Yes, Barrels, Pallets, and terrain are great. Lots of fun
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 23

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Arena Obstacles

At the recent RoboWars event at The Outer Limits, we had a number of obstacles placed in the Arena such as Barrels, a Wooden Pallet and a few bits and pieces.

I think these added a lot of entertaining possibilities and some interesting strategic and driving challenges to the fights. Knocking the stacked barrels on top of your opponents, dodging behind them, pushing them into each other and so on. They could be tossed about, chewed up (especially the wooden bits) and were great for admistering the coup de grace to an immobilisied opponent

They were brightly painted and had hazard tape and things applied which also helped add to the Robot Wars arena look and feel.

I'd like to know what the other competitors and drivers think of them, since we are seriously considering adding them in as a permanent feature to future events. I can already anticipate a few objections that some people might bring up against them, but I'd like to hear some opinions and see what the majority think.

Who thought they were fun, who hated them ? What would you like/not like to see in future ?

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:49 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Abregado

Well from what ive seen of the local robotic talent, i think that ramps and inclines of any form are out of the question. But i think our blue barrels worked well enough, and can be set aside if both drivers dont like the idea.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:06 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Interesting... I must say that the arena obstical of reffbot brought out some interesting tactics (ie.TSNG...) Surprised
I think a pit's a MUST at marayong. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:31 am 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Barrels yes and maby to bricks.

As for pits i dont like the idea of the fight being over a one secoind due to the better pushy bot dumping the other bot in there as it is much better being able to slam peeps into the walls and more actual fighting making for a full match and more to watch.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:43 pm 
Abregado

Bricks is an interesting idea.. though im sure there is a lot of risks with powerful flippers and small heavy objects. Haha i can just see the headline now..

A "removable" pit would be fairly easy to put in the Junkyard, but without a huge space around it, it would cause too much problems. The areas they use in American competition are huge affairs.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:18 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Barrel type things are great, opens up some more stratergies. Probubly nothing that would give you much of an advantage but more from a viewers entertainment perspective. Charging through barrels on Reboot like they were skittles and I a bowling ball was fun Very Happy. The fight where Ballistic threw up the 44 gallon drum a definate highlight also.

I arent sure what you mean by terrain, I chose that one although I think Ramps or whatever may cause problems.

I don't like the hazards on the level that the overseas have taken them, because were not there to fight the arena!

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:49 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

I remember at the first robowars the fight I had with IG and remember that when I pushed it into a stack of tyres, the movement of the tyre stack gave u a sence of the power.
Same as the rumble at the Neihbours set. When tyres move from impact u get a better feel of how much power the robots have.

Just stating the obvious in that old car tyres are an option.
They can get boring but somthing to consider
Maybe hang one off the ceiling like a pendulum to be used somehow or just a stack in one corner

On another note I am a fan of ramps as all of my robots can go up ramps and I want to do An Evil Knievel on your robot so can we just have one ramp at least somewhere.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:51 pm 
Matt

Yeah go the barrels & drums thay make it alot more fun, gives ya something to beat up on when the other robots upside down too Smile

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:48 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

Is this to be an indoor version of what I suggested in the 'rules, safety & admin' section for outdoor combat???
(By the way - sorry Spockie if I posted that in the wrong place, I thought discussion would be along the lines of the safety and appropiate rules required to have such fights...)

Love the pit idea - given the option for people to be able to perform a TKO on their opponent, I believe will solve alot of the judging problems/issues that have been discussed recently. Smile

Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:29 am 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

I love the idea of stuff in the arena and even ramps and stuff, pits on that other hand I don't like even though I got the type of bot that would love them Very Happy

Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:49 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

One thing to remember is that the Junk yard arena is huge! Shocked

Sidetracked feels like a fish bowl in comparison.
Can’t wait to see King pin get up to full speed there. Smile
Robots fighting there regularly will benefit from speed and straight line stability, I think I will give Frag a rest and use Rat next time.

So what I am getting at is that drums tyres ramps etc are probably a good thing at the Junk yard where theirs lots of room for them and it fits in with the theme but that doesn’t mean that they are the go for the nationals at Sidetracked.
I have always been of the opinion that we should keep the sport a legitament competition between the robots. The idea that a robot can loose by being beaten by the arena hazards does not appeal to me.

Yes it makes the Judges and the promoters jobs easier but that’s not that we are building and fighting for.
Kill saws Pulverisers pits and gas cookers dropped from the rafters might be alright for a staged display where the owners of the bots are paid to put on a show or even having your robot cremated in a barbecue by Tody and co.

Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:20 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Mm i wont go into any detailed explanation for my views Garry just said it word perfect on how i would have replied Very Happy a few light obstacles in a large arena would be fun but just a nuiance in a small combat space.

Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:00 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

In the House of Carnage arena, we have two main arena hazard, Marauder Very Happy and the arena wall(I always hit it) Very Happy

Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:16 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i know jeff wants a pit in the marayong arena, which i wouldnt mind (although jolt taking out all the floor support legs could be interesting Very Happy )

if that junkyard is massive, you guys should whack a house robot in there Smile

Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rob Team Rotwang

Daniel is serious about running heavy weights there Glen, so hes made it real big, although it still need soem adjustments before then, the door isnt quite big enough.

Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:38 pm