 11:14 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

DvD would be great takes me hours to down load those vids Very Happy

Post Mon May 16, 2005 11:19 pm