RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Hellbringer X and Loki - Hellfire Labs - QLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by kkeerroo:
Got to go. I am getting odd looks from the girls in the clean room. Not supposed to use the test equipment to surf the web. Cool

Nah. They are just hot for your bod.

Post Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:23 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I would just like to say that stock Chinese cordless drill gearboxes suck! Evil or Very Mad
No matter who much work I do on them they continue to stuff me around. All metal gears inside, cleaned and re-greased, grub-screws in the clutch holes, mounts designed to hold the case together and prevent the gearbox from turning and the damn things still come apart! I don't care what anyone says they are worthless for use in a ramming box. Sure, you can use them to just move a robot from one point to another but they will be used in Hellbringer no-more!!!
Now I need to save up for those very nice looking SS2 gearboxes. Until then Hellbringer will sit on the shelf.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Well the new version of Hellbringer is now half built.
I have chosen to use Waddys idea of a steel outer frame providing most of the structual strength (TSNG). The outside of the robot is made from 60mm steel tubing with a wall thickness of of 3mm, very similar to that used by the Brisbane city counsels street signs Cool . I cut it into two lengths then cut it down the middle to form semi-circular lengths, shaped the ends and welded them together. My new gearboxes will be held inside by lengths of UHMW polyethelene panels running from front to back.
And for those who don't know, the robot will be driven by HTI motors through SS2 gearboxes. I know these have had a lot of bad press on the American forums but I believe that they just wern't using the gearboxes correctly. Firstly they removed the HTI motors and replaced them with dewalts which the gearboxes arn't designed for (that is what dewalt gearboxes are for). Secondly the robots in question are middle-weights (Greenwave) and the builders did not support both ends of the output shafts of the gearboxes which would add a lot of lateral movement to the gearbox. I will be supporting both ends of the output shafts.
People have also said that these are just re-cased handi-works drills (like XU1s) but I opened one up and had a look and while looking similar I would say they are of higher quality.
Personally I like the look of them and can't wait to see how they do.
Pics coming soon.

Post Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:00 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

They may be of higher quality but when you break one from then on your gonna have to use xu1's or import handyworks drills.

So will you be using your victor 883's?

Post Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:09 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I have never broken the internals of a xu1 gearbox before so why will I break these? I spent 3 months reserching diferent gearbox/motor combos before settling on these. I wasn't worried about the money (I would still be saving now if I had to). I belive these are the best gearboxes for my aplication.
As for the victors, they are the only controlers I own so what else am I going to use?

Post Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:10 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

I didnt know they were the only controlers you owned.

Was just wondering as im reserching what motors people are using with these controllers for furter projects and things.

So far i have found 2 sucessfull middle weight bots that are running ev's on 24v 6 inch wheels and 6-1 reduction and have emailed them asking how there victor 883's are holding up on that setup but have had no replys.

Post Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:14 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Hellbringer is about ready to go. Gave it it's first test drive last night and am very happy with it. It is slower than the old one but I would say it has greater acceleration. The old one couldn't stand up on it's rear wheels. The new version has more ground clearence without the wedge what with the chassis being only 60mm high and rolling along on 150mm wheels. But this does allow the robot to run nicely around the back yard and through the garden.
Just need to add the top cover and the hindged wedge on the front and it's good to go.

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:01 am 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Just thought id tells ya i am buying some ss2 motors to fit onto a xu1 gearbox as george sez they fit nicely so will post details on how they go when i get em.

Why didnt you try that first? Would be cheaper then the ss2 gearboxe housings for the xu1 drill gears and as you sed you have never broke a drill gearbox would save you a bit of moneys.

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:53 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
I have never broken the internals of a xu1 gearbox before so why will I break these?

quote:
Why didnt you try that first? Would be cheaper then the ss2 gearboxe housings for the xu1 drill gears and as you sed you have never broke a drill gearbox would save you a bit of moneys.

Hellbringer doesn't break the internals of gear boxes, just the crappy chinese plastic gear box casings. SS2's are a very solid aliminium block that doubles as a structural element.

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:58 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Try some better mounts then. eg. Nicks ones.

IIRC you didnt have the drills mounted very solid in hellbringer and i can see by looking at a pic i took wgy you would be breaking the plastic casings.

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:55 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

As I said before, I spent many months reserching different gearboxes and bought what I still believe to be the best for my application. What I havn't said yet is that a few months ago I bought a HTI motor (there is no such thing as a SS2 motor) to test on a XU1 gearbox. The two screws on the face plate are set wider apart than the 550s so new holes are needed in the gearbox. But I still wanted to get away from the plastic cased gearboxes with clutches.

My money. My gearboxes. My choice.
I don't care what other people say.

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:53 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Yes i know its a hti motor but i call it a ss2 motor cos its lathed down and fitted with a small gear for the ss2 gearbox.

Yes i allso know there is a small amount of modifying to fit them on as george has done it with a few diff gearboxes.

AND ok yes i know its your choich i was just suggesting that idea as it was cheaper and thought you might not have thought of it.

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:03 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

As I keep saying over and over, I HAVE SPENT MONTHS RESERCHING MOTORS AND GEARBOXES!!! I know of MANY diferent options. Please stop telling me what I should and shouldn't do in MY thread! Evil or Very Mad

And here is a photo of Hellbringer almost done.
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=733
please note the tape over the motor vents to prevent filings getting the motors while under construction.

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:46 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Looks good anyway Wink

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:59 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

You should use a different gearbox. Atleast you should have done some research.

Imagines puffs of smoke coming from ears.

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:18 pm