RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

robot wars UK help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

robot wars UK help

where is the UK robot wars forum ?

I'm actually trying to hunt down the team storm site which was at http://www.stormrobot.com/index1.html but I can't find it now.

has the site closed down or is my computer still stuffed? Sad

Post Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:46 am 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Looks like Team Storm forgot to / couldnt be bothered renewing their domain name . . .

ffej.net

Post Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eyce

Try www.teamstorm.com Razz

Post Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:25 am 
chris

hey ummm what actually happened to robotwars? I havent heard anything since typhoon won the 2003 series

Post Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:45 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Channel 5 dropped it. Head to www.extremefightingmachines.co.uk to get to the FRA UK Forums.

Post Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:49 am 
3Faze

UK Robot Wars is pretty much over, just the live circuit remains, in a fashion.

There's two main forums now:

www.fightingrobots.co.uk - the fighting robot's association
www.robotevents.co.uk - Black Top Productions

The Extreme Fighting Machines idea didn't happen, that site's a relic from last year.

Post Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:20 pm 
chris

why did they stop producing the show? did they feel it wasnt good enough or something?
sorry i'm really interested

Post Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:48 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Poor ratings.

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:58 am 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

thanks a lot everyone. Very Happy

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:19 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

From what I've heard, theres more to it than that. "Poor Ratings" is the simplified answer..

Poor ratings contributed to by a move to a bad timeslot caused by new management who didnt like the show much because it wasnt their creation, combined with growing competitor dissatisfaction over getting their expensive machines trashed by the increasingly ridiculously over the top house robots was the word I heard..

Also given that their target audience was supposedly 7-15yo boys, I imagine that would make it difficult to hold their attention for long with something they would dream of doing, and quickly discover that it was way out of their abilities and budget to do (unless you could hassle Dad into building you a bot.. and not many Dads would be capable of it either)

I personally think the sport can look forward to a period of slower but steady growth now that its off T.V and not subject to huge advertising, sponsorships and "TV-ised" formats.

The initial popularity boom caused by the TV was good to kick the ball off, but there are only so many minutes in a TV-Show and it was already turning into a "the top-10 well-known teams get all the TV time with hundreds of second-rate teams jockeying for a minor spot". Without the pressue of "ratings" to drive it, I think that team-exposure will be a lot more equal during the next few years.

Much better for everyone (except the top-10 who were enjoying the ride on the Gravy-Train Wink )

mmm, too chatty this morning.. Rolling Eyes

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:30 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Well, they should have shown it in australia. Mad !!!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:11 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i suspect quite possibly robot combats biggest bugger up aka the FRA world championships did nothing to help it either. seems to me like that was the killer of UK robotics. floating around the FRA forum there doesnt seem to be a huge deal of interest. but it could just be what brett was speaking of, a slower steadier development.

and im sure that having robotwars as essentially an all heavyweight affair did nothing to help the cause. not many people can build heavies really unless they fork out the big $$, and the possibilty of having them destroyed by big mumma house bots probably drove people away as well.

and i guess thats why the smaller classes with no house robot type competitions in the US and australia are so successful.

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
chris

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:

Also given that their target audience was supposedly 7-15yo boys, I imagine that would make it difficult to hold their attention for long with something they would dream of doing, and quickly discover that it was way out of their abilities and budget to do (unless you could hassle Dad into building you a bot.. and not many Dads would be capable of it either)

hmmm, i can see about the whole bad ratings thing but i dont see why there is any limit as to who can build the robots (refering to the so called target audience) and I say that anyone who wants to build a robot can (I was 11 when i built my first bot and i didnt have much help from my parents and havent since then) ! I think the main reason for the demise of robot wars, having taken all other points into account, is the pure lack of publicity, the show could have drawn 4.5 ratings easily if it had been advirtised as a primetime program and had been pushed as one for a certain period of time.

i hope i have not bored everyone with my views...
c'ya from chris

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:29 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

for sure anyone can build a featherweight (or any sub-light for that matter) but a heavyweight is a whole different kettle of fish Wink

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:34 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
not many people can build heavies really unless they fork out the big $$, and the possibilty of having them destroyed by big mumma house bots probably drove people away as well.

Wheely Big Cheese is the main examlpe here.

Personally I'd rather see robots appear on TV in the same way as the V8 Supercars are currently been shown. Both idividual race wins and an over all season tally, keeping the audiance knowing exactlly why a certain car is winning even if they have no idea whats going on, keep showing the interesting bits of the race and not the guy 10 km in front, as well as lots of action from the pit between the races.
Thats all they need. No stupid skits or acts to entertain the audiance, no diliberatly crashing cars because everyone like a crash, and not constantly talking about 1 team that wins everything (Ferrari and Formula 1, which I hate).

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger