Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Author    Thread
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

spose i should get off my ass and sit down and make the blog for today
urgh lol
aint gonna be easy

still though found the weakness
9v battery clips need tape when the batteries themselves arent secured.

also in the lessons learnt column something i noticed for the builders of other bots, you have to "stress relieve" your connections when you are going up against spinners.
now i dont know the KE of nicks bar but when it hits a bot i wouldnt be suprised if for a very short time the innards of your bot wernt pulling 200G's
that 50 gram wire from your motor to speed controller whatever will now weigh 10Kg, this makes a mess of most plugs and isnt so crash hot for solder joints.

basically what you have to do is where you have your wires coming into a plug/join you have to mechanically hold the wire behind the plug and use that to take the load.

our ring terminals seemed to work pretty well in that regard especially as more than once when we took it out of the ring some of the nuts had actually come undone slightly (which is why ring terminals kick soo much ass in my book lol, ok so they are a pain in the ass to work with in this high change environment but they sure are rugged) but it would have been better if we could have stress relieved them (lesson for Plan-C lol)

Also for the last half of our fights it seemed that we had lost forwad drive speed, the IBC/servo travel needs some tweaking, we could spin at full speed but full forward stick did basically bugger all. kinda neutered our, "suck basilisk into hitting the wall / sombody elses bot then attack him" plan.

on a good note though, perfect radio all day, no jitters, no nothing smooth controll from start to finish, all on one set of 9'v batteries so i'm well pleased with that. still might take that LED off though, it pulls about 1/3rd of the remaining current draw of the IBC.

bits it seems people want
FET switches, esp for basilisk lol. a fet switch for that would be smaller and lighter than that hugeass thing you had in there lol.

Temperature monitors, i'm just "spitballing" here but some kind of light/series of lights you can put on your bot to tell you when your motor/batteries are between "well done" or "carbonising as you watch"
adjustable trigger points, 2 levels of warning per sensor "hot" and "overtemp" say? should be fairly cheap, 2 sensor setup ~ $20-$25 possibly less with a source of high brightness cheap LED's
anybody interested?

OptoIsolation of the IBC
with us it seemed to *really* help with radio noise problems, doubled radio range even with the switchmode PSU in the IBC. Basically you plug the servo leads from the IBC into it and then it plugs into your Rx unit (which must run off batteries,(note you need the BEC of the IBC *on* to power its half of the opto)) $25 should cover that pretty easily

ToDo on Plan-B, grind out the delaminations and re-glass the damaged sections, all pretty straight forwad there, little more difficult on the front top where basilisk had a bit of a gentle gnawing, (if we bother fixing that part back to full thickness that is, its not structural out there and its just a bit of a pain to fill the corner back up.)
mount the battery eliminator eliminator batteries more securly than jamming them in behind the motor.
mount the opto isolators perhaps.

mmm well that looks like a blog post to me lol

Last edited by Valen on Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

Shit, I forgot you guys had an event today Very Happy No wonder everyone was offline.

Sounds mad! BTW how high did Basilisk Mag jump? If it's under 1M I believe Annihilation still hold the record then. I'll get Andrew to confirm the rough high when Annihilation spat a tooth off at nearly 400Km/H doing the biggest aerial assualt in the shed. Cool

Oh, and for those who have already heard about this "accident" we are still yet to find that missing tooth Confused

VIDEOS VIDEOS!

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:12 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

mmm i think basilisk definatly wins tha aerobatics award.
tripple death spiral sumasult with pike in the tuck position.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

So, who fought who?
From reading some posts it sounds like Basalisk and Plan B were in the final and Sorry lost out in the first round, so why isn't Basalisk not in the top 4 and why's Sorry 2nd?
Jeez, you lot are confussing.
And what does Robort look like?

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Basilisk and Plan B fought first round, Basilisk won. Next round Basilisk fought Robort and lost then Robort fought Sorry in the final and won.

Here is a pic of the fight board to show the other fights i missed. http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=196

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:35 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

amen with that stress relieving jake. in the rumble the last hit by basilisk seemingly made a wire whip around and half turn the power switch off Embarassed

im just putting up some pictures in my personal album now for anyone who wants a look at some of cobra and el bravos damage. and if any one has any webspace, ive got videos of singularity chasing cars up and down the street!

well IIRC the fights went like this:

Wokatronix vs Sorry: wokatronix went great for a 5kg robot moving and flailing. sorry couldnt really get a grip on the wok and had pretty bad radio but pushed the wok around a bit and in the end i think wokatronix wheel fell off.

Basilisk vs Plan b Short and sweet, both spinup, basilisk hits plan b on the side and plan b stops moving, sweet Very Happy

Cobra vs El bravo ive been waiting for this for a long time! starts off with cobra going into a spin and pounding in those stainless bowls followed by a wheel ejection by el bravo! after a courtesy flip or two cobra decided to stop working upside down 7 seconds till the end! lucky..

Singularity vs Robort good match, singularity got some massive rams and pushes but flipped itself over robort and robort basically took it for the rest of the match after the arm got jammed in the wheel gap.

in the loosers side it went

Wokatronix vs El bravo once more short, el bravo flipped wokatronix once, tried to get it back over but the wok was to tricky to get hold of Razz so el bravo won.

Singularity vs Plan B started off good but the powerpole in singularity kept loosing connection and plan b took a big bite out of the front, shattering its own fan in the process Very Happy

then
El bravo vs Plan B best match of the day i think. basically el bravo had refbots wonky radio after jeff took a dive over the arena wall smashing the transmitter Shocked Razz and could barely move so plan b succinctly took it apart, the armour, the wheels and about everything else was broken by the end.

and the winners side

Cobra vs Sorry welch forgot to charge the tx batteries before he gave the radio to me, it went flat about 20 seconds into the fight. DAMN

Basilisk vs Robort well who honestly could have predicted the outcome of this? as lindsay mentioned before basilisk ripped up some pieces early on but rode up the wedge and flipped on its back! after some time spinning mindlessly on its back robort tried to pin it on the wall but alas this actually flipped it back over! more ripping ensued but i think robort ended up crushing basilisk quite literally hehe.

and the final

Sorry vs Robort very close. alot of pushing and some sawing but mainly a ramming/pushing fight. to close for me to call, thank god my vote didnt count anyway heh.

and for 3rd place

Cobra vs Basilisk err shit. i was so damn scared, even more so that nick put the low bar on, thank god as soon as i got close to him he decided to launch in the air and flip on its back!! gee thanks nick Very Happy !

THE MIGHTY RUMBLE

well the entrants where
*singularity
*sorry
*plan b
*basilisk
*robort
*cobra

singularity took a big hit somewhere at the start and had the powerpole die again so he stayed parked in the corner, singularity and plan b just attacked whoever was closest and really gave out a heap to sorry and robort. somewhere in there basilisk was going after robort with one wheel so i decided i needed a little more character on the bot and went for the hit Shocked (lucky the blade just helicoptered over the top!). in the end i think only plan b, basilisk and cobra where moving. plan b and basilisk where just hovering in the middle of the arena so sorry went in for a bit, but after having half the front torn off by basilisk quickly retreated. so i decided to get some and went ass first into basilisk promptly having the castor vapourised and robot turned off. doh.

NFI who won. split for basilisk and plan b???

there was a grudge between wokatronix and robort at the end i think.

aurora got some testing for once, bowling an old disco ball at it, and having singularity drive backwards into it snapping of the motor shaft - sweet Very Happy

singularity also got a bit of public publicity chasing people and cars up and down the street lol i think i counted 5 "what the f**k is that* stares.

cant wait for the next one! or the videos for that matter!

thanks to jeff for the event, and congratulations to robort for not dying! champion bot you guys made first time!

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:36 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

http://robowars.org/forum/album_personal.php?user_id=14

the damage on el bravo by plan b
the damage on cobra by basilisk

very scary.

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:50 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:

El bravo vs Plan B best match of the day i think. basically el bravo had refbots wonky radio after jeff took a dive over the arena wall smashing the transmitter Shocked Razz and could barely move so plan b succinctly took it apart, the armour, the wheels and about everything else was broken by the end.

Are you saying that Plan B kept attacking a robot that was imobile?

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:59 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yes

why - because jeff told him to keep going! even after 3 minutes!! now thats ballsy

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:04 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks, Glen.

El Bravo was one of my favourite bots. What is Jeff going to do repair or rebuild?

Videos please.

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:08 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

np,

i think hes planning a rebuild, bit more flip and a working drive hehe

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:15 am 
andrew

Yeah i kept saying to forfit as el b was getting killed but jeff kept smiling and laughing and trying to beat him. I think he wanted to rebuild it anyway's.

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:31 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

EL B was mobile to the buzzer

somehow

it shouldnt have been
really

i felt sorry for the poor thing
evil bad man jeff, i'm sure he beats it when nobody is looking
after i took most of one wheel off i switched the wepon off and was going to drive over to the door but he came over and tried to attack me! (we got flipped up twice i think so it wasnt that one sided (much))

so yeah, had to rectify that but jeff kept the other wheel away from me and he still semed to have decent power/sliding from the remains of his left hand wheel. at that stage of the day we were having some controll oddness of our own (i think with the optos and all the general screwing around an the like we had lost some "servo travel" and i didnt get a chance to twiddle the settings to bring it back and get full speed forward drive back so instead of our usual "dead run" top speed we had a "moderate walk" :-<) so EL B's top speed was such that i couldnt get around him before he could turn away, made the battle that much more spectacular i think lol.

jeff if you want a hand reparing/rebuilding EL B i'd be honored to help ;->

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:49 am 
Waddy the phoenix

wow i realy did miss it... Crying or Very sad Exclamation Confused Sad meh by the sounds of it great day hay jeff f u catch any cars? how bout mowing over old ladys? Laughing Laughing Very Happy Very Happy

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:10 pm 
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

I was surprised to see El b still in second place points wise after the days trashing!, Still time to conquer the planet!

A well deserved trashing as well after the lame performance, My fault completely for not getting upgrades done in time for rigorous testing and getting the bugs out,,, Let that be a lesson to you!

So here`s my excuses! Embarassed
I hadn`t perfected securing the wheels to the grinder gears, so if you suspect your wheels may fall off,,, they will for sure!
I wasn`t used to the new drill trigger controlers either so I had trouble steering even before nasty Mr Rose bashed the wheel and made it come loose.

Then, later, Evil Glen Rose put a trip wire across the garage door and I went for 6! Smashing the radio on the floor and it seems, I feel I may have cracked a rib!

With Jeff. F`s suggestion, I put the tx xts in Refbots radio and we were ready to go, only this caused the controls to turn upside down and sideways but I was too badly injured to repair it (see lazy) so I thought I could manage;;;; wrong, you cannot successfully avoid spinning blades from hell if you can`t tell wich way your`e going! I begged them to stop! but they kept attacking me, even after time ran out!

A great day of destruction, my favorite match being Bassilisk vs Robort and congratulations to Prong and Bort for taking home the days trophy with their first attemp!,,, and some of the above may not be quite true,,,, Confused

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:30 am