www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

How do you judge a robot fight?

Author    Thread
RunAmok

How do you judge a robot fight?

Sometimes it's easy -- one 'bot is a steaming pile at the end and the other hasn't a scratch. But what about the times when it's close?

What counts most: damage, control of the match, slick driving, unexpected strategy? How about they type of damge: does a hole in the armor count more or less than a ripped-off wheel?

Here in the USA, the main sanctioning body has some unusual ideas about how matches should be judged. I've set-up a web page with five scenarios -- can you make the right call according to the sanctioning body's guidelines?

Give it a try: http://www.open.org/joerger/criteria.html

Post Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:06 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

You have no idea how much this has been talked about! Try;
http://robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97
There's more some where...
Hope it helps!

note* cool site, but things in sydney are decided by some of the spectators (power to the people!) No damage,style or agression points.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:11 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Mark, I would tend to ask myself which robot seemed to be on top for the majority of the fight when both bots are mobile at the end. Guidelines should be there to help us and not to control us. We should use our common sense in judging fights IMO.

Post Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:52 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Scenario 1: I aggree with the RFL here, but not your opinion. If a robot damages itself the other robot shouldn't be awarded points for it simply because one robot wasn't built well enough. If the second robot still couldn't inflict any damage to an already damaged robot then it wasn't fighting well enough itself.

Scenario 2: I disagree all round here. Why is the RFL weighting Damage higher then Aggression? A flipper or a wedge don't cause much damage, no wonder there are some many spinners over there.
And a smoking robot that dosn't stop working should be treated the same as a pneumatic robot that blows its rams. It caused the damage to itself. Why give points to a robot that didn't cause the damge.

Scenario 3: I agree with you on this one. The flipper was in control. The rammer obversly wan't doing its job. When a flipper launches another robot into the air that counts as damage to my eyes as the audiance wants to see that sort of thing.

Scenario 4: A clear case of why you need to judge of control and style as well. I agree with you again.

Scenario 5: I disagree with the RFL also. Robot B clear fought better if it didn't get its internal damaged after the hole was inflicted. And loss of a weapon counts for more then loss of armour.

Yep, General Tilford got it right.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I personally don’t like the idea of judging damage differently if it is self inflicted rather than caused by an opponent.

How do you decide if Nick’s ev braking was the result of his poor design or contact with the other robot?

Do you argue that the fact that your weapon is un-serviceable at the end of each fight is just the result of your bad design and should not be held against you but the cosmetic dent you put in the other robot counts as damage and gives you the fight!

The fact that the hit that dented the other robot broke the weapon motor, the dent counts but the smashed ev doesn’t? Come on, just comparing the damage at the end of the fight works ok if you have aggression, control and style points as well.

That way if your weapon just malfunctions your opponent doesn’t pick up any sca points for a successful attack. Plan B deserver sca points for taking I.G’s angle grinder gear box off in addition to the damage points that were his due.

Weather the gear box just fell because the blue tack let go or it was knocked off if the end result was identical I would judge it the same damage wise.

If it was at the start or the end of the match would be covered by the sca points.

Any other way of doing it will result in arguments with the judges as to wether its self inflicted or not.

Having an active weapon generally improves your chances of getting a knock out and not having to face a judge’s decision the flip side of this is if your active weapon is buggy and lets the side down it works against you in a judge’s decision.
On the other hand building a brick bot and just surviving generally doesn’t give you a lot of style or damage points.

I think at the end of the day most of us could watch any given fight and agree on who won,
I probably lean towards a judging system that encourages builders towards interesting innovative entertaining robots, plenty of variety, a good rock paper scissors balance.

Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:38 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I personaly think all this damage, style and aggresion stuff should be droped.
The robots should be judged on Who Controlled The Match ! Thats it.

If you must have points then break the fight into 3 one minute blocks, divide 5 points between robots for each one minute block and then add for a total. Simple.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by kkeerroo:
I personaly think all this damage, style and aggresion stuff should be droped.
The robots should be judged on Who Controlled The Match ! Thats it.

If you must have points then break the fight into 3 one minute blocks, divide 5 points between robots for each one minute block and then add for a total. Simple.

That might explain why you banana benders use to put videos of your fights up on the net and ask people the vote for who won as you couldn’t work it out yourselves. Very Happy

Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:33 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
That might explain why you banana benders use to put videos of your fights up on the net and ask people the vote for who won as you couldn’t work it out yourselves.

No one complained about the decisions made Razz

Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:17 pm