www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Circular saw motors
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Circular saw motors

Just a small question, at marayong 9 I noticed that most circular saw motors that you guys were using looked the same. Just wondering where you guys got it and what voltage it runs on. I was thinking along the lines of a batt powered angle grinder, but haven't yet seen such a thing. Thanks in advance! Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:29 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

All the saws are powered by car fan motors that you can pick up from most car wreckers. Some of the motors are very weedy and stall too easily, you want the largest one you can find (within reason). Euro cars are often a good source for larger motors. Prices vary upwards from $10 to $40 and pricier doesn't mean better, just rarer. Everyone runs the motors on 12 up to 24V.

The motor shaft is also important. Many fan motors have what's called a D shaft, which is about 6 to 8mm wide and has a large flat section cut into it. This is hard to mount a saw to unless you can make an adaptor on a lathe or use an expensive gadget called a Trantorque bush.

A better motor shaft is one with an adaptor already attached. These are a wide disk with 3 mounting holes. Its fairly easy to drill some matching holes in your saw blade and pop it straight on.

Another thing to consider with a saw bot is to use a smaller diameter blade with as many teeth as possible. This way, the motor is less likely to stall or over heat and you will be able to inflict more damage.

Finally, if you want a pre-made solution, Dewalt make a fantastic 18V cordless angle grinder. It could be adapted to a bot with very little work and if you have a spare $640 Shocked , its just the ticket!

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:11 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Do you know how it was done on orbit? Was an adapter used? (sorry , i'm TERRIBLE at names)!!! Mad But yours is easy to remember, nick. Very Happy

Also, why woould a cordless anglegrinder cost so much, when cordless drills are so cheap? It would just use a different motor and gears, wouldn't it? (and mabey more batteries.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:26 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

No one remembers little Hellbringer and its saw. Its a shame. It still works perfectly after 18 months. It cost me about $20 to make that weapon too. Just a air compressor motor (actually a drill motor is bigger), a rubber model plane wheel, some old bearings, some threaded rod and a circular saw.
I remember the first time we tested it at Chris's place and the coke bottle went over the neighbours fnce. Scared the crap out of me. Damn that was a long time ago.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Andrew is Orbit's owner

Comparitivly speaking, thats not that bad for a Dewalt grinder. Take a look at their cordless drills, there up there at the $300-800 range, there a bit better made than your typical XU1 though Razz

ffej.net

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

one says "Dewalt" the other says "XU-1"

check out what a dewalt drill is worth for comparison

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
andrew

Well orbits saw is a dewalt saw blade (good quality 33 dollar one) and the motor is a tr magna fan motor i think. Its a large one which i have discovered to have lots of torque and a awesome top speed. The motor already has a round funky sorta mounting plate to it with tapped holes already drilled all ready for the right size nut to pass through blade and mounting dealy.

I run it at 24 volts and so far very little has stalled the thing. the only time i can remember is once against cobra, It has taken on steel hammer on nicks ld thwakbot hammer cutting through 5mm ali and going slightly into teh wteel hammer head and cutting up the mounting arms, it has also grinded away (although not causing damage) on Ko's 3mm steel armour brick bot although it still didnt stall and produced some nice sparks.

Nick has some more of the same motors if u want to buy one off him maybe but i want at least one more i think for a spare.

AT the fun event if its happening on 18th or whenever ill bring the assembly along and show u in great detail how everything is done so u can have a look at how simple an effective weopon can be. Pitty the rest of the robot isnt as effective as the weopon hey. Very Happy.

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:06 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Also, why woould a cordless anglegrinder cost so much, when cordless drills are so cheap? It would just use a different motor and gears, wouldn't it?

Dewalt gear is considered to be about the best U can get - its WAY better quality than The budget chinese stuff like XU1 drills. I only mentioned it 'cause I'm lusting after one myself, but still haven't gotten over the price tag Smile As far as I know, it's the ONLY cordless angle grinder available in Australia.

Another reason why builders use fan motors is that they are 'pancake' shaped (flat & wide) and are ideal for making bots with horizontal saws. If you were to make a vertical saw weapon, you could a wider range of ex-car motors.

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:46 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

An interesting point raised by Rick (Team Moth) the other day was that DeWalt has now been bought by Black and Decker who are (in his opinion) proceeding to "milk" the brand for its reputation of high quality allowing them to charge high prices, whilst significantly lowering the quality by phasing in their own production facilities and models under the DeWalt brand..

Translated, Dewalt is nowhere near as good as they used to be and rapidly getting worse..

I went to buy some DeWalt chuck-screws (to replace the crappy metal ones in the chinese drills) from their "service center" the other day, and sure enough the same service center is both a DeWalt and Black and Decker service center, and if the apparent competence level of the staff in there was anything to go by, there may well be some truth in what he says.. They certainly didnt appear to have any clue, interest or give a damn about anything..

Any other Tradesmen who use DeWalt products noticed this ?

Last edited by Spockie-Tech on Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hey brett i went to that service center at ringwood i think?? its to buggery out in the middle of no where out past knox i believe and yeah black and decker and dewalt are in the same center.

the guy quoted me *$88* dollars for an 18v motor and had no idea what the left handed screws where for unless i gave him the part number (even after that he still couldnt chase them down..). hopefully the homebush bay one will be more competant.

as for fan motors the flat flat ones do have one problem, they use a spinning copper plate above a big flat magnet with like a 2mm gap. if you get a huge hit there going to bend into each other and cease working - which in case you didnt know is bad Very Happy

Post Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:48 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

I've seen some petrol cordless angle grinders with little 33cc motors on them. They were only $450 IIRC. So Dewalt obviously arn't the only ones making them in Aus.

For saw blades, I would stick to a max size of 8inch and use 24v. Also, don't mount your blade on an angle, it cause problems. Our saw blade on Haemorrhage has survived a lot of pounding, from saw to saw impacts on Scoopy Doo at RoboWars breaking scoopy's arm and losing a tooth or two to cutting off Ball Peens batteries. With the blade mounted on a 45` angle, it causes a few problems to the bearings in the motor and the blade has come out a bit buckled afew times, but nothing that couldn't be fixed. Haemorrhage has had the same weapon motor in it for over a year now and is still going strong for a 12v motor.

Post Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:36 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Cool, thanks for all the help! Sorry andrew, I can't make it to the fun event on the 18th 'cause I'll be on holiday. (mabey next time eh?) And with petrol anglegrinders, I don't think their alowed in the sydney comp yet. (may be wrong).

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Last edited by dyrodium on Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:13 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

theres no limit on petrol engines at marayong as far as i know.. angle grinders i dont think so..

Post Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:15 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

tim - i got two saw blades at the markets.

one is 240mm and about 40t im guessing and is all mild steel im sure (seeing as its rusted all the way to the tips of the teeth and at a guess carbide doesnt rust?)

the other is about 235mm and has at least 60t same as before.

40t - http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=606
60t - http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=605

Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:57 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

The Cheese wedge uses an angle grinder gear box with the 240 volt motor cut off and the origional motor shaft center drilled so that a 300psi compresor motor can be press fitted into it.

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:36 pm