www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Marayong Ahnialator 2005
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well welch your the one whos proposing all of this, so you organise the damn thing.

refbot has been good in that it hasnt been in commision for a while, the last event it wasnt too bad, except for wayde using it as a shield LOL.

if you want my opinion just change the whole annihilator format all together so we have tons more people in the arena, like 8 at a time robot wars style. thats what i intended last year but it somehow got dumbed down to 3...

and if you think 8 isnt possible we had at least that in the last rumble, boy howdy was it hectic Very Happy

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:01 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I think the 'ganging up' is part of the contest, rather like the underground politics in the Survivor TV show. It's hard to like it after recieving a 2 to 1 beating, but the challenge is to make the situation work for you rather than let it beat you.

More bots per match would be more exciting and IMHO even out the teaming problem a little (if that's what people want). Eight bots would burn up the field rather fast, but 4 to 5 might work and facilitate the ideas below.

Perhaps we could try something new and go with a format that had fewer but larger matches and promoted the whole politics and planning aspect? Too bad we don't have a local Discovery Channel as it could make watchable TV (or perhaps I'm just dreaming Smile )

Let's kick around a few different ideas on scoring that could either promote or remove the teaming issue:

Having each match end when there is only one robot working would lessen the appeal of being in a alliance. Adding a time limit (5 minutes ?) would remove the 'best batteries win' problem. In the case that more than one bot was still working, points would be divided equally.

If we wanted to increase the alliance aspect, we could make each match go for a set maximum time or until the remaining competitors called a truce. This would be an interesting political play; competitors could form private alliances and share points if they won, or the alliance survivors could decide to go at each other if they thought they could grab more points.

As Jake said, my grandmother is right up for sale! Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:31 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I was under the same impression as Glen about the Annihilator being 5-6 robots in the arena at once, true RW style.

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:20 am 
andrew

i agree with glen on that. having say 6 probably and 2 nswalesman, 2 queenslanders and 2 victorians would make it interesting i thnk.

Also glen can u stop being so abrupt and rude in your attitude in "u run the damn thing".

All i did was start a thread my boy to throw up idea's i did not mention running everything. plus last years onw wasnt run by a single person it was a joint effort in us making arena better, all peeps talking about it over forum and everyone producing a damn good show and a great event.

if i am mistaken please correct me on this.

Also jeff J please post something soon as to whether we can have this event again.

Also some more ideas is prizes as in people donating parts or something towards main prize or i say we each bring in 5 or 10 bucks and put it in a jar and the winner recieves all money in that jar.

Just ideas anyway

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:23 pm 
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

April 23/24 or July 9/10 look good to me. Both weekends are at the end of a weeks holidays so I would have ample time to set up.

Post Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:04 am 
Waddy the phoenix

i like nicks ideas realy Smile

Post Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:18 am 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

if you want multiple bots say 4 5 or 6 bots in one match good luck if after 5 min there are 4 still running ........i can hear the winging amd complaining already ...a judges nightmare Confused
once again ,if you have an idea please have a way of making it happen and at the same time please think about all the possible senarios .....

we seem to have enough apparent controversy with 2 bots often enough, so how the hell would judges be judging a battle with 6bots in it ......or is it a matter of 'who has the best batteries' wins

maybe i see robot battling different to everyone else ....to me its
my design,workmanship,effort ,driving skills versus another one ...if you want team sports ,thats where tag team comes in or even soccer and the like ......
annhilators,and similar are 1 on 1 battles not team and folks who make them team events in my opinion dont have enough faith in their own abilities and need to have the aid of others to achieve their goals and it is not in the spirit of a 1 on 1 fight ......
if we need to turn robot battling into games of sceaming and plotting just to keep it interesting ,themn im concerned .......if you want stratergy and plots ,play bloody monopoly .....and keep the complicated bullshit out of a simple 1on 1 kickarse contest ....where the looser goes back to the workshop and drawing board ,and not to there so called partner and ask eachother what went wrong

Last edited by chrisjon65 on Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:46 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Actually Chris, the real RW style Annihilation are 5-6 bots in the arena at once, but they remove only 1 robot per battle, the remaining ones that survive get to hit the pits and get charged up for the next round. IF more then one robot dies each match, just keep counting down till there is only 1 winnner, this bot is then placed into a final winners annihilator.

If you haven't got my idea, I'll draw it up as it will be a hell of a lot easier to understand visually.

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:50 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

so how long would say it take to get through a comp like that ? Very Happy

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:55 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

just working on a group of 30 robots, it would be 25 battles max in the first round followed by 4 more rounds to get a winner, its roughly 29 battles or less.

A 5min battle every 10 mines means 4 battles an hour which is about 7-8 hours of constant battling, maybe 10hrs at teh very most if all 29matches happen, plus including lunch breaks and problems along the way.

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:59 pm 
andrew

also as known to all robot comps there is always one person who turns up late and screws it all up putting us out by an hour or two so u have to consider that also.

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:55 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Simple solution. Schedule the fights (As we are). If you're late showing up for your fight, you lose and the person who is there gets a bye..

That should fix the lateness fairly quickly.

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Would be good to come up with some standard rules as it seems we are making this up as we go.
My only advise at this point would be to learn from our own history.

There are many issues from our first event that had mixed feelings and we should be using those incidents as real life examples and come up with solutions or we will do the same stuff again.

Could end up being a very woosy comp if 6 robots go in till one is out the way it is atm. Hate to see a match were everyone is running away from Elb because first one to get flipped is out immediately.

Dont even know if its supposed to be a 3 minute match or 5 seconds if thats all it takes to flip someone.
Some robots were given 30 secs to get back in the game when flipped but some were not.
Then all the other robots move on, pat themselves on the back for doing nothing but watch someone else get it first.

It sounds like we are playing musical chairs, can we just work out a way to fight each other for the duration of the match please.
I like the concept of the Anihilator but think atm its more of an Eliminator as the focus is on surving and not fighting.
I just dont like 5 - 10 second matches, very boring.
I think the problem is all the focus is to take one robot out.
There it is, the problem.

I would just throw a bunch of robots in the arena. let them fight for 3 mins and then sort them at the end by dead or alive. then matches can go the distance.
The robots deemed dead can have some double eliminations to be able to be in at least two fights.
That way you can have it that a robot is out when deemed dead 2 or 3 times and robots will be more inclined to take someone out rather than just surving.

Maybe I am biased but I would prefer the competition to be setup for complete 3 minute matches not first one out as that creates complications with ganging up etc.

I would rather a comp where the moto is ‘Kill them all’ rather than ‘lets get that guy’/
JUst a thought anyway

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:12 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

yip;pie ... wait now im suffering conflicting ideas i like nicks ideas but i also like nexus's ideas ooooooo shoot how bout a poll that might be able to sort it out a bit easyer to work out what er we want Confused

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:46 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
5min battle every 10 mines means 4 battles an hour

I like the intensity of Arron's schedule, but nobody except perhaps Brett could possibly recharge in that short time. Teams with 4 sets of NiCADs would have a chance, guys with 1 or 2 SLA batteries would be out of power by the third round.

George's fixed 3 minute bouts would lead to a faster attrition rate and fewer matches in total, which would allow more pit and recharge time. If we add a "last bot standing" clause, it then becomes 3 minutes or one working bot to stop a match.

With that format, there is still plenty of scope for between battle bargaining and deal making and George's proposals are pretty much in tune with mine. If the battle ends with the first knockout, then the only real strategy is "get the toughest bot first". With up to 3 or 5 minutes and multiple knockouts, the format get WAY more interesting!

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:56 pm