www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

WA robo comp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
Windhammer

i have to many videos... just no were to host them..... (hint)

Post Tue May 17, 2005 8:26 pm 
Windhammer

oh by the way, can us west aussies get on the ranking thingo or do we have to have a proper compertions and all that jazz?

Post Tue May 17, 2005 8:42 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Re: VideosHow many, and How Big are they ?

If you can get them across to me (CD, DVD) and they're reasonable quality, I'll put them on the video.robowars.org server.

Re: The Rankings, ask the Kero bros.

I cant see a problem for a seperate WA state-ranking page,

But as far as the "national" rankings table goes, I think there should be some minimum criteria as to what qualifies as a "proper" event - ie - a "win" at a casual "event" consisting of 3 or 4 Robots should not count towards a national ranking in my opinion.

Otherwise we might have to start holding more fights in my carport to get the number of fights up there.. Wink

Post Tue May 17, 2005 8:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Windhammer

i have 2 full fights 7mb and 9mb and there average quality and i have about 12 clips ranging from 500kb to 3mb.

i think ill wait until we have more videos and then ill send them all across to you and you can choose the best?

Post Tue May 17, 2005 8:51 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I'll have to see the video's of the fights first before seeing if they were the same as Metal Mayhem 1 or Marayong 1. I don't count any park fights actually, only those fights that occured in arenas. Lay a heap of rail way sleepers on the ground next time, that'll be an arena.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Wed May 18, 2005 7:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Windhammer

lol fair enough, were just fighting in a carport so that wouldnt count as a arena.

Post Wed May 18, 2005 5:47 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

any more people out there in wa drop us a line and we'll try and organize something to make it official. hope fuly i'll have fixed that damn motor(draws way too much currant)
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Fri May 20, 2005 12:07 am 
Windhammer

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=912

well me and alex fought agian yesterday, not as many problems this time.
basically the fights are really one sided, i actally got dagonair over the areana wall yesterday (which isnt very high).

theres an action shot above.

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:07 am 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

spell the name right next time please, any way i found out i've almost fried the resisters to a crisp so that explanes the lack of power during fights
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:56 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

Ok looking around at the amount of wa people dropping in and out due to lack of action here i have had to design more that one bot and *sob* have them compete against each other. i know a bloke down the road who'll be willing to drive one(hey prebuilt robot woudn't you)
Windhammer seems to have dropped out of the forum and everyone else seems to bugger off just as quickly. im gonna need some tips on how to organise an event and make it run sorta smoothly. i should have my robot armed and ready in a month or so if i can get all the parts.

Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:00 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Maybe we can chip in over here and send a simple bot over to you; I know what it’s like watching your own bots beat them selves up.
If the PRC ever gets sorted to the point where it is usable that would be one way to do it. I am not feeling generous to the point of giving an IBC away.
From our point of view we can’t be involved with a bot that doesn’t have an effective failsafe.

Do you have an extra radio?

Any preference, something simple like a brick, wedge or horizontal thwack?

Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:24 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I'm prepared to donate one or two PicAXE relay controllers for weapons after RoboWars. Only cost me bout $20 each to make, so no hardship for me to donate a few Razz

Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:30 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

a mate down the rode has a 6 channel but isn't willing to make a bot for his self and im going to buy failsafes for my robots so no worrys there.

a simple bot would be FAN-F$%KEN-TASTIC but ill probly use it as a last resort if i have no money for a while ill finish mine and then build my other one for "exhibition" purposes..

TDT i gotta give you something for em hows $20 bucks sound for both of em (all i got in the robot funds box Crying or Very sad )

Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:22 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I'm working on getting some boards made up. Will let you know how I go with them. No money needed, just pick up some 30amp SPDT relays from Dick Smith, that's where most of the costs come from in these boards.

Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:08 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Maybe try starting smaller.. so people can get some instant gratification..

A decent featherwight is hard to do for less than $500 by the time you get ESC, Radio, Batteries, charger, and then most peoples wheels fall off, they dont understand the wiring, smoke happens, and they get discouraged.

Pick a weight limit that allows people to grab an R/C Car from K-Mart or Tandy and stick some wedges and a bit of armour on. They can run on stock AA batteres without requiring people to invest in/learn about battery pack care and feeding. They can super-glue things back together.

If you can rustle up some thick clear plastic garden sheeting and hang it across the front of someones garage or carport, you could probably allow low energy spinning weapons. Not optically wonderful, but if its hanging loose it should stop small fragments from getting anyone in the eye.. Isnt that how Marayong started out ?

Pick a date, print up some simple B&W flyers and hang around the R/C car sections at Dick Smith, K-Mart or somewhere similair and when the staff arent looking, hand one to the 10-20yo's who are checking out the RC cars. Try to make sure there are at least 2 or 3 rc-car/bots confirmed to come along so they can see some action.

Its hard to get the ball rolling I know, you probably need to ignore what we're up to over here for the moment and get a few battles happening, even if they're little ones. Try to make it easy for newcomers, so they can have some fun in a few weeks instead of 6 months from now. Just after christmas is probably a good time, since there will be lots of kids with new R/C cars looking for fun..

Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger