www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

VIC: Time for a State Series
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

VIC: Time for a State Series

Now that the big Gala RoboWars event is over, we vic builders need to discuss how often and how big we'd like to hold events...

I still have to negotiate with SideTracked as to the final location of the Arena and things like ongoing maintenaince costs of it and so on, but I want to get some feedback from the builders on how often you'd like to have smaller events so I know what to ask of SideTracked....

I'm thinking the next major event should be in the october school holidays (like we were going to this time but didnt get the arena done in time for), but there may well be some other interesting applications for the arena and public events in the much nearer future.. Wink

Given the destructiveness levels we are now starting to reach, I dont imagine anyone would want to hold a serious competitive event monthly ? How about every 6-8 weeks ? Any thoughts ?

Post Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Waddy the phoenix

ok well in my oppinion its better to have smaller events more regulary rather than big events far apart. even though robowars was great fun it had some points where i felt that i could have had just asmuch fun with the smaller events. something else i noticed is that because everything was so hurry hurry trying to get the matches done one after another because of the audiance you dident quite get the quality that i felt you get from the smaller more relaxed events. (i dident feel that there was enough robots there to have them so close together just my thought) but it was still good tho

Post Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:27 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Wayde, that is because there was 30 robots and a paying audience! The Vic guys will only have about 10-15 robots per small event and 6-8weeks is probably a good idea.

Post Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:53 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

I feel every 6 - 8 weeks would be good, prehaps as far as areana maintinance goes we could still pay $20 per bot per event with a really small prize (like a trophy only if that) and that money goes to areana maintinance. Even if the areana was setup on the car port and then if the public wants to watch they can.

Anyway at 8 weeks that's about 6 matches per year, probably just about right.

Post Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:19 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

2 moths sounds pretty good.

Im happy to have just a small prize like say a trophy would be nice to have a few to show off Very Happy

Where its held dosent bother me it would give us more practis and time to rebuild our bots if they got totally killed from the last fight.
Will atract more newbys as they wont be detered from the lack of constant fights.

Post Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:30 pm 
Eyce

quote:
Originally posted by Team Hell Bent!:

Yep, two moths sound pretty good, but don't they get annoying when you have a light on during the night? Razz

I personally think 8 weeks for every little event, so that it is equally spread out during the year, with the finale being RoboWars III, IV, V, etc. , every year.

Post Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:45 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
quote:

Yep, two moths sound pretty good, but don't they get annoying when you have a light on during the night?

Wait until Rick (The scheduling guy at RoboWars) sees this. His nickname (and his Team name) is "The Moth" (for reasons which go back about 20 years.. Wink)

Post Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

lmao. I remember Terry saying something on commentry when Vincent was ganging up against the lightweights about being attracted to the light like a moth Smile

If you guys have events every 8 weeks, some one will have to get into gear about producing some videos of them and getting them online Razz

*hides from Brett*

Post Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:25 am 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Eyce:
I personally think 8 weeks for every little event, so that it is equally spread out during the year, with the finale being RoboWars III, IV, V, etc. , every year.

Um.... 8 weeks is 2 months Laughing

Post Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:40 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
If you guys have events every 8 weeks, some one will have to get into gear about producing some videos of them and getting them online
*hides from Brett*

OK, You organise the events, I'll do the videos.. Razz

I will try and get videos done a bit quicker this time around, George and I will be working on the RoboWars II videos soon.. but I doubt I'll ever get to the Kero's speed..

Post Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:42 am 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

rowl

Post Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:47 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah 2 MOths would be about OK (If u kant baet im, jion em).

Not familiar with how points are scored but we should probably look at how its done interstate, then scrutinise it badly then come up with our own sysetm.
JUst kidding, would be good if we all where aiming for the same thing with points so eventually the comp can go national with relative ease.

I also think video is an important part and should be always included.
Video is our biggest audience and would like more emphasis on this.
I could help with some of the process, Dont have a digital camera or uploading capabilities but can do everything in between.

Was so happy that the Kkeeroos took videos of the Lightweights as it seems thats the only record of those fights.

Match practise and ironing out the tims is going to be very helpful and should make for better end of year fights with everyone that lives outside of Vic. Very Happy

Post Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:54 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Nexus:
Match practise and ironing out the tims is going to be very helpful and should make for better end of year fights with everyone that lives outside of Vic. Very Happy

You mean time Laughing

Post Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:07 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
OK, You organise the events, I'll do the videos..

mmm, tempting..... I'll just have to move to Melbourne for a few months Cool

Post Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:16 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nexus:

You mean time Laughing

THanks for correcting my spelling, what I meant was ironing out the bugs but must have made a typo. lol
Since you seem to know how to spell woud u mind spelling my name correctly as well as my robots name.
THanks Tom lol

Post Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:52 pm