Like so...

$15 beetle... and very fun. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:49 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

If you have a good color printer with plenty of ink, you might want to print some of these out for new comers to look at.

http://photobucket.com/albums/c367/ayrshirerobotics/

Someone in the UK was kind enough to scan all the Rex's Robot Challenge pages from the Real Robots mag.

Maybe even build a few bots out of MDF, and show people how easy it really is. If you can get newcomers interested in building, even better!

Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:58 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

for the funbot class can i use anytype of wood or just mdf?
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:41 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

MDF/Chipboard I believe were the rules for funbots. If you build them out of MDF, you could ask you local Bunnings of you can do a small demo in an enclosed area to show people what your doing. They might also like the fact that people who take interest will probably pick up a few sheets of MDF, aluminium angle and various bot parts while they are there in Bunnings, which means more sales to them Wink

Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:33 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I dont think the MDF class is going to help encourage newcomers that much..

Really, its only advantage is you dont need steel working tools like welders and grinders.

You still need to make and mod drill motors, attach wheels reliably, come up with a beefy esc, radio, batteries, charger, wire it all up, sort out the radio reception and supression, etc. etc.

The RC-Car Beetle class is going to be a lot cheaper (<$100), and you could buy a car and be battling with it that afternoon.

Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:36 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Really, its only advantage is you dont need steel working tools like welders and grinders.

lol you make it sound like an insignificant thing, but if you dont have those two all your gunna have is an unbuilt robot. or failing that quite a shameful one.

i think its more of a cost thing too unless your especially good at scabbing free metal like myself, gary and the rest. $8 for a huge sheet is pretty good.

and for the more members thing al i just take the robots on the bus or train with me Razz its good for the conversation it is.

and wrt to cost im thinking of doing up 2 or 3 kit robots for to sell of on ebay just so i can not get a job for a little longer Razz i reckon the whole thing will be done for $170 in parts and $200-$250 for a bit of money for myself.

so that could be good for all those slack types like the guy up your road al. or the perfect present for the person that has everything Razz

Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
and wrt to cost im thinking of doing up 2 or 3 kit robots for to sell of on ebay just so i can not get a job for a little longer i reckon the whole thing will be done for $170 in parts and $200-$250 for a bit of money for myself.

I might be able to provide an cheap failsafing control solution for your kits. Failsafing relay controllers with some added funkiness. Wink

Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:55 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

well went hunting for chrismas presents today and came a crosss this little rc car for 13 bucks which im probly going to turn into a sozbot or simmiler couldn't find anything for a beatle weight but im still looking.
im gonna probly make a build report for it after i finish it *looks round* tonight.
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:57 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:

quote:

lol you make it sound like an insignificant thing, but if you dont have those two all your gunna have is an unbuilt robot

Not if you buy an RC car as I suggested.

The MDF class still requires tools, and still requires all the other hard-to-do bits that I listed.

Making the frame out of MDF removes *one* difficult part of building, but still leaves all the other 5 or 10 expensive difficult parts, so it IS an insignificant reduction in the difficulty as far as a newbie is concerned.

If I gave a newbie a pre-fab steel frame, and they still had to buy and mod drills, buy ESC's, batteries, wire it up correctly, buy chargers, make battery packs, make radios work reliably, keep wheels on etc etc, how much have you made it easier ? 10% maybe ? Still leaves 90% of the hard work to be done.

Thats why I suggested RC cars, they remove 95% of the hard work and let people battle quickly. If they like it, they can start to work on a bigger bot while still having fun with their little one.

Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:46 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

While I have no problem with Sydney running their MDF class, they have a lot of bots up there, [some very destructive], and a lot of people to help n00bs build bots so it makes sense for them.
Splitting the comp in a state with only a few in it [and none of them overly viscous] doesn’t seem like s good move to me. Confused

Just to clarify the fail safe sitch. Obviously what you do about failsafe in your comp is your own business.

If I have anything to do with building a Bot it will have failsafe.
I do not wont a sitch where a Bot shoots out someone’s drive way and knocked someone over, causes a car crash etc and I get the blame for not taking due care.

They are a good idea in my opinion apart from that. Smile

Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:09 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I think that Brett's modified RC car class of robot combat is a great idea. Nothing attracts interest more than success. It would be relatively simple to put a wedge or ramming spike on a cheap RC car and begin playing straight away.

The ability to play without an expensive arena is a bonus.

Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:24 pm 
Windhammer

Howdy

Long time no post in here!
Me and Alex are going to have our first battle in ages this friday Smile i have been going around putting a flyer in peoples letterboxs spreading the word about Bot fighting and i hope to get a couple of people interested and on the forum. Im also buying a complete robot for my friend to drive around to make it more interesting than just me and Al battling agianst each other all the time. I was hoping that if anyone had a retired robot shell that they could please donate it to us incase a newbie needs a helping hand. I would of course pay for postage and extra materials if nessary. Smile

Cheers
Doug

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:37 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Good on you. Have fun and play safe. Good luck.

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:06 pm 
Windhammer

Thanks mate!
Well i have one more person interested, he should be joining the forum soon. Smile

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:39 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

well i might have a driver also interested but i dont have a bot for them school, job and omg a social life (shock horror) seem to take up most of my time and have slowed down the production of my own one let alone allow me to build a new one.

if i did it would probly be something like a ram bot or a thwack bot but i would then have the problem of building it pretty much on my own with limited funds from the driver (well i better get some if he wants to drive it)

i have a few ideas but any ideas or experamental bot you guys have in mind ill be willing to try as im already partly frazzeled due to school

ohh on a side note: hmmmm my driver is not what you would call the "norm"

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:24 pm