www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Mayayong 7
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Mayayong 7

Too much robot mayhem is not enough! Very Happy It seems that we "lost" the next date along with the old site, so if anyone can repost, that would be great or we can pick a fresh time. I vote for soon, but not TOO soon so I can fix up the spinner in Basilisk and get the original Minotaur back up.

Its going to seem rather quiet after the Annhilator so we should try to keep the momentum and add a few extra events, such as a demo soccer match or some one-off tag teams after the main comp. We proved we can get thru an interstate comp in a day, so let's go for it again!

Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:00 pm 
Karmond

This was the news posted on the ABBL website on the 9th of March.

quote:
Dates for the Marayong events

ROUND 1....28-29 FEB
ROUND 2....17-18 APRIL
ROUND 3....29-30 MAY
ROUND 4....3-4 JULY
ROUND 5....28-29 AUGUST
ROUND 6....25-26 SEPT [8 WEEK SPRING BREAK]
ROUND 7....20-21 NOV FINAL ROUND
DECEMBER.. christmas break of around 10 weeks.prep time for NSW titles
Current points score
*removed*

Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:29 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

August 28? I'm panicking already! More parts, more EV motors, more battle packs - and a little surprise I'm keeping to myself for now Twisted Evil

Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:53 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

thats only a month away! HELP ME JEBUS!!?!

well ive got more work than ive ever had before. 1 day after the event and the design is all worked out for cobra 3 thank god.

same frame (beaten back in as plan b has peeled a little bit of the frame back) and same layout but instead its going to have 2x 7.2v stick packs in the front on one side and a BMW fan motor (or series wound motor scoopy style in a grinder gearbox) powering a 2kg disc thing (just a ring gear with a bar welded into it) all belt drive with a box section front bolted on.

just a few things to do i guess..... at least its in the holidays.

get ready to face the king of bricks nick! (with extra spinny-ness)

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

its actually 7 weeks , nearly 2 months Very Happy
well after the weekend SORRY is perfect on the inside but not real good on the outside ........i will probably finish the season as a pushbot .cant see the saw doing much .and stuckout the front it is just going to be a target ..
im trying to come up with a quick armour changing system, gonna need it in the future ......either that or turn up with 5 spare bodies .cant see that as an option though Wink

ps there are a few shots of the weekend on the link below .cheers chris

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:55 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

cool well better get workin on tse's new weopon and on TA

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:16 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

@ Chris, The problem is Sorry's hight - its such an easy target with all those corners. Could those guys downstairs roll an aluminium or stainless steel cyclinder to get rid of the corners? The other thing would be to turn the saw into an undercutter like IG. I never faced IG but its likely my wheels would have been shredded in short order.

Another thing; that tread plate ali you used for armour seems too soft to be anything other than 5005 grade. Use your contacts to get some 2024 grade ali and we will all bounce off your armor. Don't take it the wrong way, I'm not sniping & I'd like you to keep the form that has you at position 1 or 2 in the point score.

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:42 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Your opinions please:

I came up with an interesting twist on Basilisk's design for Marayong 7 but I am not sure it will be viewed as 'fair'. I figure I can expand the chassis just a bit and make the bot multi-purpose. When facing Cobra 3 or Plan B, I will take out the spinner and bolt in two extra drill motors with fatter wheels to make a brick /wedge bot that inverts. When facing Sorry or Elbravo, I lose the extra wheels and add the spinner.

In both set-ups the weight is 12Kg or less and more than half the parts stay the same. What do you think - an allowable evolution or overly smart and outside the rules?

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:24 am 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

under what rules? and I don't know if more drive would coun't as a wepion system if it's under rules that allows interchangble wepions. I can see a debate waiting to happen Very Happy

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:28 am 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

I dont see any real problem with it, theres nothing that says the attachment must contain an active weapon. I think that rule is there mainly to stop people detaching their weapon in favour of heavy armour plate, or a keep away stick, which are both purely defensive. Added motive power under the control of a good driver would make for a more interesting battle, and isnt that the reason the rule is there, to keep battles interesting (kind of like the net rule)?
BTW, which ruleset are we following now?

ffej.net

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

NFI about the rule set Smile I just wanted to gauge the personal feelings of the other builders and keep in the spirit of the sport rather than any particular rule. I think we had a rule about keeping a bot "substantially the same" between events and I think I do that here as the whole frame, armour, electronics, stays the same - 2 motors & wheels get swapped for 1 weapon motor.

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:48 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

@ nick .what you said about SORRY is true but as jake pointed out on sun ..i got hit by 2 powerful spinners and i broke them both and i won .so as he said the armour on SORRY did its job ..sorry was still running and it broke both of the opponents..so im pretty happy ......
about the weapon thing , if your bot starts with a weapon and looses a weapon thats ok .. its only when a bot has done a couple of rounds with no weapon and then turns up with a flipper or spinning bar at the next round ......that is increasing damage potential .and is what we didnt want to happen Very Happy
..you may have to leave the bar off for SORRY too.....will be a lot different round 7 Wink

Last edited by chrisjon65 on Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:18 pm 
andrew

Well theres something about a spinner that just makes me want to take it on. I say if your bot isnt tough enough for the spinners then build them stronger. thats why scrap is a brick round the sides and wedge but only has thin top armour and i can change stuff for the competitor.

I say bring on the bar and bring it on at 24 volts. woo.

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:21 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

tough words andrew .i remember sorry was about to cut up scrap once, and the proverbial towel was thrown into the arena Wink Very Happy .so until you see your bot spread all over the arena its hard to judge how you will trully react......ok Wink

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:30 pm 
andrew

well thats because A) i was dead because of a blown gearbox and B) u were getting really close to tearing out my aerial, besdies that all u could get were my wooden wheels which i didnt give a damn about. I am not saying that spinners r easy to beat or anything. I am just saying that i dont mind facing them and that its more fun and a challenge as to figure out new ways to counteract the design. Thats the only way i beat ahnialation is because of my wedge i think which is scratched to crap because of it and because of pure luck or ahnialations link falling out. If it stayed in there could have been some severe wedge tearing off or even the saw blade getting mangled (which iam still thankful didnt happen).

And to completely disagree with your comments above. If a spinner disables me so i have to tap out, which u didnt as i was crippled coming into the match as to what happened earler then all props to him but i only threw the towl in to save possibly getting a new reciveer and because u were beating up on a dead robot anyway's.

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:09 pm