www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Marauder - Home of Stig
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Sorry, I meant to say that if you are using BotBitz ESCs to run your drive motors, they will have plenty of spare power (insert praise for the quality of BotBitz here) and you will be able to plug the servo into the Rx. I did this in Abaddon.

I normally cut off the mounting ears to save weight and space. My servos are typically attached with double sided tape.

I am about to change my user profile and might have my account frozen. I won't be ignoring you if I don't reply quickly.

Post Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:08 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Cool-Thanks phillip

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:27 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Stig has come to the point where it needs an upgrade. The main problems are the high centre of gravity and the servo becoming unstuck.

Stig wheel stands under acceleration and goes up on one wheel during tight cornering. The other robots are getting better and better. The solution is to simply lower the centre of gravity.

The weapon servo is stuck to cutting board with double sided tape. This has come off at several events. It happened during the first fight on Saturday. I think the problem is the cutting board. The servos that are taped to polycarbonate stay in place.

Post Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:23 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Wild Fire

Wild Fire is a front hinged lifter sportsman. The drive is from two Panasonic 12 volt drills overvolted to 22.2 volt. They have been in use for many years. The weapon is powered by an 18 volt Milwaukee drill. I hope it will be able to turn over another sportsman. The armour is 3 mm mild steel.

This robot has two firsts for me: Ground clearance and a paint job. I should be practising driving but I keep repainting it trying to get it right.

The name is a combination of Fire Ant (one of my ant weights) and Wild Thing (Nick Adams' heavy weight) I tried to use similar dimensions to Fire Ant, but it ended up reminding me of Wild Thing.

Post Wed May 16, 2018 7:23 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Wild Fire did alright in it's first outing yesterday. It was quite fast and turned over robots if they were on the lifting arm.

The main problem that needs to be addressed is wheel standing under acceleration. I will try to move my wheels back. There is ~10 mm clearance behind the wheels. If this isn't enough, the back armour might need to be trimmed. The battery might be able to move from behind the wheels to in front of them.

Post Mon May 21, 2018 4:50 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Spring loaded wheely bars have been used with moderate success in the past for things like that.

Post Mon May 21, 2018 8:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

That could be a good solution. Do you know if they can be reliably retracted in case the robot gets stuck on the wheelie bar?

Post Tue May 22, 2018 3:58 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I don't think anybody has done anything like that. Mostly just either a fixed or spring loaded tab sticking out the back.

Post Tue May 22, 2018 9:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

NIce robot Phillip like how it’s just drills and just works 👍👍

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Tue May 22, 2018 10:11 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Dantomkia had a low pressure ram that actuated a tail to force the nose down to the floor.

Post Tue May 22, 2018 11:15 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks, Miles.

I wonder if a high torque servo would do anything. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/bms-35a-high-voltage-7-4v-coreless-digital-servo-w-titanium-alloy-gear-35-5kg-14sec-74g.html

There is 3 kg spare weight but space is limited.

Post Tue May 22, 2018 7:25 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Tested driving with a house brick for ballast (2.5 kg). It was much better behaved. It might be easiest to just add more metal to the front.

Post Sat May 26, 2018 12:29 pm 
Ondray

Yeah moving the center of gravity with some extra steel is a nice reliable low tech option if it'll fit in the design.

I don't think that servo would work, 35kg/cm of torque would only give you 3.5kg of force on a 10cm long bar, which is probably enough to hold the bot when stationary, but will be overcome when accelerating. Plus servo's hate external jolts hitting them, so it'd be an expensive common breakage.

Post Sat May 26, 2018 12:48 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

That makes sense.

Post Sat May 26, 2018 1:44 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Started to repair Fire Ant (front hinged ant weight). The Rx and B328 were cooked. I had placed them between the motors and the voltage regulator when I replaced the batteries. The bot stopped after 30 seconds of driving.

Tried using a DS939HV servo to get rid of the regulator, but it is jittery. This fault seems to occur when it is near other motors according to reviews on the HK site.

Will try to reposition the regulator away from the Rx and ESC and go back to a DS919MG. They have been quite reliable.

The replacement B328 came from Stig. Stig needs a redesign anyway.

Post Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:50 am