www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

WA robo comp
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

WA robo comp

unofficaly (means there is no money only glory to win) i want to organize a comp everyone is welcome i want to make a list of who could come,what time ,place things like that for those interested put you details down and robots that are going to be there. also i need a free spot to host it any tip would be great.

@ brett are the rule the same as on the web site as for over east? i would like to keep it the same over here. if it is different pm me the details also could you pm the scoring system to me.

someone has to organize the wa effort in the comps and i thought i might get the ball rolling.

(Talk about biteing off more than i can chew Very Happy )
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:25 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Thats a good attitude to have Al.. Smile

Even if its a few guys getting together in your back yard with some modified RC cars, if you keep it up and put sustained enthusiasm into it, it will grow. but it has to start somewhere.

Just throw some snags on the BBQ, put some Robot Wars videos on and invite people over to your place for an afternoon.. you probably wont get too many to start with, but keep doing it and build something yourself to show the other people and they will join in..

It wasnt so long ago, that there were about 3 actual robot builders in the whole country who each thought they were the only ones.. now we would have to be over 50 and still growing..

The RoboWars rules are just an adapation of the international standard RFL Rules (www.botleague.com) - the FRA in the UK uses them as well.. You adapt the rules to suit your competition / arena / budget, but leave as many of them standard as you can. You are welcome to use the modified RoboWars rules if you like them.

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:39 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
the FRA in the UK uses them as well..

The FRA claim to have modified the Mentorn rules from RobotWars. They have a list of the rules they have modified from the Mentorn ruleset on their rules page http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/rules.htm. Is there any particular reason you think that they are not telling the truth?

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:33 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The RFL Rules are here
http://www.botleague.com/pdf/RFLTechRegs09.pdf

the FRA rules are here
http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/documents/buildrules.pdf

The RFL rules were released a long time before the FRA rules were published.. have a look at them both and tell me the FRA rules *weren't* taken from the RFL ones.

I have no idea why they would want to deny it. Some silly political motivation maybe ?

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

yes very damn close probable be using the RFL rules at first.

any how to all wa bot builder you mission if you chose to accept to is to spread the word around and get as many wa people to log onto this site.(i know i'll be trying my hardest)

as before if your intersted in a comp pm me your details or leave you details here.
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:25 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well i think thats how victoria started out with a little meeting IIRC wasnt it brett? i know thats where nsw started out.

and ill be over in perth at the end of this year so hopefully youll all have a little backyard competition going by then Smile

edit - forgot to say good luck too

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:55 pm 
Windhammer

well of course im there. i suggest we go down to our school basketball courts.

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:31 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

well if you plan on using a place like that be warned you may be chased off which aint good for the sport so you will need permission also i wouldent have any spinning weopons if you plan to do that which wont get mycg attention however if you get some of that plastic sheet and throw that over the cyclone fencing of basketball courts usually have you could if your carefull but rember even a drill can kill so saftey is of the essance but good luck to you who knows later on in the year i might make an appearance might head over for a few days when glen goes and we could help out with ideas if you havent gotten anything built then (arena wise) and others stuff

also you could probably build an arena cheapish if you both throw in for it but you will need an area that it can stay or an area where you can move it to (its easyer if you can have it stationarry) using cyclone fenceing and some pvc sheeting but as i said safety first so as you upgrade your bots upgrade the arena (marryong arena started with a garage plastic sheet chicken wire and pvc pipe Very Happy)

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:32 pm 
Windhammer

hey al dont worry about buying remote control cars ive run out of money

Last edited by Windhammer on Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:33 pm 
Windhammer

@ Alex, what do you have agianst the other WA thread? your really made it sad when you created this one. Sad

@ Wayde ive made plans to turn an old bird avery into a arena, it's pretty much perfect apart from the dirt floor Very Happy but im sure i could lay some concrete slabs or something. (its about 4m long and 3m wide)

oh and on a sub note, i just bought an IBC Smile .

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:43 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

thats good and yeha gave up about 100 and buy the cement and get your dad brother mother uncle unty grand dad or who ever to lay the slab and get it level just somehting else some robots get close on a meter some times so you may have to extend it a little and if the roof isnt high enough it can be hard but from the sounds of it it shouldent be any trouble Smile

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:03 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
The RFL Rules are here
http://www.botleague.com/pdf/RFLTechRegs09.pdf

the FRA rules are here
http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/documents/buildrules.pdf

The RFL rules were released a long time before the FRA rules were published.. have a look at them both and tell me the FRA rules *weren't* taken from the RFL ones.

I have no idea why they would want to deny it. Some silly political motivation maybe ?

Yes they do look very similar. I have no explaination. I have put the question directly to the FRA to give them a chance to speak for themselves. Do you know what rules the RFL based theirs on?

Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:15 am 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

@ doug the last one wasn't getting any responses and this one is just to organize comps

had the same thought with no spinners

also thought of making two classes not to do with robowars but were cheap starter classes

begnner no spinners
1 to 3kg
cheap cars you buy at toy world for 30 to 50 bucks moded up for raming matches.

intermedt classes
4 to 7 kg
spinners under 250 rpm( or any adjustment can be made)
cheap cars but you can make heaver armor and up grades

i just thought it would be good to give kids goes and if they didn't wan't to get into the more expencive stuff they did't have to

Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:43 pm 
Windhammer

well i worked on the arena a lot today. i cleared everything out of the avery (including a 90kg rock) which took me liked half an hour to get out Confused . ive also had a look around for concrete slabs and there about $2.50 each.

the arena will be spinner proof to a certain extent, so no weapon motors over 2hp (dont want anyone being decapitated do we).

the arena is right next to a BBQ and a power point Very Happy.

ill get a picture tomorrow, its to dark atm.

Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:11 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

2hp Cool well ill just have to put a 4kg bar on there then Very Happy

It dont matter bout the hp realy its the weight o the wepon but yer no mag motors would be a good idea Razz

Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:19 pm