www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Micro-switch controler
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hey brett about that runaway thing,

i can often replicate a similar situation by setting all the rates on the radio to 100% and just holding on full power for about 2 seconds and it seems to keep going for another second before stopping despite taking my finger off the trigger.

i suspected it was just some signals being bigger than 2.3ms or whatever the limit was hence i reduced the servo limiters etc and i havent noticed it anymore.

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

with the post to remotly control the shut off of you robot. i thought you would need just a drill switch atached to a remote switch should be able to take care of your power problem. that is what i was going to use on budgo to control the failsafe as well as the weapon.
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:34 pm 
andrew

i dont understand sorry. is that a switch on radio that when u push it a servo mechanically pushes a off switch or something??

if so there sone problem and thats if your bot goes outacontroll that servo wont respond from radio anyway's

if i am wrong i apologise and please correct.

thanks.

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:09 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Big AL:
with the post to remotly control the shut off of you robot. i thought you would need just a drill switch atached to a remote switch should be able to take care of your power problem. that is what i was going to use on budgo to control the failsafe as well as the weapon.

Er . . . .. failsafe ? Wouldnt that just be compounding the problem ? Im guessing your planning on using a servo to control the drill switch, and servo's dont failsafe when the RX looses signal or gets a crap pulse. So although you could use it to control the power to the bot providing the radio system remains intact, theres nothing to stop the power staying on after signal loss.

BTW, if you can run your whole bot / weapon through a drill controller without blowing it up, it must have bugger all power, as im pretty sure they would either melt (or current limit on the XU1's up to a point) with little more than 20A continuous, 20X12V = 240W in, less than 140W out . . .

ffej.net

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I wonder why they don't make servos with in-built faisafes?

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

kkeerroo, probbly cost an extra 30 cents

andrew
have a big switch, connected to a servo, servo has a spring return on it so that if the servo isnt recieving valid data the spring will overcome it and push the servo horn back and thus the switch. All power to the bots *drive* and weapon systems goes through that switch. reciever presumablly runs off its own pack.

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

If your going to put a return spring on a servo, might as well buy a servo with metal gears then, because the Razer Team tried that on Warhead to cut the motor back if it failsafed and just kept stripping gears. They eventually bought one of those $300 digital servos with titanium gears in them.

Why can't people just spend $30 for a FS-1 failsafe?

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:12 pm 
andrew

because then your up for nearly 100 buckersroonies for 3. two for each drive and 1 for weopon.

NO thanks. if it can be done cheaper than ill choose that. if u can come up with a cheaper way then i am all for it.

@Jake- good idea, costs u a servo, maybe a few 100 grams and some extra work but if it failsafes then cool. what about something similar then having your on/off switch idea also so servo hits it and kills everything. that could have been what u were implying if so sorry.

i thought u meant a on/off toggle switch dealyo.

ALso could u post or send me a wiring diagram for that switch and what bits i need etc etc. thanks.
u rock.

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:36 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

im personally not 100% concerned on making you get a real failsafe on the drive welch, but for all our sakes PLEASE buy a working off the shelf failsafe for the weapon.

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

It is worrying that there are some people that don't take safty seriously in this sport.

These robot (not all,) have the ability to cut, rip, break limbs..

Isn't that enough to have a failsafe that every one know's works and works well.

The one thing everyone needs to remember, is that the arena is a safe place for a robot. Out side of the arena is where the danger is.

The owner of the bot may know what they are doing, but there are others around the robot that has no idea. there is the biggest danger.

and what if something does go wrong. You need to have a safe reliable way to turn the robot off.

I would much rather spend $100 on failsafes knowing that when I want the robot to turn off it is, than having to go to hospital because the robot hit me, or even worse hit some one else Crying or Very sad

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:33 pm 
andrew

agreed there ajax and very good point and i am certainly having a failsafe on the rebuild of orbit whether it be a off the shelf or purpose made one.

The times when scraps saw blade got triggered i made sure that nobody was near it when i tested it and it got stuck or twitched and bumped the switch etc etc.

Glen u dont need a off the shelf failsafe.

I plan just one failsafing deadly that shuts off the series connection between the two batts or one wire in teh one batt.

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:31 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

that is what i was getting at one on-off switch to disconect the battery from the robot. by using the controler to turn it on off in the arena it save people from having to go near it (pretty bloody good idea when budgo is fully operatonal) and so if you lose signal a spring mearly has to push it in to place to switch it off.
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:31 pm 
cerberus3112

Can anybody please repost the servo wiring diagram please preferably soon??? I dont want to go soldering anything until I have instructions and a diagram.

Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:11 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Speedbump ran home made spring return failsafing.

It had a custom servo setup with large rubber bands that would return the servo's to centre. It worked fine, and I never had a problem with it, but if I was running anyhting more than an 8kg robot with no weapon I would look at building something a bit more engineered. Though it did work better than most electronic ones I have tried.

Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:33 pm 
Woody

Here's a selection of servo /switch based motor control options.

http://www.rctankcombat.com/articles/speed-control/

Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:52 pm