RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Writer Wants To Meet Bot Makers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
supagenius

Will do.

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:07 pm 
Matt

an idea for the movie cxould be like haveing a Dr evil takeing over the world with a robot, havent seen that done befor :p-

Post Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:29 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

The old style Sonic the Hedgehog had Dr Robotinik trying to take over the world using robots Smile

Post Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:52 pm 
supagenius

The Incredibles had The Omnidroid. Not a bad name...

Post Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:08 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

and combat robots have elbravo sure it has its sparkly armor and all but under its glossy exteria lies a flame that is just waiting to take the world down...

*see appendix: El Bravo on fire*

Smile yeah the best time to get any information or ideas is on a larger scale so an event would be probably the perfect place but yeah i think the same as dumhead on this a rockudrama would be the way to go follow the career of bots for a year and make the movie your self it wouldent have to be high tech god knows we arnt

*see appendix: arena back wall*

most of it is polystyrine pvc pipe and a few other bits and pieces like pots and ice trays as much as jeff (giant robo) would try to convince you other wise Very Happy and if you look at robort its basically all chicken wire and tie wire and a few bits of tube steel here and there so we can be as low tech as possible some times unless your nick and then if there is air in his robots its either ment to be there for upgrades or he made a mistake Smile

but yeah a rockudrama would be cool as unless you tried to do something along the lines of some cartoons as listed:
pokemon
crush gear
beyblades
and other cartoons that seem to be senceless wastes of time

haveing it like its one person fighting the odds with a machine he has built against all others and who makes friends along the way and rivals the same i couldent realy see any way of makeing it all work well but then again i cant do that sort of thing well but i can think up fantasy storys fairly quick

Post Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:23 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Why do i get the feeling this story is going to be like Ani Skywalker building his pod racer from shat in the scrap yard and kicking Sabulba's uber expensive pod Confused

The real life comparison is Cobra VS Basilisk Wink

Only thing is Nick isn't nasty, he's nice....tooo nice Shocked

Post Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:55 pm 
andrew

yeah im working on him though to get the nasty side to surface every now and then though.

he jumps in wanting to build orbit from scratch and all and i gotta basically force him to let me do stuff every now and then Smile.

Being too nice is alright though. we need more people like it i reckon.

Post Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:08 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I agree with you on that Welch Cool Just as long as every nice guy isn't packin a Magmotor and a pair of Thin Gaps, we'll have a nice time Wink

EDIT:

OT: Did anyone get a picture of the guy in the audience at RoboWars 2 that looked like Nick Razz

Post Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:20 am 
Waddy the phoenix

yeah if i dident know any better i would have sworn it was him nick do you have a twin or something Very Happy

Post Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:57 pm 
supagenius

Well...

Threads - like robots - take on a life of their own.

Ani Skywalker's not doing shit, and kicking no-one's butt. Maybe if Uncle George (Lucas, not Romero) shows up with 200 million bucks U.S. and decides to throw it around. The idea I'm talking about - if it ever gets off the ground in terms of getting enough money to shoot it - is going to be cheap. Real cheap. And it won't be about Robot Wars per se. It will be about a character who's involved in robot wars, and whose passion is making robots, because it is one of those things in his life that actually means something and makes life meaningful.

So, while the amount of chat and feedback that this thread has generated has been far more than I thought, I think I should make a few things clear:

1) There's NO MONEY involved. By that, I don't mean for robot wars. I mean, there's NO MONEY. Anything I write, I'm doing because I want to do it, with little or no prospect of getting paid. So, this is really low budget - there's no Ari Skywalker, no robots taking over the world, no special effects, not even a Light Sabre. Nothing. It will be about a character who makes robots and his general life outside of that, and how the robot building and combat give his life meaning. That's it.

2) It won't be a documenatary or a rockumenatary. I make my living writing drama scripts. I'm not a doco film-maker. And buying music rights is hideously expensive - like hundreds of thoudands of dollars (U.S.)

3) By drama, I don't mean some high-falutin' bullshit where the hero conquers all. I mean small, everyday triumphs - we're not talking about defeating Grand Moff Tarkin, Darth Vader, Darth Moll/throwing the Ring into the Mountain of Doom or whatever. We're talking about the achievement of competing at Maryong. Or placing 4th when you didn't think you had a hope in hell. Or finding that just being there opens up some other possibility in your life. Small, personal, everyday things that make you feel that little bit better about life and yourself. Who knows? He - "He" being the main character - might even get a root out of it.

So. I'm not out to pour shit on anyone's ideas. But it all starts and ends with budget. We don't even have a budget. And the facts are that American movies are being made for $100 million U.S., and the usual Aussie flick gets made for $4 - 5 million Australian. And this flick - if it gets made- will be about 1/5 - 1/10th of that - assuming whe can even raise that.

Don't want to piss on anyone's ideas, but I thought I'd better make it clear what we're talking about. And what we're talking about is something which has a better than even chance of never getting made.

I'll be at Maryong on 26th Feb, and look forward to whoever is willing to talk to me.

Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:26 pm 
Windhammer

quote:
Originally posted by teamvertex:
Why do i get the feeling this story is going to be like Ani Skywalker building his pod racer from shat in the scrap yard and kicking Sabulba's uber expensive pod Confused

The real life comparison is Cobra VS Basilisk Wink

sorry to be a party pooper but i believe cobra and basilisk are two of the most expensive bots in the compertion.

as they say in the (how much does it cost thread)

Glen: so for everything so far thats abouts $1050 in cobra all up.

Nick: I added up all the parts for Basilisk and without listing all the 60 line items, the cost is around $1,130.

i hope i made my point Smile .

Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:51 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well here you go windy,

COBRA PRICE LIST:

* 3 channel FM mx-3 radio = $200
* IBC = $315
* new 2400 nicads = $80 for the two packs
* all the steel is free and all the lexan cost about $10.
* wheels where free
* nicks mounts where $20
* kk2 drills where $30 for the two

TOTAL - $655, where the hell did you get $1000+ from? and if you figure in my old slas knock off $30 from that price.

Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

EDIT - i see where that $1000 came from now, all the old bits where included as well Smile

Last edited by Glen on Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
supagenius

Thanks Windhammer. You made a point that I thought of about 10 seconds after my last post, which is: everyone who builds robots, esp. in Oz, seems to do it 'cos they're passionate about it and without much money. So, I'm not whinging about not getting paid or not having money to make a big movie. Again, I just want to be clear about the scale of story. Small, and no Rusell Crowes or Nicole K's, and which probably won't get made.

Checked out Robotcombat.com to see how much basic starter kits were; ~ $1200 USD for the dilletante model. From the tech chatter thread, everyone here's doing it themselves from the ground up. For what it's worth, whether Cobra costs $1,000 or Basilisk $1,300 you all have my admiration.

Hats off, pants off, etc.

Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:24 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

by rockumentary style I didn't mean doing it as an actual docco, but some of the styles used in things like "Spinal Tap" could work pretty well.

There are a lot of interesting and amusing characters involved in the robot building / fighting scene, and even if the main character is someone totally new I think you could get good mileage out of the actual people who are involved.
There are huge contrasts in the people, their style of building, their seriousness, their backgrounds, etc and sometimes it makes for some quite hilarious situations and conversations.

Hopefully you'll see what I mean at the next event Smile

There's some real ingenuity going on too. Some people are doing high tech stuff with proper machined and computer designed parts, and others are building competitive bots out of junk other people have chucked out.
While the most expensive bots are still far cheaper than some of the overseas ones there's still a huge range. You'll be quite surprised I think Smile

Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number